Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travling for underage games

Options
  • 11-06-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭

Do clubs not use buses to travel to matches anymore. I remember going by bus when I was playing.

I ask cause I got a text for a blitz in tipp on sat. I help out with the underage and I'm annoyed that I well have to travel on my own, I have no family on the team and no thanks from the club for going this far.

I have no problem giving money for a bus where everyone can travel together

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

cena wrote: »
    Do clubs not use buses to travel to matches anymore. I remember going by bus when I was playing.

I ask cause I got a text for a blitz in tipp on sat. I help out with the underage and I'm annoyed that I well have to travel on my own, I have no family on the team and no thanks from the club for going this far.

buses are expensive. you need to fundraise to pay for them
    parents are cheaper

you should grab a lift with a parent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

I would but the cars are nearly always full. I feel stupid asking for a left to matches

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭neiphin

your a winge bag

neiphin wrote: »
    your a winge bag

Not very helpful at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭neiphin

Not very helpful at all.
    look
    iam involved with my own club, i would be cheeper to give them 1k at the begining of the year and tell them to f-off
    but thats not why iam involved

• Advertisement

neiphin wrote: »
    look
    iam involved with my own club, i would be cheeper to give them 1k at the begining of the year and tell them to f-off
    but thats not why iam involved

I'm only involved myself cause of the kids.

I do understand buses are not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

How far is it and if your helping out I am sure some one will give you a lift. Its great to get invited to other counties for games it gives the kids real confidence. You are lucky we have 4 playing at different ages. We have not had an evening off in months but its great craic watching them though.

dzer2 wrote: »
    How far is it and if your helping out I am sure some one will give you a lift. Its great to get invited to other counties for games it gives the kids real confidence. You are lucky we have 4 playing at different ages. We have not had an evening off in months but its great craic watching them though.

Coming from Galway. Ya it is great that the club gets invited to these kind of things. Our lads are full of confidence only lost one match this year and are in the east Galway league semi-final
    We where in Dublin two years ago and won it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The fact is that in many clubs parents would travel to the games regardless, so it makes no sense to hire a bus for most trips. Clubs are strapped for cash and this is one area where many have cut back. It all adds up at the end of the year.
    We decided 3 years ago to cut out busses for games within the county, and our annual bill came down from 6k to 2k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Welcome to the GAA, I help with underage and bring 3 or 4 kids in the car to away matches. Hiring a bus ain't an option. I also end up doing ref as well. Somebody doesn't like a decision ? Tough sh@t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 DunedinOg

I don't think your criticism is very fair but the club could charge everyone for a seat on the bus rather than pay for it out of club coffers. Bottom line, underage involvement means you put way more in than you get out but there is nothing to beat it all the same IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Many years ago when I played under age GAA, everybody used to meet at a certain part of the town. So all the parents that were going to the game would be there as well as the kids whose parents were not going. Everybody would get a lift, I never saw anybody left behind.

But you say you "got a text". Who did you get a text from? Why dont you just ask that person for a lift??? I dont see why asking for a lift is stupid :confused: Geez, the amount of lifts I got to matches back in my <19 year old days! And the amount of lifts my Dad gave to people picking me up from training! Lifts are part of the GAA - its nothing to feel stupid about!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Clubs down here still use buses but one of the mentors has to carry a car to the game just in case of an injury should it require a player been taken to hospital.

When I was a young lad it was a 1 pound per player for the bus and then they changed it to us selling lines for a draw and the money raised in that would go towards the cost of the buses.

Advertisement