Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintaining Range for formula in excel

Options
  • 10-06-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum, if not, please feel free to move.

I have a sheet with values listed in two column. Lets say peoples names and a count of those names.
    A2...An, with A1 = 'Names'
    B2...Bn, with B1 = 'Count'

|.| A | B |
    |1| Name | Count |
    |2| John | 1 |
    |3| Bill | 2 |
    |4| Bill | 2 |
    |5| Mark | 1 |

As I add names to column 'A' I want to know if a previous entry of the same name exists, and if so how many in total to be populated in 'B'.

So In B2...Bn, I should have the formula;
    '=(COUNTIF(A2:A100,A2))', '=(COUNTIF(A2:A100,A3))', ... n

So I am essentially searching the range A2:A100 for the value from A2. If found return the count. This is fine. And works no problem. Except that I have to specify the end point of the range in each formula. I just want to search the entire column. Also, If I select the cell and drag down, the range will increment, which will mean its not searching the entire list.

So instead of;
    '=(COUNTIF(A2:A100,A2))', '=(COUNTIF([B]A2:A100[/B],A3))', ... n

It becomes;
    '=(COUNTIF(A2:A100,A2))', '=(COUNTIF([B]A3:A101[/B],A3))', ... n

Any ideas how I can keep the formula the same except for the change to the value to search? Ideally I would like to search A1/A2 up to the current cell everytime. I am restricted in that I can't use VBA or macros.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

To fix a cell, put a $ in front of it.

E.g.

$a$3:$a$101

To fix just the column

$a3:$a101

To fix just the row

a$3:a$101

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Graham wrote: »
    To fix a cell, put a $ in front of it.

E.g.

$a$3:$a$101

To fix just the column

$a3:$a101

To fix just the row

a$3:a$101

I had tried this but only in front of the letter not the index so it didn't work. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

You can use A:A to use the entire column as the range:
    =COUNTIF(A:A,A2)

Advertisement