Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owning bulletproof vests in Ireland?

Options
  • 12-06-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but does anyone know if there are any issues/restrictions with the private ownership of bulletproof vests here? I'm thinking of starting a bit of a collection :)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 43 Jacques Mesrine

Are you preparing for war? I' only guessing but it may under the firearms act.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

half inch AR500 plate will stop lead core 338 Lapua, I use it for my silhouette targets.
    I don't think I'd like to wear a vest made from it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Do you mean collecting flak jackets? or bullet proof vests?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

enfield wrote: »

I hope you didn't Buy them Off eBay Ireland in late 2007-ish - big hoo haa over that then - they knew they were made of non- bulletproof ( cardboard!) materials but couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it. ( liability).

Owning them Can't be illegal but will raise a few questions if your house is ever raided or your search-ability ever profiled!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

I can vaguely remember the cops trying to bring charges against some Anto D Scumbag type a few years back for having one but it was thrown out by the judge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Definately the must have look for Limerick court appearances

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭King John The Last

I'm looking at currentish issue military vests. Most of them are bulletproof these days. I might pick up a Vietnam era flak jacket but i'm looking for advice on bulletproof vests. I won't be wearing them out and about, they are just for collecting and enjoying at home. I have a few fake airsoft ones already but, I want to start into the real deal, with hard and soft armour.

kieranfitz wrote: »
    I can vaguely remember the cops trying to bring charges against some Anto D Scumbag type a few years back for having one but it was thrown out by the judge

I heard about this before and its whats making me nervous. Does anyone have more info on this case. What exactly was he accused of? Why was he acquitted?

There is a military show in Naas Racecourse on Saturday and Sunday week, there are usually flak jackets and other militaria for sale at these shows. Buying flak jackets on ebay is expensive as they are heavy and the postage can cripple you

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Asporadic

Its a popular look with a lot of teenagers these days. And Im not talking about "antos" either. Im talking more about the "wannabe gangsters" who come from wealthy backgrounds. Anyway if you can afford it the moncler jackets are fairly popular with some of the students I teach. And I have to say, it does look very real, and apparantly the few people that have been wearing them in the school havent had any issues with the Gardai.

Heres a quick google result to give you an idea of the moncler:

skepta+vs+n+dubz.png

• Advertisement

This is the kind of thing that I am looking for http://www.ebay.ie/itm/US-Army-Camo-ACU-Improved-outer-tactical-Vest-Soft-Armour-Body-Flak-Good-/271220346038?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3f25fe0cb6#ht_500wt_1288
    I heard a news article one time on how some english company was making a mint selling stab proof school uniforms. That was only in england though and the laws could be different here. Also, I don't know if they offered any ballistic protection. Do those moncler jackets offer any actual protection do you know or are they just for show?

I see if I can get to the military show in Naas and have a look around.:)

These lads make load bearing equipment for the Army, drop them a pm, they may be able to help you, ask for Sean.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/AIME-Association-of-Irish-Military-Enthusiasts/160989397295056?fref=ts

These lads make load bearing equipment for the Army, drop them a pm, they may be able to help you, ask for Sean.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/AIME-Association-of-Irish-Military-Enthusiasts/160989397295056?fref=ts

I'll give it a try, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

I have one that i used for work, I never register it or have any papers, and the local police have been close to me while i wore it no question asked. Answer to your question do not know!. Could'n see a problem collection them tho i have lots of old and new Military gear that i collect and have displayed them and was never told off.

I have one that i used for work, I never register it or have any papers, and the local police have been close to me while i wore it no question asked. Answer to your question do not know!. Could'n see a problem collection them tho i have lots of old and new Military gear that i collect and have displayed them and was never told off.

Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking? Did your employer give it to you or did you import it or what? It is reassuring to hear that you were not bothered by police :)

My first one i purchase on Adverts {Careful when buying second hand make sure the fiber is good and no tears that would wreaking the overall strength} I purchase one before starting work but my employer so far has not mention supplying one. Do you mind me asking what type of work it is you will be doing or is it just collecting?.

My first one i purchase on Adverts {Careful when buying second hand make sure the fiber is good and no tears that would wreaking the overall strength} I purchase one before starting work but my employer so far has not mention supplying one. Do you mind me asking what type of work it is you will be doing or is it just collecting?.

I am just collecting. Ill go have a look on Adverts now, see if there is anything nice up, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Why would it be illegal to own a bullet proof vest?

I mean they can't hurt anyone so I don't see a reason for them to be outlawed.

:confused:

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Why would it be illegal to own a bullet proof vest?

I mean they can't hurt anyone so I don't see a reason for them to be outlawed.

:confused:

Exactly my thoughts. However, lots of things are lots of weird laws out there for no good reason and i want to be rather than sorry.

Exactly my thoughts. However, lots of things are lots of weird laws out there for no good reason and i want to be rather than sorry.

Just checked adverts now found a couple all fine if just collecting, But like i said its needs to be perfect if using as defensive clothing one tear could affect the whole fiber wreaking the entire structure of the vest.

Do you collect vintage/current Military clothing also?.

• Advertisement

Just checked adverts now found a couple all fine if just collecting, But like i said its needs to be perfect if using as defensive clothing one tear could affect the whole fiber wreaking the entire structure of the vest.

Do you collect vintage/current Military clothing also?.

I have a decent collection collection of mainly current uniforms, field gear and the like :)

I have a decent collection collection of mainly current uniforms, field gear and the like :)

Cool i started collecting few years back,

Advertisement