Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know anything about props

Options
  • 10-06-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Well lads just wondering does anything know anything about changing the prop on a 9.9 mariner to get more speed out of it.

I know people are going to say buy a bigger engine, but I just can't afford it this year.

Boat is a 16+ Orkney strikeliner and engine is an 04 9.9 mariner. Boat will do about 8 knots with 3 people on board and I'm just looking to see Is there a way to get a little bit more speed out of it while saving for an upgrade. She is very light on petrol as is. About 10 liters for whole days fishing, so I wouldn't mind sacrificing this for a bit more speed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭marcp

Just realized this is in the wrong section. Could an admin move it to the boating section please.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Changing your prop to a higher pitch will give you a better top end speed but a slower takeoff speed "hole shot" I think the pitch for your engine can be anything between 7 & 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I have two props for my 15hp, stock prop and one with the higher pitch to over rev her. You get a slight increase in top speed but I feel your burning a lot of petrol for a small increase in speed.
    You might be able to adjust/change the carb, this is popular on the old Johnson 9.9s as they are almost identical to the 15's anyway and it certainly makes them a lot faster than your average 9.9.
    You might be able to do this with your engine, seems to work on older models of 9.9s

Advertisement