Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosses Point Beach -- Rubbish??

Options
  • 10-06-2013 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Such a mess on the beach yesterday and Sat evening .. why can't people bring their rubbish home with them!! and the chipper van being there didn't help much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bodidly

Took a walk on the second beach the other evening and so many people just left all their rubbish there. Water bottles, dirty nappies, towels, food packaging. Some people have no respect at all for places of beauty. It looked like a dump. Our visitors to Sligo must also be disgusted and won't be left with a good impression of our town.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I was there on Sun morning at about 8am .. the two bins at the top of the beach path were completely full and rubbish lying all around them, worse still there was a TV Crew filming an interview with a guy in a wetsuit .. hopefully they didn't get to much of the beach in.

on my way home I cycled past a local business man out on the main road doing his bit for the Tidy Towns, fair play to him, pity the TV weren't interviewing there!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Long gone are the days when you took everything with you when you left. My Dad (RIP) would have given me a serious boot in the hole if I had left any rubbish behind me. And my mum (RIP) was so conscientious, she'd nearly hoover the beach before she went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I have it well drilled into my two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Long gone are the days when you took everything with you when you left. My Dad (RIP) would have given me a serious boot in the hole if I had left any rubbish behind me. And my mum (RIP) was so conscientious, she'd nearly hoover the beach before she went home.

Agree. my old man used say "leave nothing behind on the beach but your footprints".
    Sadly, it isn't the case nowadays with most parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Bodidly

That's a great saying red Sean and one I'll definitely be passing on to my children ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

That is shocking- I drove past the prom in Salthill on sat eve and there was a huge clear up going on with loads chipping in to make sure the place was left clean. Galway folks obviously have more pride in their beaches!

lubie76 wrote: »
    That is shocking- I drove past the prom in Salthill on sat eve and there was a huge clear up going on with loads chipping in to make sure the place was left clean. Galway folks obviously have more pride in their beaches!

Not necessarily, although I applaud their civic awareness. Salthill is an "in town" beach more or less whereas Rosses Point is away from the village a bit. As a result the local Tidy Town people may not see the problem straightaway. The County Council usually look after the Point beach but with cutbacks now it's possible they're not working weekends.

It's the visitors to the beach is the problem. Dirty b*stards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

The council should leave the rubbish there for one weekend so when the dirtbags return they can bathe in their own filth.

Wasn't there a case of a child a couple of years ago getting seriously burnt on her feet when she stood on a disposable bbq which was covered with sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭scarlet43

It never ceases to amaze me how people can leave rubbish behind and not feel guilty about it. It's not a big deal to tidy up after yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

The council should leave the rubbish there for one weekend so when the dirtbags return they can bathe in their own filth.

Of course, that wouldn't work, because the type of people who leave rubbish behind on the beach wouldn't see this as their problem: "de f---in council, doin' notin' as usual" would be the response, rather than cleaning up after themselves, as any self-respecting person would do.

Right on the button, Q47!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Wasn't there a case of a child a couple of years ago getting seriously burnt on her feet when she stood on a disposable bbq which was covered with sand.

it was a fire that was lit the night before at a party, there were rocks etc in it, they covered it over with sand. was still hot the next day, a kid stood onto it, sand gave way and got some bad burns on their leg. it went to court, i don't know what the result was.

the litter is digusting, how people can be so lazy to not bring it with them is beyond me. also, if a bins full, don't be leaving bags of rubbish beside it, crows, dogs, wind are going to make a mess.

dirty pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    and the chipper van being there didn't help much!

Its hardly his fault, in fairness.

It shouldnt be (and isnt) the councils job to clear up after people like waiters. Some people are just dirty and selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... because we have raised a generation of people who think they can throw things at their arses, thats why. Beaches all over the country are the same. I seen volunteers (most of them teens) collecting rubbish on a Donegal beach last week, clearing up after the scum had left to go home, leaving their rubbish behind. Fair play to them, the volunteers that is, not the scum.

Drop in moral standards, and its only going to get worse.

Have to agree with you NIMAN. It's a national problem. We really need to educate our children about the wrongs of litter,graffiti etc.from a young age and hope that at least some will listen and act. I wonder do these people do the same in their houses or gardens?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

well from what it looks like last week the kind of calibre that were at the beach would expect other people to pay for their day out. Just like they do their house, dole, healthcare etc..Their hardly going to start cleaning up their rubbish now are they.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

red sean wrote: »
    Have to agree with you NIMAN. It's a national problem. We really need to educate our children about the wrongs of litter,graffiti etc.from a young age and hope that at least some will listen and act. I wonder do these people do the same in their houses or gardens?

Incorrect. It's an international problem. Beaches in Australia even had syringes left on them :eek:!!! Buried bottles and cans were also a problem. People in general the world over can be pig ignorant at the destruction their rubbish can cause. I live beside a nice lake where I picked up 6 bags of rubbish last week!! The majority I know for a fact left by a certain minority group.

Sick to death of picking up after other people. Why should tidy towns/councils have to do it?! Bit of manners and respect for other peoples property is whats needed. Judges should be handing down community litter service rather than inadequate small fines. Might get the message across to some low-lifes!

Advertisement