Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Engine suggestions

Options
  • 12-06-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

I would like to build a game Without the coding, I plan to do computer science next year, so i dont have any computer coding expereiece (because having ict as subject in the leaving make too much sense)

I would like the engine to be like source left for dead mod tools where you build walls and inclose them ( that sort of work)

However i would want the game to run indepently(not be a mod)
    but as a first person shoter (but with small maps)
    and be able to play online and not single player.

I want it to have it as a number of resources something simular to Red orchestra.

Is there any game engine that allows you to build like this,

(linux port options would be a plus)

Thanks ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kyotokid

I'd say Unity.

There is an FPS tutorial and demo released by the developers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I severely doubt you can build a 3D Online FPS with little to no coding done on your side without it being a mod. Even still you'll need to do some (maybe a lot, I dunno) coding. Why not start learning to code now and give yourself a head start on CS? Ive played with Unity before but 3D games add a lot of work for a one man job, especially if you are learning c# at the same time.

GameMaker is great for 2D games with little to no coding but, apart from teaching you the basics of programming if statements and for loops it doesn't teach you a usable language for afterwards. XNA, while no longer updated by Microsoft is a more complex to get a game up and running but has some good tutorials around and uses c# which you could carry over to Unity and other tools later.
    I know that's not what you asked but it's worth thinking of starting off with 2D and learning to code a bit first imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

UDK has a built in function called Kismet that allows designers to use a graphic interface to do basic scripts.
    Its not clean code, but if your a beginner looking to make moving doors and basic stuff without the need of actually coding, then that might suit.
    Its at least more fun and visually pleasing to work with compared to Unity and will be fun to work with until you reach a stage where you realise kismet isnt enough.

When your talking about making your own game.There are alot of "little" things that are involved that will slow down the whole project massively.
    Like trying to create a character and import animations and set all that aspect up.
    UDK does supply a base character,weapon, a vehicle or two, some buildings etc.

My advice taken from a recent experience, is to go and start following youtube tutorials untill you have created a working 2d level.
    I used C# and did a side scrolling game, 1 level.
    Just finished it the other week and now I am on to learning to program my own elevator.
    That 2d game was a great crash course in C# for me.
    I did that 2d game in Unity, so im sticking with that for now.

My progression was hobbyist using Blender and UDK , then college using 3DS Max and Unity.

Advertisement