Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus Manure?!

Options
  • 11-06-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Bought a tonne bag of rotted manure for a bedding area some months back.
    Picked it up from a guy on Donedeal. It was dark brownish and wet when delivered and looked very manure-like!!
    After it has dried out from the sun however, you can see bits of recycled waste in it!! tiny pieces of plastic and laminate... feckin chancer!! anyone ever hear of problems like this??
    I tried ringing him back and he denied ever using recycled waste in his manure!! and he'd no explaination for this.
    Now, it's possible that there's some manure in it, but there's defintely other stuff in it to bulk it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Scraps of plastic sheeting or lengths of cord are common in manure. The former is wrapped around bales of silage and the latter around bales of hay. These are all waste and get treated as such with the manure. Lots of weed seeds too. Note sure about "laminate" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Some farmers use the manure pile as an alternative rubbish tip. I bought some FYM a few years back and apart from the cord described above I got everything else from scraps of plastic to animal grooming brushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

well there seems to be pieces of chipboard with plastic bits attached, other pieces of wood like mulch and I did see a piece of plastic like a veneer of a press or something.
    All very suspicous! I'm hoping there might have been some form of manure in it cause it's already rotavated into the soid and has shrubs bedded into it.
    Very cheeky all the same...
    ps this did not come from a farmer (at least I don't think it did) some lad advertising it on Donedeal delived it in a truck by tonne bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's inevitable, imo, that some bailing twine or other stuff gets in. Also, the manure could be from wood shaving/ chippings bedding rather than straw (depends on how it was sold I guess), so that could explain some wood in the mix. You'd have to ask someone more experienced with animals whether having chipboard/ conti board bits mixed in with shavings/ bark is an issue or something that happens, but I guess it wouldn't be out of the question. It has to come from someone with animals - what they're bedded on will ultimately be in the manure, along with the animal waste product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

What percentage of it is rubbish? It's not like getting manure from the garden centre which has been screened. The manure could have been piled in an area with some amount of rubbish on the ground. How much did you pay for the ton bag btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

The chipboard/laminate may have been some structure used as a container. Or, as redser7 pointed out, it may have been waste piled adjacent to the manure.
    About how much of it is not manure?
    Do you have a riddle to remove large particles such as this waste?

redser7 wrote: »
    What percentage of it is rubbish? It's not like getting manure from the garden centre which has been screened. The manure could have been piled in an area with some amount of rubbish on the ground. How much did you pay for the ton bag btw?

It was in a 1 tonne bag that cost €50. There are only sparse scatterings of plastic pieces within it but a good few none the less. Most of it appears organic. Like I say, I hope it's mostly manure, but it does seem strange that bits of chipboard, laminate, plastic, etc... have appeared in it. Some are white, some are blue and some are pieces of brown veneer...:rolleyes:

Well it sounds pretty :) I've had a few deliveries from farmers and stables and I always get some small amount of rubbish mixed in. I dont mind, it's coming from a work environment and it's much better value than bagged garden centre stuff. In fact I usually get trailor loads. The last batch was about 4 tons of horse manure for 50 euro. So try it by the trailor load next time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when you say a one tonne bag, do you mean you got one tonne of it? just that a lot of people refer to cubic metre bags as 'one tonne bags' no matter what they contain...

when you say a one tonne bag, do you mean you got one tonne of it? just that a lot of people refer to cubic metre bags as 'one tonne bags' no matter what they contain...
    It was sold as 1 tonne in a big white bag 1 tonne bag!
    are we getting away from the original query a little here? :confused:

• Advertisement

Can you post a photo showing how much is in a typical sample?

Advertisement