Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA Summer Mature Student

Options
  • 12-06-2013 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi guys.

I am 26, I started my course in September 2010, I turned 23 in April 2010, do you know am I entitled to JSA for the summer months?

I'm confused by the information below.

Does it mean I am only entitled to JSA if I had turned 23 before January 2010??
    thanks

JA Disqualification - course of study

The legislation also provides that a person shall be disqualified from receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance while attending a course of study (including school/college holiday periods), except in such circumstances as may be prescribed. The exceptions to this disqualifications are :

1. persons aged 21 years or over who have been in receipt of JA/ JB for at least 6 months and who are participating in approved courses of education, training or development (as per above), and
    2. mature students, i.e. persons over 23 years of age on or before 1st January in the year in which the course of study commences.

Deciding Officers should note that disqualification while attending a course of study is completely separate from the availability condition. As mature students are exempted from this disqualification, they may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday periods if they satisfy the availability condition in the normal way.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Unfortunately, yes, I believe. I turned 23 in February of the year I started my course (2009) and I wasn't entitled to anything over the summer, not grants as a mature student.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I actually didn't mean to submit that above post, and I'm posting again so the OP will hopefully see it. I could actually be completely incorrect in what I said. I started my course in September 2009 and turned 23 in February 2010. I always interpreted it as turning 23 in the year you start your course (2009 for me), but now I see it's ambiguously worded and it could mean that that I had to turn 23 in 2008.

I'd say you need to speak to your local dole office and clarify it with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭TheKingslayer

Just to add some info.

I went in today to make my claim.

The woman at the thing asked me was I going back in september, when I said yes she then asked me what year I started my course, and then what age was I when it started.

I said 23, she seemed to think on it for a second and then gave me my appointment.

So I might miss out, depending on how inquisitive they are at my appointment.

Advertisement