Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Late-Night Shenanigans

Options
  • 12-06-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen this mentioned but I was reading this article about the just-passed "Social Welfare and Pensions (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill"

While I agree that Welfare Fraud is something that certainly should be stamped out, some of the concerns raised by the opposition seem legitimate to me, but more worrying IMO is the point that this was quietly slipped through after midnight last night.

Is this the new norm in Irish politics? Decisions made solely by the 15 or so around the cabinet table and anything that might be controversial passed in the dead of night?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Haven't seen this mentioned but I was reading this article about the just-passed "Social Welfare and Pensions (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill"

While I agree that Welfare Fraud is something that certainly should be stamped out, some of the concerns raised by the opposition seem legitimate to me, but more worrying IMO is the opinion that this was quietly slipped through after midnight last night.

Is this the new norm in Irish politics? Decisions made solely by the 15 or so around the cabinet table and anything that might be controversial passed in the dead of night?

ah you're awake, yes it does seem to be the norm and there's so much worse out there and still to come yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I presume most people have no problem with the Department of Social Protection seeking an attachment order for the recovery of money which was fraudulently claimed.

The problem arises is in terms of mandatory deductions for genuine errors, especially Department error.

The Minister put the level of Department error at 6%. Who reports it as 6%? The organization making the mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

The Minister put the level of Department error at 6%. Who reports it as 6%? The organization making the mistake?

I'd imagine so. The only other possibility is that it is an auditing company which has a very cosy relationship with the department and has no real interest in 'rocking the boat'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

yara wrote: »
    ah you're awake, yes it does seem to be the norm and there's so much worse out there and still to come yet

What!? How can you suggest such a thing? Why our puissant and learned leaders do nothing without the full mechanisms of debate and them democratic process being observed. Perish the thought!

Now, go and watch Fair City or exchange trivialities on Facebook like a good little citizen. Go back to bed Ireland, your government is in control ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

our silence buys us this, plain and simple we let them away with it each and everytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

yara wrote: »
    our silence buys us this, plain and simple we let them away with it each and everytime

I agree however, and I say this from personal experience, it's extremely difficult to get people motivated to do anything when it comes to politics, at least with the people I've encountered. I have tried to get people to read articles or simply discuss the things that happen in the country around them but the usual response is either snide ridicule (usually the response to something against what RTE has said) or simple indifference. It's as if a sizable chunk of the population want all of this out of sight and out of mind...

Advertisement