Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies "loyalty markup"

Options
  • 10-06-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Allo all,

We've all been in the situation whereby we spot something in the shop, only to go home and find it online for far cheaper.

Personally, I allow for 10%. More than that and I buy online.
    More often than not i'm online, and i couldn't give a fiddlers that the cash is going to the states or the UK, etc. If you wanted my money, you should have been keener.
    Example, phone case in 02 shop, €30, same thing online €10 with free shipping. That a profit can be turned on the tenner with free postage just shows the ridiculous margins here.

What is your "loyalty markup"? What percentage extra are you willing to pay to buy Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

CruelCoin wrote: »

What is your "loyalty markup"? What percentage extra are you willing to pay to buy Irish?

0%.

I don't really care where it comes from, cheapest price wins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why buy Irish, sure that Canadian beer that's come out lately is from England.

What's the nationality to a product truly worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Realistically? Nothing.

But it does lend a certain fuzzy feeling to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

0%. If the product is Irish, good quality and relatively cheap, fair enough. If not, all hail our new German overlords with their cheap music stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lets maintain standards, shall we? I tried that Canadian substance. 'Beer' is not an accurate description.

Answer to OP would be if the local price is in or around the online price plus shipping, I'll go local. There's a bit of leeway depending on whether I want or need the thing. If I'm buying books, its usually online. Due to the fact that they're always substantially cheaper from book depository, bd doesn't charge shipping, and the last time I ordered a book from a local shop it took them eight weeks to get it in. Had to buy it online in the meantime and tell the shop why I wouldn't be buying it from them after they finally got it in, three weeks after I'd cancelled the order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you're getting free shipping it makes sense but often once you put on shipping the prices even out pretty quickly.

Depends how badly I want something I suppose, for the most part the things I want to buy just aren't available locally. If I want something I put research into which is the best one available and then find the best price for that product.

I don't think cheapest is best, I think service and peace of mind are worth a couple extra euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

0% - As long as the product meets my requirements and is good quality. .....and cheap / reasonable - My wallet is happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

**Vai** wrote: »
    0%. If the product is Irish, good quality and relatively cheap, fair enough. If not, all hail our new German overlords with their cheap music stores.

That's how it starts out. Cheap music stores. Then it moves on to gas chambers. Think about what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

endacl wrote: »
    Lets maintain standards, shall we? I tried that Canadian substance. 'Beer' is not an accurate description.

Indeed, it should be returned to the horse from which it was extracted post haste.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Nationality isn't important, but I do try to buy local products where possible - mindful of foodmiles.

Wine, where I live, would be an example. I can throw a rock into my local vineyard from my backyard, yet my local supermarket has shelves of Aussie Shiraz and Chardonnay. Makes no sense to ship wine halfway around the world in bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Around 10% to try to keep my money circulating around the Irish economy - any more and I'm logged onto Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I will pay 10% to 20% extra for books in bricks and mortar bookshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

0%

I dont believe in this Support Ireland ****e that the government sprout. Did they support the irish when they handed over that cash to the bankers?
    Plus that "Truely Irish" advert is cringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

0. I buy from wherever is cheaper. I may pay extra if it is something I want at this minute and not wait 4-5 days for it but I dont care where it comes from. Bookshops like Easons are limited on what they stock and are always more expensive. They wanted 25 euro for something and they would have to order it in so I just got it from amazon for 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll pay a slight premium 10-20% up to a max of about a tenner for something if it comes with service I require e.g. advice from the guys in the local aquarium store or it's something I don't want to wait for. Otherwise I'll go on-line.

Obviously, when you need something in an emergency, the convenience of the local store trumps price and you can end up paying 100-200% premiums in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I think it's very important to buy irish. How much of a markup I allow I guess depends on what it is. Cling film, for instance. I had the option between manufactured in Ireland or manufactured in somewhere not specified. The latter was about half the price of the Irish product, but I bought the Irish one because the reality is, it may have been double the price but it was still only about a euro and that euro stays in Ireland, supporting our economy. If I bought the other one some of the money would leave Ireland. So what's only cents to me in the difference is a lot more in the difference to an Irish company.

I think it's sad that people who can afford to pay for the Irish product have no sense of loyalty to buying Irish products. If you can't afford anything but the very cheapest, fair enough. If you can though... You're not helping the economy buying imported goods when you could be supporting Irish business..

Specialun wrote: »
    0%

I dont believe in this Support Ireland ****e that the government sprout. Did they support the irish when they handed over that cash to the bankers?
    Plus that "Truely Irish" advert is cringe
    It's a pity you've condemned the entire Irish economy based on the actions of the government.

It's a simple fact, if Irish businesses can't compete they close down, jobs go, everyone ends up with no money to buy. Ireland is your community if you don't maintain your community it will fail and that would be everyone's fault not just the governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I've had a lot of feedback from my customers that the "Origin Ireland" logo makes no difference to their sales whatsoever, while it is actually hurting my sales to many Northern Irelanders, who dislike the Tricolor on packaging.

Seriously thinking of pulling the logo off my labelling. Buy Irish not really as strong as its spouted.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I've had a lot of feedback from my customers that the "Origin Ireland" logo makes no difference to their sales whatsoever, while it is actually hurting my sales to many Northern Irelanders, who dislike the Tricolor on packaging.

Seriously thinking of pulling the logo off my labelling. Buy Irish not really as strong as its spouted.
    It was great in the 90s, people went out of their way to support local Irish businesses. There was a much bigger national push towards supporting the Irish economy but that's just not there anymore. Irish people assume Irish products are overpriced.

Over all Ireland is a dead market to Irish businesses in some ways, you're better off focusing on international markets where people appreciate Irish quality and Irish products are much more competitive in other markets.

Advertisement