Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interrailing 2013

Options
  • 11-06-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So and my friend are leaving to go interrailing on the 1st of July, we have our tickets, flights booked, but haven't actually planned much as we are both very laid back. We are flying into Brussels, staying for two nights then going to Rock Werchter music festival for 4 nights. Our interrail ticket doesn't actually start until the 7th of July as the festival would take too much time out of our trip. Anyways, we plan to go to Amsterdam after that, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Zagreb, then hopefully make our way round too Lake Garda. I feel we might be being a bit adventurous! Soo Any tips on hostels, trains, route suggestions, what to pack :O anything would be swell! Thanks a bunch! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭RonanM123

So and my friend are leaving to go interrailing on the 1st of July, we have our tickets, flights booked, but haven't actually planned much as we are both very laid back. We are flying into Brussels, staying for two nights then going to Rock Werchter music festival for 4 nights. Our interrail ticket doesn't actually start until the 7th of July as the festival would take too much time out of our trip. Anyways, we plan to go to Amsterdam after that, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Zagreb, then hopefully make our way round too Lake Garda. I feel we might be being a bit adventurous! Soo Any tips on hostels, trains, route suggestions, what to pack :O anything would be swell! Thanks a bunch! :D

I'm thinking about staying at Stayokay Stadsdoelen hostel in Amsterdam 6-9 July, its around 30 per night but its right in the city centre and everything is in walking distance so no public transport costs are needed which are with some of the cheaper ones.

In Berlin I am most likely going to stay in Generator hostel, if the one in Dublin is anything to go by they are the best hostels around.

Hope this helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 breenbry

The Rock Werchter festival has free train travel with its ticket in case you were looking to buy a train ticket before your Interrailing starts.

Check out a review of the Festival here http://www.festivaltips.net/rock-werchter/

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dropinthocean

I'm just home from interrailing. We flew Dublin-London and then took the Eurostar from London-paris and then trains from paris-Brussels-Bruges-Koln-Hamburg-Berlin-Prague-Wien-Budapest.
    What is your budget? There was just two of us so we were able to share a room and actually got reasonably priced very nice hotels for most of the trip. Hotels.com is actually really good and if you sign up for rewards you get a free night every 10 nights paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Question for people who have done this before. I'm finding the whole train system difficult to navigate and we're trying to put some structure on our plans. We're not interrailing as such, Just going to Vienna first, then on to prague and then Berlin by train.

Our first stumbling block is which train station we should be taking to get from Vienna to Prague. And what the main station we need to go into Prague is.

Maybe I'm just really stupid in these matters but finding it really hard to figure it out!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Check raildude.com. click the journey and it will show all stops on that route and available connections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Question for people who have done this before. I'm finding the whole train system difficult to navigate and we're trying to put some structure on our plans. We're not interrailing as such, Just going to Vienna first, then on to prague and then Berlin by train.

Our first stumbling block is which train station we should be taking to get from Vienna to Prague. And what the main station we need to go into Prague is.

Maybe I'm just really stupid in these matters but finding it really hard to figure it out!!!!
    for planning you the basics are the german rail site bahn.de for timetables and google maps really.
    Even if German rail cant sell tickets, they still have virtually all train times on the continent in their system.

theres a tip in the last post for general info and http://www.seat61.com/ is another one that explains in plain english some of the facts on the ground.

and regarding vienna, they are building a new main central station as indeed till now it was all over the place up till now but very few services have been transfered as of yet.

Advertisement