Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NB -Advice for Portfolio DIT

Options
  • 10-06-2013 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone could offer any advice.
    I have just been offered an interview for advanced entry for the BA in Photography in DIT next week and having a bit of a panic.
    Has anyone any helpful hints they could share with me?

Kim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cookie P74

Hello,

I used to review a lot of artist portfolios for jobs in 3d modelling/graphics etc. and whilst not directly the same the one bit of advice that is common is only show your very best work if you want to impress, even if that means having a smaller portfolio.

If you have pictures that raise questions about why you made this choice about composition, or lighting or post-production etc. then it can make the interview process that bit more difficult for you.

Other than this, for the work you do show in your portfolio, tell the interviewers about the work that went into them e.g. pre-planning, what motivated you to take the picture, photoshop work etc. If you get across your enthusiasm then this always comes across really well and can get them excited about your work and getting you on the course.

Anyway, hope that helps a little and best of luck with the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

3 Themes, about 25 images in total so approx 8 images per theme. Size not that important really. I used a small a4 Booklet with plast sleeves. Slide black sugar paper in with the images mounted on them.

1 image double page. Only put 2 images next to each other if they work with each other/lead into one and other etc...

Images can be colour or B&W.

DIT scores out of 9 points (each one working out to be the equivelant of 67 CAO points). From these 9 points it is broken down into 3 areas.

1) Articulation - getting the idea of your theme across clearly.

2) Technical - how well shot, composed, printed.

3) Artistic qualities - like it says, how artistic they are. Try to show your artistic side.

Go with your gut on the images you choose. Don't go with the images that you think OTHER people would like.

Thats how it was a few years ago anyway.

Advertisement