Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River trips for novices - Galway, Clare

Options
  • 12-06-2013 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a recommendation for an afternoon river trip in Gaway or Clare suitable for an 11-year-old (accompanied, of course, by my experienced self).
    I can find coastal trips but no books or on-line routes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Here's an online guide: http://irishwhitewater.com/river_guide/. You could try the lower section of the Kilcolgan River; perhaps paddle upstream from Morans Pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Much obliged Nathan. Great opportunities there for a summer of exploration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

The Castleconnell section of the River Shannon is a pretty nice run. Easy enough for an 11 year old. http://irishwhitewater.com/river_guide/river.php?id=333

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Megra13

The section of the River Graney from Scariff to Lough Derg is fairly easy and goes through some nice woodland. It takes about 3 hours there and back or you could keep going around the edge of the lake and exit at Ogonelloe on the left or Mountshannon on the right. I,d stay close to the shore either way as it can get very rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

@banbh if you do decide to do any rivers around lough derg/Clare let me know as I am always itching for some one to paddle with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Will do Barra. Summer ending, kids back at school next week. Opportunities for getting out on the water fading.

Advertisement