Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to kilkenny soon :/

Options
  • 12-06-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,

my ex partner is adamant she can provide a better life for our 2yo son living in Ireland rather then England. I was concerned at first for a few reasons but I have decided we should at least try the move. I am basically looking for some information off of people who live/lived in Kilkenny about what its like for bringing up a child, so im guessing education, cost of living, opportunities for my son when he is older and last but not least... religion :/ (I am not at all religious but still love the world and its contents and also do not disrespect people who choose to have faith in a religion) also for me personally I will be completely starting again as my ex has lived there before so knows a lot of people where as I have not been. so I love djing, music production and nature/wildlife im also a trained chef so if anyone knows of any places I could meet people with similar interests??? think that's all for now, any help would be appreciated

cheers

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I grew up here, and subsequently lived in cork, dublin and galway. Kilkenny a nice place.

There's a great music scene in Kilkenny for a town its size, and loads of good quality restaurants for a town its size as well so there's two plusses for you.

It's also (arguably) a lot nicer than towns of a similar size in Ireland and it's got a great little arty vibe to it that you don;t see as much in other places except for larger cities like cork or galway

I heard on the radio today that Ireland is second only to Israel in all of Europe (is Israel in Europe???) in the amount of time it spends teaching religion to kids. :eek: Ireland is a lot more ethnically diverse than it was say 15 years ago though so I suppose you're lucky that you're moving now.

Cost of living would probably be on par with larger UK cities - Ireland is dear enough for groceries compared to UK. You can check typical rents and house prices for KK or anywhere on www.daft.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

djday1984 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

my ex partner is adamant she can provide a better life for our 2yo son living in Ireland rather then England. I was concerned at first for a few reasons but I have decided we should at least try the move. I am basically looking for some information off of people who live/lived in Kilkenny about what its like for bringing up a child, so im guessing education, cost of living, opportunities for my son when he is older and last but not least... religion :/ (I am not at all religious but still love the world and its contents and also do not disrespect people who choose to have faith in a religion) also for me personally I will be completely starting again as my ex has lived there before so knows a lot of people where as I have not been. so I love djing, music production and nature/wildlife im also a trained chef so if anyone knows of any places I could meet people with similar interests??? think that's all for now, any help would be appreciated

cheers

Dave

Sounds bitter Dave :D

Ah KK is a lovely place to live its not too big so getting around is easy there is some nice walkways and the good ol country side is not to far away if you fancy a nice sunday drive :) i moved here from Waterford 3 yrs ago and i love it here.

Have a look in the things to do in KK section of the forum and you will see the various things that go on here.

Best of luck with it if ye come over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I have lived in Kilkenny 15 years previously lived in London for 10 and New York. Having been back to London for holidays I could not envision living there now with a young family. Lots of my friends who emigrated to London in the 80s would love to move back but they married English.

As far as religion goes our kids go to catholic schools and they have had communion etc but we never go to mass. In hindsight I probably wouldn't have involved the children in the religion sacraments as there are kids in their classes who haven't.

Kilkenny is big enough to have everything as in good shops, coffee shops, pubs, restaurants but there is a great community especially if kids are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Would you prefer to live in the city or outside?
    I work at the far side of kilkenny from where I live on the south side, im about 8 miles south and it takes me 15 minutes to drive to work. If your into nature anywhere about 5-10 south of the city is good enough for woods and nature and stuff.

As for jobs, hard to get anyting really...
    But if theres a will theres a way :)
    Religion is hit and miss, older generation are all into it, unfortunatly im just finishing school right now and the younger people dont really care about it, some do alright but the majority of people I know who are 18 dont really care bout the whole thing.
    The city itself is steeped in history with castles and stuff, and its the only other city to be the capital of irelad besides dublin, why the changed god only knows.
    Ohh and I hope you have heard and like hurling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

It's one of the nicer towns in Ireland in my opinion. There are few places where you would feel unsafe, and I think crime is generally low enough.

It's a small place and you could pretty much bike everywhere if you wanted. We have a hospital, and a train station to Dublin. We're lacking bus routes though so its not always easy to get public transport in, out, or around here.

Religion isn't really a concern. While catholic primary schools still focus on it a fair bit. Secondary schools don't really force it down your throat too much. You dont have to participate in religion class if you dont want to.

I reckon there's plenty of nature & wildlife stuff to get involved with if you have a car. Depends on what you're into really, be it hiking, fishing, or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 djday1984

:Thanks for all the quick replies :)

I'm looking to live either in or not too far away from bennettsfield as thats the area my little man will be living. I'm easily pleased when it comes to wildlife and nature so walks with views and birds and bees and lions will be enough to make me happy (maybe not the lions). I'll have plenty of time to explore when I'm there.
    Is finding employment really that hard??
    @$Kilkenny haha yea ive heard all about hurling, go cats?? :)
    @s28382 hahaha I'm not bitter (maybe a teeny tiny bit) more nervous I think which comes across as bitter... Honest
    Sky king Israel is in Asia but due to "political reasons" it's classed as European :/

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

As mentioned above, Kilkenny has everything you'd want apart from a good bus service and jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

In fairness a chef job would be easier to get than say if he was an electrician or plumber or whatever.

I've seen them advertised recently enough.

Advertisement