Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bury or burn them?

• 11-06-2013 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Would burning zombies actually be realistic? I mean, the virus would technically become airborne and infect those who inhale any smoke?

Burying them would also be a no go as it would contaminate the soil and prevent future development right?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

I reckon burn them the hot temps should kill the virus & sure if you just bury the fu*kers they can just rise up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

burning wouldnt make it airborne, if its a blood virus it would need to be in the blood.

If it is a virus then i think flames would destroy it.

I think burying wouldn't really contaminate the soil so nothing would grow its just rotten flesh and thats what soil lives on best. but you'd need to bury them deep to stop animals getting at the bodies. and that is a lot of effort.

it would really depend on the nature of the infection tho.

I think the burning is the better and safer choice if you dont have other indications, but stand up wind just incase ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I guess I just have the image of the fat water logged zombie stuck in the well in TWD in my mind....

Yeah, burning them would probably be a hell of a lot easier, safer and a LOT less work :)

I guess I just have the image of the fat water logged zombie stuck in the well in TWD in my mind....

Yeah, burning them would probably be a hell of a lot easier, safer and a LOT less work :)

drinking water would be different. any dead thing in that can make you sick, zombie or not.

would food grown in a field where zombies were buried not also run that risk?

• Advertisement

I assume it depends on the nature of the virus.

If you bury a sick man in a field and grow plants there you don't catch his sickness when you eat the plants.

worms and then bacteria break it down and the soil absorbs the nutrients and supply this to the plants. Circle of life etc.

But a virus akin to most zombie viruses could infect worm etc, turning them into zombie worms, maybe the virus can survive the breakdown and infect the crops.

Tbh, at some point youll need to draw the line.

The zombie virus in general only affect animals, humans in the main, some larger animals/birds.

so buried under ground and going through decomp is normal so it wont affect the crops.

in the drinking water it is not going through a decomp, you are drinking it untreated, so, you will get sick. I dont think you will turn but you will get the normal illness from drinking untreated water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

For solanum zombies, burn the remains. After it's been killed it's still toxic and 100% fatal to every animal species. Not sure about plant life, it's been a while since i've read WWZ and TZSG. So yeah, no chances, burn them, burn them all!

For solanum zombies, burn the remains. After it's been killed it's still toxic and 100% fatal to every animal species. Not sure about plant life, it's been a while since i've read WWZ and TZSG. So yeah, no chances, burn them, burn them all!

its fatal but doenst infect. an animal will die from the virus but wont become a zombie and its remains are safe as the virus dies in non humans.

do you even bother reading what i'm posting about at all?

After it's been killed it's still toxic and 100% fatal to every animal species.

at no point did i say it infects animals, or even hint at suggesting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

what about from a resource management perspective? how much valuable fuel are you going to spend on burning corpses? or are you willing to spend a day digging a 8ft deep pit, and make it wide enough to receive bodies?

hell, if you're not staying there, just leave em. once the head's smashed in, who cares, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say burn. If the virus is toxic to other living creatures burying them could upset the bacteria in the soil.

Maybe the virus can only kill humans but you don't know what kind of carriers there could be out there.

Kromdar wrote: »
    what about from a resource management perspective? how much valuable fuel are you going to spend on burning corpses? or are you willing to spend a day digging a 8ft deep pit, and make it wide enough to receive bodies?

hell, if you're not staying there, just leave em. once the head's smashed in, who cares, right?

gathering wood for a pyre or digging a fuelpit, even a small one would consume a lot of valuable energy that could be expended elsewere, fortifying or foraging for instance.

I'd guess if you were in a stationary location for a long period of time, you'd need a fuel/funerary pit anyway to dispose of human and food waste, might as well multipurpose it and use it to burn the corpses of the damned too.

if it was done right it would keep scavenging animals away (animals don't like the whiff of solanum, even trace amounts) which would serve three different roles.
    Waste disposal, Zombie Disposal and Animal detterent.

gathering wood for a pyre or digging a fuelpit, even a small one would consume a lot of valuable energy that could be expended elsewere, fortifying or foraging for instance.
    I think it's worth it. It's pointless making a fort if the people inside it keep getting reinfected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Burn first then bury would be my way of going about it.

do you even bother reading what i'm posting about at all?

After it's been killed it's still toxic and 100% fatal to every animal species.

at no point did i say it infects animals, or even hint at suggesting that.

you're very tightly wound for an imaginary subject.

You also realise that max brooks' take on the myth is just that. one persons take on a myth. Its not fact.
    besides, I agreed, just pointed out that the virus won't make any new zombies this way.

so, relax yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You also realise that max brooks' take on the myth is just that. one persons take on a myth. Its not fact.
    besides, I agreed, just pointed out that the virus won't make any new zombies this way.

so, relax yeah.

It's talk like that, that will get us all killed.

It's talk like that, that will get us all killed.

but not infected, so its grand

It's not really, you appear to be arguing for the sake of it with every post rather than discussing the given topic. You need to relax yourself, and Consider this post a warning. Of course i take it very seriously when one user attempts to undermine another's posts constantly, regardless of the topic. And to be brutally honest this seems to be your style of post whenever you quote anyone.

So, relax yeah, or it's the pit for you.

ThePit_AoD.jpg

so lets recap.
    -<snip> derailing topic

so take your warning and jog on.

and you take yourself a week holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

so, relax yeah.

Don't let the religitards hear you saying that.

He's been given a week long holiday to think about that one, lets stay on topic from here on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

.......We don't need no water let the motherf*ckers burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Dig a big pit, burn them in it, encase them in concrete and fill in the pit. No way are they getting out of that! You'd probably need to have secured a quarry to do this though. Anyone know how to operate a digger and/or cement mixer? If you can, there's room for you in my group :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

What if you buried them in quicklime? The virus keeps the body going but surely the virus couldn't protect against that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭peppy123

id have to go with burning them, last thing we need is zombie carrots :/

I dunno... Zombie carrots are kinda cool.

Zombie_Carrot_by_MJFJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

First things first, remove the head and/or destroy the brain. maybe autoclaving could then be an option, followed by burial in concrete,

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Dig a big pit, burn them in it, encase them in concrete and fill in the pit. No way are they getting out of that! You'd probably need to have secured a quarry to do this though. Anyone know how to operate a digger and/or cement mixer? If you can, there's room for you in my group :)
    The big problem in Ireland would be contaminating the groundwater. Once you'#ve burned them I don't think there's much danger but if they contaminate the groundwater it could poison everyone for miles.

The main concern is dealing with the toxic waste left over from killing the zombies. If it's a small group of zombies it might not be a problem but a large horde will be a significant risk even after the zombies are dead. When cities like Dublin or London get over run those cities will more than likely be toxic for a long time afterwards.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    When cities like Dublin or London get over run those cities will more than likely be toxic for a long time afterwards.

slightly more so than they are now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I cannot see the virus surviving fire, gotta be burning for me, though I do like the cement idea, but mixing enough cement to cover 2-3 bodies nice and deep would take all day. Not something you would want to be doing every time a zombie comes round, and the fuel would be better spent in a generator.

Has anyone considered Hydrochloric acid to simply dissolve the Zombies, but I guess you are still left with a disposal problem. (yes i did just watch the first season of breaking bad).

Has anyone considered Hydrochloric acid to simply dissolve the Zombies, but I guess you are still left with a disposal problem. (yes i did just watch the first season of breaking bad).
    You should find the mythbusters breaking bad special. They cover that very issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Fire. Burn 'em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Looshkin

I guess it depends on the nature of the infecting cells. For the most part, cells of infection, bacteria etc. tend to only survive or function within a specified temperature range. Hence fevers - they are your body's way of upping the temperature to prevent an infection from multiplying at optimal capacity. I guess it depends on the nature of the infection - I'm gonna guess a fever can't kill off the zombie virus so I'm not sure. To be fair if it were a pathogen capable of spreading via the air it wouldn't just occur when a body was burnt.
    I'd take my chances with a gas mask and burning them. Just my humble opinion.

Looshkin wrote: »
    To be fair if it were a pathogen capable of spreading via the air it wouldn't just occur when a body was burnt.
    I'd take my chances with a gas mask and burning them. Just my humble opinion.
    The main problem with burning is guaranteeing everything gets burnt. You'd want to make sure every bit is incinerated. In a standard bonfire you might have left overs.

• Advertisement

Burning could be incredibly dangerous, just because a zombie is on fire doesnt mean it will stop moving before the fire burns away the flesh. It could take hours for that to happen too, maybe more.

Burning could be incredibly dangerous, just because a zombie is on fire doesnt mean it will stop moving before the fire burns away the flesh. It could take hours for that to happen too, maybe more.
    I thought we talking about disposing of bodies more than killing them? I would have assumed we're talking about getting rid of the corpses of zombies we've dispatched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

yeah I was working off the same assumption.

how to deal wit the recently re-deceased.

burning in a large pit is still my choice. but make sure they are dead first

Sorry yeah, the whole burn them thing made me think of the barn in season 2 of the walking dead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Once dispatched burn them a lá Morgan Jones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

So where so I sign the petition to have an incinerator built about 1-2 miles from my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Looshkin

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to build a make-shift incinerator! Or maybe it would be easier to set up home in a crematorium.... Not great for mass burnings though..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Just dig a big pit

Looshkin wrote: »
    I'm wondering how difficult it would be to build a make-shift incinerator! Or maybe it would be easier to set up home in a crematorium.... Not great for mass burnings though..
    You're essentially looking to make some sort of blast furnace. As long as you can retain the heat and pressure while force feeding the fire oxygen it will have the desired effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

I guess TWD isnt well watched ha...just dig a hole (if not dead) /pile them up (if dead) add a bitta petrol/timber then boom cooked walkers no problem

Advertisement