Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Exam marking

Options
  • 12-06-2013 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have been called to correct Junior Cert Science HL papers for the first time. Does anyone have any info on the conference, expenses, price per paper?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Do a search on here plenty of info from last year .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If you were more specific about what exactly you want to know (about the conference etc.) I could help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dids6457

RealJohn wrote: »
    If you were more specific about what exactly you want to know (about the conference etc.) I could help.

Thanks a million, is the conference two full days, particularly the second day?
    Do they give information at the conference regarding price per paper allocated and how many papers we should expect?
    How does sending papers back work?
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Afaik all junior cert conferences were cut to one day about 3 years back. If its a 2 day event it will start at 11 the first day so you won't have to claim an overnight before the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

dids6457 wrote: »
    Thanks a million, is the conference two full days, particularly the second day?
    Do they give information at the conference regarding price per paper allocated and how many papers we should expect?
    How does sending papers back work?
    Thanks again
    I'm afraid you're wrong there juniorhurler (for HL science anyway).
    The conference is two days with the first being 9.30 (if they're properly organised - they're usually ok) to about 5. The length of the second depends on when the scripts are ready for collection but typically involves sitting around for a while waiting to be told we can go and collect the scripts. The actual work is usually finished by lunch time at the latest.

If by price you mean how much we get paid per script, it's in the information pack somewhere I'm pretty sure. I don't remember the exact figure (and if I'm honest, I couldn't be bothered to check) but it's something around €9. As I understand it, it's one of the highest rates per script for the junior cert (though that's just hearsay for me - I don't actually know) but that's because you have to mark the exam and coursework.

Sending scripts is pretty straight forward. Your advising examiner will ask you for a certain number of scripts (usually four in my experience) out of each 100 (you'll probably have a little over 300 in total though I had nearly 350 last year) and you just put them in the envelopes provided and send them by registered post to your advising examiner. He/she will explain anything you're not sure of at the conference if you ask but it really is pretty simple and it's all in the information pack. You'll have more to send back from the "random 20" which are the first 20 scripts you mark, selected in such a way as to ensure a certain amount of randomness. Again, details of that are in the information pack.

Any other questions, fire ahead but I imagine the majority of the answers you're looking for are in the green/blue book in the information pack which you should read since it's your first time.

And if you haven't got an information pack, give the SEC a call and find out why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Glad to hear I am wrong. The conferences should still be two days imo. Our conference was cut to 1 day and it is tight on time, especially for new examiners to get their heads around the paperwork and running totals etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dids6457

RealJohn wrote: »
    I'm afraid you're wrong there juniorhurler (for HL science anyway).
    The conference is two days with the first being 9.30 (if they're properly organised - they're usually ok) to about 5. The length of the second depends on when the scripts are ready for collection but typically involves sitting around for a while waiting to be told we can go and collect the scripts. The actual work is usually finished by lunch time at the latest.

If by price you mean how much we get paid per script, it's in the information pack somewhere I'm pretty sure. I don't remember the exact figure (and if I'm honest, I couldn't be bothered to check) but it's something around €9. As I understand it, it's one of the highest rates per script for the junior cert (though that's just hearsay for me - I don't actually know) but that's because you have to mark the exam and coursework.

Sending scripts is pretty straight forward. Your advising examiner will ask you for a certain number of scripts (usually four in my experience) out of each 100 (you'll probably have a little over 300 in total though I had nearly 350 last year) and you just put them in the envelopes provided and send them by registered post to your advising examiner. He/she will explain anything you're not sure of at the conference if you ask but it really is pretty simple and it's all in the information pack. You'll have more to send back from the "random 20" which are the first 20 scripts you mark, selected in such a way as to ensure a certain amount of randomness. Again, details of that are in the information pack.

Any other questions, fire ahead but I imagine the majority of the answers you're looking for are in the green/blue book in the information pack which you should read since it's your first time.

And if you haven't got an information pack, give the SEC a call and find out why.

Thanks for that I was just called yesterday from the reserve list so have not received any info yet, if there's a pack that will be great, it should be posted to me.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RiseNshine

dids6457 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have been called to correct Junior Cert Science HL papers for the first time. Does anyone have any info on the conference, expenses, price per paper?
    Thanks

Don’t do it!!! Did it.... regretted it and wasn’t a nice experience....it’s absolutely f**kin awful..,,you willso wish you hadn’t done it and the measly money you get for blood sweat and plenty of tears....you’ve been warned

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

RiseNshine wrote: »
    Don’t do it!!! Did it.... regretted it and wasn’t a nice experience....it’s absolutely f**kin awful..,,you willso wish you hadn’t done it and the measly money you get for blood sweat and plenty of tears....you’ve been warned

Depending on your tax bracket and other earnings, it can be OK money.
    Very useful for teaching purposes.
    Please don't bump old threads.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement