Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem - Internet Search is Slow

Options
  • 10-06-2013 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi
    Lately I've noticed that it can take 6-10 seconds for my Internet to respond from the time I press/click to the time of response.

Does anyone know what this problem might bhe and how to resolve it.

Thank you

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Open Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Where did u move it to Pse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

It is here now

Do you think it might be your PC or is it your internet connection?
    do you have another PC to test and is it the same?
    It could be that you have to flush the DNS cache

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Turn off IP v6.

Hi
    Thanks for both tips.
    Unfortunately I'm not very "Techie" so didn't understand what you meant, or - how to do it.

However, I followed instructions to Flush DNS from another webnsite - The instructions were as follows.
    =====================================
    Click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories
    RIGHT-CLICK Command Prompt, select "Run As Administrator"
    In the command window type the following command and hit Enter:

ipconfig /flushdns

The following message indicates success:

Windows IP Configuration
    Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
    =========================

Having done that - I'm not sure if this has resolved the problem, although response, initially, does seem better.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement

Hi Spear

Thanks for your advice.
    I just checked what "Turning off IPv6" does and read the following from Microsoft.
    Q. What are Microsoft's recommendations about disabling IPv6?
    A.It is unfortunate that some organizations disable IPv6 on their computers running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2008, where it is installed and enabled by default. Many disable IPv6-based on the assumption that they are not running any applications or services that use it. Others might disable it because of a misperception that having both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled effectively doubles their DNS and Web traffic. This is not true.

From Microsoft's perspective, IPv6 is a mandatory part of the Windows operating system and it is enabled and included in standard Windows service and application testing during the operating system development process. Because Windows was designed specifically with IPv6 present, Microsoft does not perform any testing to determine the effects of disabling IPv6. If IPv6 is disabled on Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2008, or later versions, some components will not function. Moreover, applications that you might not think are using IPv6—such as Remote Assistance, HomeGroup, DirectAccess, and Windows Mail—could be.

Therefore, Microsoft recommends that you leave IPv6 enabled, even if you do not have an IPv6-enabled network, either native or tunneled. By leaving IPv6 enabled, you do not disable IPv6-only applications and services (for example, HomeGroup in Windows 7 and DirectAccess in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 are IPv6-only) and your hosts can take advantage of IPv6-enhanced connectivity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Now go turn off IP v6 anyway.

Hi Spear
    Can you advise me
    what turning off IP v6 will do, and
    how to go about it.

Thank you

It'll stop trying to use IP v6, since you're not using IP v6.

I've done that and it's not much better really !!

• Advertisement

How exactly are you measuring the latency?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it is along time since I have used windows but ..

go to run type cmd
    type ping www.heanet.ie
    copy and paste the results here.

or go to speedtest.net and report the findings.

Hi Spear & Moonbeam
    I ran the Speedtest.net

Results
    Ping 57ms, Dowloadspeed 2.57mbps, Upload 0.32mbps.
    Hope this helps identify the issue
    Thanks again

No, not really, that just confuses things.

Are you concerned about the overall speed of your connection? Or about specific latency at points?

Hi again
    I'm concerned about the "Response time" -
    As stated in my original question - it can take 6-10 seconds for my Internet to respond from the time I press/click to the time of response.

(Or about specific latency at points? ) - I dont understand what you mean by this.

Also - now I cannot access my SKYDRIVE either - Just wonder if this is connected to the recent changes I made. I haven't used SKYDRIVE for several weeks.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Are you specifically talking about a certain website or every single link you click on? Are you just using Internet Exploder or Chrome, Firefox , Opera as well?

Advertisement