Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paved Garden

Options
  • 11-06-2013 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

we're thinking of buying a house and really want a garden, ideally to grow veggies. We're seeing a lot of paved over gardens. Is it possible to convert these back to soil or is the paving integral to any structure like the boundary walls?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Generally not but sometimes the soil underneath the paving can become compacted and sterile. You could always bring in topsoil after removing the paving and underlying layer of hardcore etc. Another possibility is container gardening...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I've a ready supply of 'fertiliser' and wouldn't mind bringing in topsoil. Container gardening is a great suggestion but I'm hoping to create my own little piece of Eden in Dublin City centre. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

You could be lucky and find that the soil is ok underneath, but a lot if not most of the time you will find some kind of hardcore sub layer.

Oh, I also forgot to mention pipes. No big deal as most will be fairly well buried but a consideration all the same, especially if your putting in a tree etc.

Essentially, if the house is right you can work around problems in the garden. I'd be much more worried about aspect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi folks,

we're thinking of buying a house and really want a garden, ideally to grow veggies. We're seeing a lot of paved over gardens. Is it possible to convert these back to soil or is the paving integral to any structure like the boundary walls?

Thanks in advance.

Too many concrete jungles out there these days with no gardens or provision for plants at all.

Nice to see that you want to remove some of it and create a garden.:)

Block Pavers are layed on a 40-50mm bed of sharp sand and there will be 6-8 inches of hardcore compacted down underneath the layer of sharp sand..

Should be easy enough to lift/remove pavers,sand and hardcore and install topsoil,compost,manure and grit for a garden.

If dealing with any concrete...it shouldnt be too much hassle to break up any paths and concrete with a concrete breaker.

You can hire one out for 45-50 euro for a day.

Hire it on a Friday and you get to keep it till Monday morning,but you only pay for the Friday.

You can hire one out from a good builders providers,Sam Hire or JW Hire.

Try to find out where the underground utilities are located 1st,and mark their location with some line marking paint or some builders string...(gas,power,mains water,upc)

The utilities should be around 600mm below ground,but you can never tell,so be carefull when digging in the area of the underground utilities.;)

Best of luck with it,if you do buy the house.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.

You don't need to be a gardener or have a garden to grow vegetables. Plenty of options available (containers, raised beds etc). Also worth bearing in mind especially if you're ever thinking of re-selling, a practical garden will always have more sales appeal than a rudimentary veg garden. Afterall, not everyone likes a garden and even fewer will be interested to grow veg which explains why it is what you see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

OP, I would go down the container route for growing your veg and then after living in your new property for a few months, then decide on what you want to do with your garden.

Advertisement