Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop in $500

Options
  • 12-06-2013 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I need a laptop maximum range is $500,
    Usage :- Some tabs of explorer on Chrome and Firefox, From Gaming aspect I will be using it for Dota 1 and the upcoming Fifa 14
    I dont care about looks nor about colours I need a performer with a good battery backup,

I personally think the Lenovo G580 Equipped with Core i5 is a decent laptop but I really need you guys to help me on this.
    And if I choose Dell over Lenovo what should be the reason?
    And what if somehow I can wait for haswell to be released properly then grab a haswell powered laptop? More Battery backup with more efficiency?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

haswell will be quite expensive. But gaming laptops are, if you want a good performer. But then I don't know what specs fifa and dota need, I take it they're on the lower end?
    I had a core I3 that handled gaming excellently, however this was a PC and therefore cooled easily. That's your biggest worry with a laptop and games/heavy programs.

Nothing special about dells. I do find they're more stable hardware wise though. ..

The tabs on chrome & firefox have nothing to do with the laptop itself but what you download for chrome and ff.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Eli Nich

I used to run Fifa 13 on my Core i5 Sandy Bridge 2300 IGPU and it ran very smoothly on 1280x1024 Resolution, and surely the laptop I will be buying wont be supporting this reso, Or should I just go with a Dell Inspiron with Integrated Intel's Gpu 4000 Series?

So no help yet? :(

well, for resolution you just change the settings for screen size of the game and it'll run fine again. You could also look into some larger sized laptop models.

I'm not quite sure which dell inspiron you're after, google search seems to pick up a few or the lenovo to really compare specs.

But I mean don't go for something higher, if you don't really need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

• Advertisement

Well I have made my mind for two now I just cant decide which one to go for -

1- Inspiron N5520 Ci5 3210M - 500gb - 4 gb - 1gb gpu 7670M - 580 $
    2- Lenovo G580 - Ci5 3230M - 500gb - 4 gb - Intel HD 4000 - 500$

go with the lenovo.. I don't think you need a dedicated graphics card

go with the lenovo.. I don't think you need a dedicated graphics card

It somehow is required to play Fifa 13 and Dota 1 - I just want it so the CPU chip doesnt get overheated when IGPU is used

Sounds like you've made your decision :P

___
    I've gamed with an I3, no dedicated GPU, you may need to lower some game settings, but it was fine. Of course it depends if you're playing to game an hour here or there or 4 hours in a go.

Having a GPU with not enough air and space will over heat too...so if you choose the dell, make sure it's well fanned ..and I'd suggest getting a lap cooler or something, if you play a game with it on your lap.

Sounds like you've made your decision :P

___
    I've gamed with an I3, no dedicated GPU, you may need to lower some game settings, but it was fine. Of course it depends if you're playing to game an hour here or there or 4 hours in a go.

Having a GPU with not enough air and space will over heat too...so if you choose the dell, make sure it's well fanned ..and I'd suggest getting a lap cooler or something, if you play a game with it on your lap.

Yea I grabbed a Inspiron N5520 with ci5 - and 1 gb 7670M -
    Quite satisfied with the performance and other things but AMD switchable thingy really makes me sick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

if the screen on the lenovo g580 is anything like the one on my lenovo ideapad s300, you definitely made the right choice. i bought it from argos when the price dropped about a week ago to replace an old laptop that died and i am so disappointed, the colors are washed out, everything has a blue tint to it and there is no such thing as black. and i can't return it either due to argos return policy. i never thought the screen on a new laptop in 2013 would be worse than my old hp from 2007. i can't edit photos or anything, even watching films isn't any good.

Advertisement