Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garavouge river

Options
  • 12-06-2013 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I was walking on Rockwood the other day, and i was very disgusted and disappointed to see the state of the Garavouge river. There is cans and bottles and rubish in the river. The swans and ducks with baby ducklings were swimming around it.
    Why does not the council get the river cleaned? I wouldnt mind volunteering to help clean the river if there would be group of people who were going to do it.
    It is really upsetting as the fish & birds have to live around such conditions. Plus it is disgusting to look at.

I also took a photo just in case nobody has seen it. Its next to four star pizza.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TheOrangeTale

I was walking on rockwood the other day, and i was very disguisted and disapointed to see the state of the Garavouge river. There is cans and bottles and rubish. The swans and ducks with baby ducklings were swiming around it.
    Why does not the council get the river cleaned? I wouldnt mind voluntering to help clean the river if there would be group of people who were going to do it.
    It is really upseting as the fish & birds have to live around such conditions. Plus it is disguisting to look at.

I also took a photo just incase nobody seen it. Its next to four star pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TheOrangeTale

Here are photos

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭blackiebest1

Hi Orangetale, you are so so right! Firstly the Council could not run a bath! They are incapable of not wasting money and it is your Patriotic duty to evade paying them any money you can, these are the same people who put our Town and County €80,000,000.00 in debt, to put that figure in context the County of Leitrim is €3,000,000.00 in debt!

Re litter clean up, the good news is that within weeks the guys at SUPforall (find them on Facebook and give them a 'Like') will initiate a two day clean up of the Garavogue in which you can participate! I will post more information here shortly!

Lastly, our society had degenerated to a very base level, if you boil it down we are a nation of pigs when it comes to our environment! I appreciate this is not applicable to everyone but it is sadly, the majority! This is exacerbated by the insane cost and system of waste management employed throughout this country! The concept of a bin lorry stopping at each individual house to empty bins is as efficient as a square wheel! I love Sligo with a passion I can not express however it pains me to see what we tolerate from our citizens and authorities! Without the exceptionally motivated Tidy Towns committee and volunteers the town would be a complete tip. Essentially these people do the Councils work as the council are incapable!

Sligo Tourism.ie is set up by volunteers to do what the highly paid Tourist Board are employed to do, they have, in just three years, done more for Sligo Tourism than the Tourist office have in the last forty!

One day, soon in my opinion, the whole system will crash in response to the civil disobedience which is, thankfully, growing! The institutionalized employees within the civil service will be forced to face their own incompetence and we will rebuild a better, cleaner, more functional civil society!

Rant over :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Merged duplicate threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

... our society had degenerated to a very base level, if you boil it down we are a nation of pigs when it comes to our environment! I appreciate this is not applicable to everyone but it is sadly, the majority!
    I think that's a bit harsh, blackiebest1. To say that the majority of people in this country have degenerated to a very base level, and that we are pigs? Seriously? I'd like to see where you get that sort of idea from. Yes, there is a minority (perhaps a sizeable minority) who act like pigs, and don't care about the environment, etc., etc., but a majority? I think not.
    The institutionalized employees within the civil service will be forced to face their own incompetence and we will rebuild a better, cleaner, more functional civil society!

Rant over :-)

And secondly, ease up on the oul civil service there. I know plenty of good people working in the civil service all over the country who are trying their best to keep this country going, despite the state into which it has gotten. The general populace of the civil service have no control over most of what happens in the country, apart from a few at the very top (perhaps the top 50 or so civil srervants), along with the politicians, bankers, etc., etc. The majority of the civil service is your next door neighbour, the guy down your local pub, doing her/his best to scrape by in paying their mortgage, their bills, etc., the same as everyone else.

[/RANT]

• Advertisement
Advertisement