Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Cost of living

Options
  • 11-06-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I'm no economist so I've no idea about this but does the government/CSO or some other body calculate the cost of living in Ireland for residents? Do they draw up a sort of "minimum budget" and make decisions like value of job seekers allowance based on it? Or is it all just figures pulled out of the air?

I think I remember hearing at the time of the personal insolvency bill about guidelines recommending a minimum cost of living but can't find them now

Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I'm no economist so I've no idea about this but does the government/CSO or some other body calculate the cost of living in Ireland for residents? Do they draw up a sort of "minimum budget" and make decisions like value of job seekers allowance based on it? Or is it all just figures pulled out of the air?

I think I remember hearing at the time of the personal insolvency bill about guidelines recommending a minimum cost of living but can't find them now

Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

They define "the basics" i.e. accommodation, light & heat, clothing etc. Then they use the various statistical measures of price e.g. CPI to come up with figures.

Things like CPI cover the amount spent, whereas a basic/minimum budget will often refer to a lower value e.g. the €10/€15 per month phone package instead of the average €40 package.

Changes to payments/supports like JSA and other benefits are calculated using changes to CPI and a few dozen criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

antoobrien wrote: »
    They define "the basics" i.e. accommodation, light & heat, clothing etc. Then they use the various statistical measures of price e.g. CPI to come up with figures.
    Who would "they" be? The cabinet? A minister? Civil servants. The CPI is maintained by the CSO?
    Things like CPI cover the amount spent, whereas a basic/minimum budget will often refer to a lower value e.g. the €10/€15 per month phone package instead of the average €40 package.
    so the CPI is an average spend and "they" define an amount lower than that as the minimum? Is it decided arbitrarily or by statistical functions like standard deviations or centiles?

Were there guidelines or a sample budget proposed with the new personal insolvency legislation or was it just pat kennys waffle I overheard? I'd be interested to see how a person is expected to spend their JSA/JSB, child benefit, etc. to get a sense of how real all the calculations are or are they just theoretical functions of statistics (stats being "the science of lies" according to my old stats lecturer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Who would "they" be?

That depends on whom is talking/paying. In the case of any social welfare payments "They" is DSP. In the case of public service pay it's PER.
    I'd be interested to see how a person is expected to spend their JSA/JSB, child benefit, etc

Well JSA/JSB is not supposed to be a living wage, so it should be spent on food light & heat etc. If it's being spent on the oft complained about 3 sun holidays a year (how many times have you heard that one?) then there's something wrong.

Child benefit is supposed to be spent on the children, e.g. clothing, footware etc.
    so the CPI is an average spend and "they" define an amount lower than that as the minimum? Is it decided arbitrarily or by statistical functions like standard deviations or centiles?

I'd love to know what you're trying to get at. It's fairly easy to define a minimum standard for something - get the lowest useful price e.g. if a mobile phone is considered a necessity then what is the most basic usable package? If a car is considered a necessity, then should the person be able to afford to run a merc/beamer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The CSO don't release the cost of their hypothetical basket of consumer goods and services.

The CPI is an index which tracks these costs.

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/prices/consumerpriceindex/

Mid-Dec 2006: CPI = 100

April 2013: CPI = 106.4

So there has been 6.4% consumer price inflation over 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Vincentian Partnership has done some work on budgeting.

See here:

http://www.budgeting.ie/

They have a min income calculator:

http://www.misc.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I'd love to know what you're trying to get at. It's fairly easy to define a minimum standard for something - get the lowest useful price e.g. if a mobile phone is considered a necessity then what is the most basic usable package? If a car is considered a necessity, then should the person be able to afford to run a merc/beamer?
    Just curious about it - I've never considered why the JSA/JSB is that it is. I'd like to compare my own spending to it - which would be easier if there was something like a minimum personal budget or some such. I've tried googling different permutations of how job seekers is calculated but all I've found is was to determine eligibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Were there guidelines or a sample budget proposed with the new personal insolvency legislation or was it just pat kennys waffle I overheard?

http://www.isi.gov.ie/en/ISI/Pages/RLE_calculated

Advertisement