Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any reason why a second hand second stage can't be used as an octopus?

Options
  • 10-06-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm currently buying a reg with a second hand second stage. Is there any reason why I can't simply get this serviced and use it as my octopus, while buying a brand new second stage to use as my primary?

I see that generally the octopus is bright yellow to help identify it, but is there any other reason (other than colour) that I can't/shouldn't do what I'm thinking?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

Hi zulu , there are no requirements of color orientated 2nd stages . Whilst yellow is easyily identifyable once a diver has a second working reg for their own or buddys use thats the main thing . Keep it serviced and in good repair as some day you may need to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The whole "highly visible alternate air source" system has evolved for a reason. I'd be loath to just chuck it out on a whim. When I bought my regs, I bought one to use as my AAS that was just as good the one I was buying for myself. The message to my buddy: "I care as much for your safety as I do for my own." If I was diving with someone who had a brand-spanking-new, state-of-the-art reg for himself and a clapped-out oul' piece of shoight for me, I wouldn't be too happy about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Chances are that your buddy is going to pull your reg out of your mouth in an out of air situation anyway so i wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure both are functioning and in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

The whole "highly visible alternate air source" system has evolved for a reason.
    The hose would still be in bright yellow. And it's position would still be the same.
    When I bought my regs, I bought one to use as my AAS that was just as good the one I was buying for myself. The message to my buddy: "I care as much for your safety as I do for my own."
    There's a balance here, the reg would still be serviced. It would still be operational. The "message" doesn't need to be cost related. A good buddy check, coupled with a knowledge of how to handle a situation is far more important than a brand spanking new, top-of-the-range reg, frankly.
    If I was diving with someone who had a brand-spanking-new, state-of-the-art reg for himself and a clapped-out oul' piece of shoight for me, I wouldn't be too happy about it!
    Really? It would bother you if you knew it was fully operational, serviced and most importantly attached to an experience diver?

I think we'll agree to differ, but thanks - you have actually help to answer my question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Zulu wrote: »
    ...Really? It would bother you if you knew it was fully operational, serviced and most importantly attached to an experience diver?...

Ah, well there's degrees of it. Or as you say, a balance. Remember, I was talking about the extreme example of
    ...a brand-spanking-new, state-of-the-art reg for himself and a clapped-out oul' piece of shoight for me...

whereas you're talking about a good, well serviced reg, and as you say, attached to an experienced diver. If it's a regular buddy and you know each other's configuration, then it's not a problem, but I was just thinking about the days when you might drive to a dive centre on a whim and end up diving with some muppet you've never met before - if he's the kind of guy with the clapped-out piece of shoight, then, Yes, perhaps a degree of concern is appropriate.

Replacing the hose with a yellow one is a good compromise. Also, is it possible to buy just a new yellow outer ring part (or whatever it's called) for the reg?

• Advertisement

Also, is it possible to buy just a new yellow outer ring part (or whatever it's called) for the reg?
    humm, thank you - that a really good idea! I think I'll check that out, sure it could only be a few quid. Or possible buy a broken secondary for the bright plastic outer housing (if it's attachable/detachable).

Fair play - great suggestion!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

Id be more worried about diving with someone who i didnt know . As an active instructor im always diving with new divers who are very inexperienced . I always have atleast 1 other experienced diver in the water with me even if its in the pool .

Anyway once a reg is mantained and working who cares how much it cost's ? Iv a 23 year old reg that i use in the pool somtimes that originally belonged to my dad and i still have my old fully serviced ABLJ that i should bring on a dive just to see the faces of the newbies in the club ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I'm as new as new can be to diving, so shoot me down if needs be, but would it not be easiest to temporarily remove the outer ring and spray it yellow before replacing?

A new plastic cover is probably as cheap as a can of spray paint. Plus, you don't risk getting paint into the reg (and all the potential problems with that)!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 markdebarra

There is also a difference in hose length. Standard demand valve hose length is normally 75cm, whereas standard Octopus demand valve hose length is normally 100cm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement