Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hurley as a weapon.

Options
  • 12-06-2013 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking this over for a few days and have come to a conclusion. A hurley will not be as effective a weapon as we would have hoped. While perfectly capable of killing a normal healthy human being (and therefore probably a 28 days/rage infected victim) it lacks the sheer mass required to smash in an undead skull. I think we're going to have to rely on raiding hardware stores.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

True, but with a few modifications it could work.

battlehurl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭niall1811

I am of the opinion it doesn't have the substance in the neck to withstand repeated blows to an undeads head...a baseball bat, shovel or 2x4 would be more substantial.

It would need to be re enforced it's too weak as it is. If you cut it in half and put steel down the middle it should be strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

you would be amazed at the amount of abuse a good hurl can take.

striking with the back edge can crack a skull. if you double band it and use liberal quantities of tape you have a formidable and reliable weapon.

they haven't introduced helmets into the game as a fashion statement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Or a nice piece of heavy re bar heated and bent in the Hurley stick shape ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

might be a bit tiring waving a reinforced steel hurl around the place, swing and miss once and you're boned

might be a bit tiring waving a reinforced steel hurl around the place, swing and miss once and you're boned
    Maybe we're just not fit enough, we do an awful lot of complaining about weapons being too heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

kieranfitz wrote: »
    I've been thinking this over for a few days and have come to a conclusion. A hurley will not be as effective a weapon as we would have hoped. While perfectly capable of killing a normal healthy human being (and therefore probably a 28 days/rage infected victim) it lacks the sheer mass required to smash in an undead skull. I think we're going to have to rely on raiding hardware stores.
    I think a hurl would be about as useful as a knife and fork against a 28 days later style zombie. Those motherfcukers can move faster than you can and you might get one good hit in with the hurl if you were lucky before they tore you to shreds. The 28 zeds also seem to move in packs and even if you got one, the rest would have you before you had a change to swing again.

I would take a hurl over nothing but overall I don't think it would be a very effective weapon. You would have to use an awful lot of force to do real damage and ideally you want a weapon which causes maximum damage with mimimum effort. Remember that you will not have a regular food supply and if you get attached while feeling weak, you probably won't have the strength to do much. I would much rather a sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Despite not being durable, they are capable of doing SOME damage, I think.

The biggest advantage of using a hurl would be how light it is though. Handy for quick getaways!

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I think a hurl would be about as useful as a knife and fork against a 28 days later style zombie. Those motherfcukers can move faster than you can and you might get one good hit in with the hurl if you were lucky before they tore you to shreds. The 28 zeds also seem to move in packs and even if you got one, the rest would have you before you had a change to swing again.

I would take a hurl over nothing but overall I don't think it would be a very effective weapon. You would have to use an awful lot of force to do real damage and ideally you want a weapon which causes maximum damage with mimimum effort. Remember that you will not have a regular food supply and if you get attached while feeling weak, you probably won't have the strength to do much. I would much rather a sword.

do you play hurling?

speed and rapid reflexes are integral parts of the game, even in junior b :p, if i can handle some wanabee superstar minor whilst i'm hungover on a Sunday morning I can deal with a less coordinated 28 days sprinter

• Advertisement

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    do you play hurling?

speed and rapid reflexes are integral parts of the game, even in junior b :p, if i can handle some wanabee superstar minor whilst i'm hungover on a Sunday morning I can deal with a less coordinated 28 days sprinter
    I don't play hurling but it probably wouldn't do me much good even if I did. You're not going to have a lot of speed or reflexes after a few weeks of not eating or sleeping properly.

I don't play hurling but it probably wouldn't do me much good even if I did. You're not going to have a lot of speed or reflexes after a few weeks of not eating or sleeping properly.

why would I not be eating or sleeping properly?

I live on a farm, in the event of a shtf situation I would relocate my supplies to the dry and warm loft of the shed, lob up a stove with the tractor, wire the solar cells up to a fridge and sling a hammock. add in a retractable ladder and i'm sleeping soundly with a full stomach

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    why would I not be eating or sleeping properly?

I live on a farm, in the event of a shtf situation I would relocate my supplies to the dry and warm loft of the shed, lob up a stove with the tractor, wire the solar cells up to a fridge and sling a hammock. add in a retractable ladder and i'm sleeping soundly with a full stomach
    How do you know you will be on the farm when the outbreak hits?

How do you know you will be on the farm when the outbreak hits?

I live on a farm.

barring the complete breakdown of civil society within the first 24 hours I will be on that farm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I reckon a hurl would be more effective than an O'Neills no 5, so Kilkenny will fare better than football areas. Those of us in south Armagh will find our football skills useless and will have to resort to tried and tested methods like Mk XV mortars and red diesel powered flamethrowers.

ardmacha wrote: »
    I reckon a hurl would be more effective than an O'Neills no 5, so Kilkenny will fare better than football areas. Those of us in south Armagh will find our football skills useless and will have to resort to tried and tested methods like Mk XV mortars and red diesel powered flamethrowers.

ah see there's the problem, us wexicans are doomed as we believe we can hurl, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

ah see there's the problem, us wexicans are doomed

A pike in the thatch would help, if not too rusty.

ardmacha wrote: »
    A pike in the thatch would help, if not too rusty.

I have one, seriously, not something I would use in a close quarters situation, and real ones are very heavy

i'd stick with the hurl

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ScumLord wrote: »
    Maybe we're just not fit enough, we do an awful lot of complaining about weapons being too heavy.
    Well since by definition it's geek who'll survive it makes sense to have lighter weapons :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Nody wrote: »
    Well since by definition it's geek who'll survive it makes sense to have lighter weapons :pac:.

The geek shall inherit the earth ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 seamie mac

Back on topic .. bringing a hurl to a zombie battle is like taking a knife to a gunfight .. that said, remember Doom where you start out with a simple knife, then a pistol, then a shotgun and within a few rounds you have the BMFG and can do serious damage. A hurl is a good starter for 10. They are in plentiful supply. They can be thought of as a zombie 'platform' weapon - you can strengthen with metal bands or upgrade with judiciously placed 6 inch nails. Its probably already in your local GAA club colours so that helps to continue a sense of community in the troubled days ahead. You can use both ends (but the handle might catch on the eye socket as you withdraw it). I'd look to trade up as soon as possible .. but would be happy to start out with a hurl. They come in different sizes so you can have the wife and kids kitted out beforehand. Having an umberella stand in the hall with 5 hurleys in it is much easier to explain to visiting neighbours than the same stand filled with swords and pikes... so yeah, a hurl makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Cold Steel often do oddball Native American and African impact tools out of high impact very dense plastics, not to mention the Brooklyn Smasher bat, Escrima/Kali sticks and our own Shillelagh!

I think I'll drop them a line and ask about the chances of getting a Hurley made.

Failing that the best option for a Hurley would be a vacuum chamber full of "Cactus Juice". Hurl inside and seal her up, draw vacuum for a few days and you have a hardened and stabilised wood with many of the properties of a plastic.

The same thing is done to wooden scales for knife handles so they don't change size or warp.

On "taking a knife to a gunfight", within arms length or even at times within 21 feet (Tueller Drill), the knife would win. A gun has to be pointed at you to do damage, a knife is a ball of evil that is hyper mobile and only has to touch you to do damage.
    Ask any Martial Arts person you know, what's a worst case scenario, and they will mention knives.

I do think Ryanair and Aer Lingus should put a Wavin Hurley (remember them?) on each seat, in case of eejits, everybody gets to go local Parish Junior B Derby on the offenders!

A big plus is that blunt force trauma is mostly silent on both undead and Raiders, black Hurleys for stealth! The kids taking the shins off a raider allows Daddy to skull the cheeky fecker! I know we've all seen lads walk through a forest of broken Ash, usually taking the flat edge though! Turn that heel into the target (durty hurlin') and it's a different ballgame (or the same ballgame from when men had no teeth!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

On "taking a knife to a gunfight", within arms length or even at times within 21 feet (Tueller Drill), the knife would win. A gun has to be pointed at you to do damage, a knife is a ball of evil that is hyper mobile and only has to touch you to do damage.
    Ask any Martial Arts person you know, what's a worst case scenario, and they will mention knives.
    Very true..The old adage of "run towards a gun,run away from a knife." holds true.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Unless you get your hurly reinforced then it would be useless.
    You would have to make sure the heal of the hurl hits the Z first each time without fail. If the bosh of the hurl hits the Z to would break some where up the handle of the hurl or the bosh would crack.
    But if it did that you could always try and stab the Z to death

But it would be better than nothing and since you are in ireland you are almost Sure to find at least one in most houses.

Unless you get your hurly reinforced then it would be useless.
    A normal hurl would break, but Deises idea of making it out of a plastic would make it much more durable.
    Cold Steel often do oddball Native American and African impact tools out of high impact very dense plastics, not to mention the Brooklyn Smasher bat, Escrima/Kali sticks and our own Shillelagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

ScumLord wrote: »
    A normal hurl would break, but Deises idea of making it out of a plastic would make it much more durable.

Yes the Plastic hurley would be a lot stronger but
    1. Would it still be considered a Hurley OR just a shaped lump of plastic.
    2. Where would you get cactus Juice(hell what is it)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Where would you get cactus Juice(hell what is it)

I actually buy cactus juice in those Lithuanica shops. It's very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

You could always rub it with linseed oil - makes it much stronger but a good bit heavier. Question is, is it worth trading the hurl's light weight for some added strength and hardness?

• Advertisement

You could always rub it with linseed oil - makes it much stronger but a good bit heavier. Question is, is it worth trading the hurl's light weight for some added strength and hardness?
    A plastic hurl could be as light. You see that kind of high impact plastic in the handles of hammers these days. They can make it to be extremely strong and light while still soft enough not to shatter.

Advertisement