Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Irish can apply as the jobs are not advertised (nursing jobs only)

Options
  • 11-06-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Thousands of third world nurses are working here and the jobs were not advertised in Ireland. Nearly every job (except nursing) that requires a work permit has to be advertised in Ireland under the Labour Market Needs test.
    Nursing jobs that employ third world nurses do not have to be advertised in Ireland. So, how could Irish Nurses apply for these jobs? The Labour Market Needs test does not apply to Irish Nursing jobs.
    http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/nurses.htm

So, I guess no Irish need apply.

I think Nursing jobs should be advertised same as other jobs. If a hospital wants to employ a nurse the job should be advertised so that everyone can apply for it - even Irish people. I even believe jobs in private hospitals should be advertised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I dont see a job being advertised there. Looks like it simply for people from overseas wanting to work as a nurse, and how to apply for their permits or renew.

Or is this simply a trolling thread directed at the job market/public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Thousands of third world nurses are working here and the jobs were not advertised in Ireland. Nearly every job (except nursing) that requires a work permit has to be advertised in Ireland under the Labour Market Needs test.
    Nursing jobs that employ third world nurses do not have to be advertised in Ireland. So, how could Irish Nurses apply for these jobs? The Labour Market Needs test does not apply to Irish Nursing jobs.

Apply for what? I dont see any jobs advertised there :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Oooh a foreigner thread, this should be interesting.
    So, how could Irish Nurses apply for these jobs?

What jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

in b4 the bite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Scalpel please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Another thinly veiled racist thread. *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Bed baths....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Bleedin thousands of furriners....thousands i tell ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Bed baths....

Bed&Bathsalts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

An Bord Altranais (Nursing Board) is the first stop for a Nursing Job in Ireland
    http://www.nursingboard.ie/en/homepage.aspx

What is a third world nurse?

There are migrationary trends in Nursing to do with finances of an individual like nurses from Europe going to Gulf State countries. Nurses from around the World work in the Gulf States incld from India and Philipines

Worser though is the Macro-economic trend of EU States like Republic of Ireland actively recruiting large number s of Nurses from Philippines and south Indian State of Kerala to keep the salary of Irish Nursing down. Language and Religion are other reasons these areas are targeted.

Edit: Training of Nurses in Philippines and Kerala is very, very good and using ethnicity or economic geography to suggest a failing is the typical xenophobic scare-mongering embraced by After Hours.

Further Edit: Many Nurses are recruited in Nursing Homes to care for elderly indigenous (Irish/EU) residents/patients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

irish-stew wrote: »
    I dont see a job being advertised there.

Hardly surprising that irish-stew doesn't see the advertised jobs. Are there any none Irish out there that can check the page. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

troll fail. back to school for you

I think Nursing jobs should be advertised same as other jobs. If a hospital wants to employ a nurse the job should be advertised so that everyone can apply for it - even Irish people. I even believe jobs in private hospitals should be advertised.

Erm. They are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I remember only a few months ago the government advertised 1000 new nursing jobs for graduate nurses.
    How many of these were filled? 12.
    So there are jobs for graduate nurses, just not at the wages that could be afforded during the celtic tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Ah but da Irish didn't want them during the boom..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

matTNT wrote: »
    Another thinly veiled racist thread. *sigh*

Theres a veil?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nearly every job (except nursing) that requires a work permit has to be advertised in Ireland under the Labour Market Needs test.
    Wouldn't that simply mean that if you're applying for nursing you can get a work permit to apply for a job (if available) to be a nurse, without going through the means test, ie. "why yes we see there is a need for another Halal Bakery in Dublin" etc.

It doesn't mean they're granted a job, it means they're granted the right to get a job. I can go to the sporting goods store and get a saltwater fishing license for $20 but it doesn't put fresh Cobia on my plate.

Any further comment OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

Overheal wrote: »
    Wouldn't that simply mean that if you're applying for nursing you can get a work permit to apply for a job (if available) to be a nurse, without going through the means test, ie. "why yes we see there is a need for another Halal Bakery in Dublin" etc.

Its a strange one. Only a couple of months ago RTE produced a docu-style programme about recent nursing graduates being forced to emigrate due to no positions being available for them here. Why spend vast sums of cash training people, only yo import others for new positions and force the home trained ones to move away?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NotCuteHoor

I wonder why the Nursing Union (INMO) is ignoring this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Its a strange one. Only a couple of months ago RTE produced a docu-style programme about recent nursing graduates being forced to emigrate due to no positions being available for them here. Why spend vast sums of cash training people, only yo import others for new positions and force the home trained ones to move away?

The only jobs readily available for nurses in this country at the moment are in private nursing homes. Pay and conditions aside, it's not where you would want to start on your nursing career. Most will want to get serious experience in their first few years. You won't get that in a private nursing home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I wonder why the Nursing Union (INMO) is ignoring this?

....because its a non-issue that you made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Simple economic's

Use overseas agencies to bring in nurses at half the going rate for nurses or apparently less than half the going rate for Irish educated and qualified nurses

I've a lot of respect for our foreign nurses especially from the Philippines ,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

NotCuteHoor, if you actually find a credible source for this, PM me and I'll reopen the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement