Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retouched lithic artefact or just natural??

Options
  • 10-06-2013 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

I've attached images here and in two posts immediately below,of a lithic which I found in plough soil.This has bugged me somewhat,for I'm not particularly sure whether it bears retouch or whether what I'm looking at is just natural damage?The material itself would appear to be a flow banded rhyolite.It has what looks remarkably like retouch along one lateral edge and at its distal end(it could just as easily be natural nibbling).It also has what looks like a notch along the other edge.It measures 41mm. x 25mm.It could be used quite easily as a side and end scraper.It also has what looks like a bulb of percussion on the ventral side.It has an all over even patination(no fresh looking chips).

Any comments or observations would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KnapperHandy

More pics relating to the thread above(Retouched lithic artefact or just natural?).

'Retouched lithic artefact or just natural??' - more images.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It looks retouched to me.

Thanks slowburner.

To be honest,I've had my doubts about it since I first found it.It was found a kilometre or more away from where I've found the other large assemblage of flint and chert artefacts.If it is worked,then that's exciting indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Definitely worked, got yourself a lovely flake there. The flat side nearer your palm in the first group of pictures is the platform and you can make out the impact point of the hammerstone. Fair play for spotting the working on the site too. Looks like retouch, for use as a scraper maybe.

• Advertisement

That's great to hear dr gonzo!Any idea where this material(I presume it's rhyolite) may have been sourced?Interestingly,a 'Bann' flake of banded rhyolite(brown in colour) was found not far from this area at Clogheen,on the banks of the Barrow;the only source for this material is in the Tardree area of Co.Antrim.

By the way,while I have your attention,I was wondering if you saw my other thread relating to what may possibly be a hearth stone??I wonder could you throw your expert eye over the images there and tell me what you think?

Thanks again.

Apologies dr.gonzo,but I forgot to ask in what possible prehistoric time period was this flake manufactured?Any guesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

That's great to hear dr gonzo!Any idea where this material(I presume it's rhyolite) may have been sourced?Interestingly,a 'Bann' flake of banded rhyolite(brown in colour) was found not far from this area at Clogheen,on the banks of the Barrow;the only source for this material is in the Tardree area of Co.Antrim.

By the way,while I have your attention,I was wondering if you saw my other thread relating to what may possibly be a hearth stone??I wonder could you throw your expert eye over the images there and tell me what you think?

Thanks again.
    Apologies dr.gonzo,but I forgot to ask in what possible prehistoric time period was this flake manufactured?Any guesses?

I'm afraid I wont be much further help to you. If I could say what the material was at all I would have to be holding it, and even then you could easily know more then me KnapperHandy. As for the dating, that is even more difficult. With Bann flakes found in the area its perfectly possible that this flake is Mesolithic but I'm not sure if theres necessarily anything diagnostic about it that could place it confidently in any one period. If JimmyArch pops along he will be substantially better help.

Unfortunately Im even more useless to you with hearth stones! It certainly appears heated, but beyond that I couldnt say.

No problem dr gonzo!

I do appreciate your help greatly.

Thanks again.

Advertisement