Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo 64

Options
  • 12-06-2013 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭

Audio/Video Cable has all but left me (R.I.P) Anyone have any idea where to get an adequate replacement sooner rather than later? Was using this bad boy but was wondering can ye use the Gamecube AV cables?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

snes, cube, n64 should be all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

So the Gamecube definitely works with the N64 ya? Whats the output on it like in comparison to the old dodgy single vcr wire do ye know?

I believe a PAL N64 is limited to composite video only. It's still better than the RF modulator though.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    So the Gamecube definitely works with the N64 ya? Whats the output on it like in comparison to the old dodgy single vcr wire do ye know?

BIG improvement, It's as good as it gets for a pal console. I think there was some French PAL N64 that can be modded but it's mainly NTSC machines that go RGB.

Cheers guys. So just a GameCube composite anywhere online should do me? Been dying for some Zelda and GoldenEye.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys. So just a GameCube composite anywhere online should do me? Been dying for some Zelda and GoldenEye.

It's the best 3 euro you will ever spend, don't forget to chuck that rf adapter in the bin when you get your new cable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Monkeykube wrote: »
    BIG improvement, It's as good as it gets for a pal console. I think there was some French PAL N64 that can be modded but it's mainly NTSC machines that go RGB.

It's far from the best you can get for a PAL console. Consolegoodsuk sells a modified s-video cable for PAL N64s. That's the best cable you can get for the system and is a massive improvement over composite which looks terrible.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's far from the best you can get for a PAL console. Consolegoodsuk sells a modified s-video cable for PAL N64s. That's the best cable you can get for the system and is a massive improvement over composite which looks terrible.

Hmm, this is news to me. :eek: Interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'll second that. The N64 s-video cables look so close to RGB that I'm not even gonna bother modding my ntsc N64. Go with the consolegoods cable, it's by far the best.

PAL gamecubes don't output s-video so if you go the s-video route that cable won't work on a gamecube. Retros correct about the s-video cable being superior to composite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

PAL gamecubes don't output s-video so if you go the s-video route that cable won't work on a gamecube. Retros correct about the s-video cable being superior to composite.

Retro is talking about the N64, there's a modified svideo cable for it which is the best option. The PAL Gamecube output's RGB natively :)

Okay. So for a quick fix; Gamecube. Otherwise attempt to source that guys majigamabob from his site?

Okay. So for a quick fix; Gamecube. Otherwise attempt to source that guys majigamabob from his site?

I don't know what that lad charges but Consolegoods are 10 sterling plus postage for that cable versus less than 3 euro for the composite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't know what that lad charges but Consolegoods are 10 sterling plus postage for that cable versus less than 3 euro for the composite.

The composite cable is a waste of money. For the extra money you spend you will get a massive improvement in visual quality comapred to composite for all your games. Let's face it, composite looks like absolute ass especially on the N64. Consolegoods is the only place that sells those cables since they have to be specially modified to work with PAL N64's. I can safely say it's the best thing I bought for the system.

You can get them from his site or his ebay account. Make sure you get the PAL modded cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

+1 for consolegoods

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The composite cable is a waste of money. For the extra money you spend you will get a massive improvement in visual quality comapred to composite for all your games. Let's face it, composite looks like absolute ass especially on the N64. Consolegoods is the only place that sells those cables since they have to be specially modified to work with PAL N64's. I can safely say it's the best thing I bought for the system.

You can get them from his site or his ebay account. Make sure you get the PAL modded cables.

Doesn't say much for the console when a cable is your best purchase :pac:

Hold on a moment though, did you get Goldeneye for it yet? Actually Superman would be a good buy also and make sure to watch the movie, apparently Supes has a full grown curly beard. It's all serious ya know.

I would agree that the N64 wouldn't have the biggest library. I might pick up one of them cables, I don't play loads of N64 games but if they're as good as the lads say they're worth that. Far cheaper than modding for rgb and I only picked up a new game from Steve during the week.

Advertisement