Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare v Cork Hurling and Football

Options
  • 10-06-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I think the Munster GAA have missed a trick here....why not have both matches on next weekend as a double header in the Gaelic Grounds?? Would be a better atmosphere than having the two of them as stand alone fixtures, not to mention a bit easier on the finances of both sets of fans :mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

You are a person of great wisdom zanajak. Which is why you have no place in the Munster Council :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

zanajak wrote: »
    I think the Munster GAA have missed a trick here....why not have both matches on next weekend as a double header in the Gaelic Grounds?? Would be a better atmosphere than having the two of them as stand alone fixtures, not to mention a bit easier on the finances of both sets of fans :mad::mad:

But would Clare footballers be happy with that? They lose home advantage....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Boots234

Not a bad idea. At least the footballer's will have a decent crowd in the ground from half time in their game because as it stands there will be a pitiful crowd in Ennis next Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

But would Clare footballers be happy with that? They lose home advantage....

The GAA could not change the venue as their is a home an away agreement with Cork and Clare.We played them in 2010 in Cork,so we have to play them away this time.
    The reason that last years game was in Limerick was it being a provinical decider and Ennis coudnt hold the capacity required for a Munster final.
    There was very few at the game,but the GAA wont hold provinical deciders in grounds with limited capacity.

Clare would be mad,to forfeit home advantage.Their is no way they will beat Cork,but in Ennis they can at least compete.The other point to remember is if clare did agree to play Cork in Limerick a week later on the same day as the hurling,Cork would only have two weeks to prepare for a Munster Final in football.

Such are our injuries,Id say Cork would much prefer to have Clare on the 16th of June and then 3 weeks to prepare for Kerry.

And likewise Clare hurlers would not want to be facing Cork on the 16th of june if it was brought forward,as Davy woudnt want another big game in the space of two weeks, after playing waterford on the second.

Last year,they were caught in the qualifers and looked tired due to so many games being played so close together.He will much prefer the game on the 23rd.
    The Munster championship games are pre determined months in advance unlike the qualifers.
    I see your point,but it is a no go in this instance.

On some days it should be done.
    I remember having to travel to Croke park a sat and sunday the same weekend ,I think it was 2006.
    We played Donegal in the Football,and then Waterford in the hurling on the Sunday.That was madness from a Cork fans point of view.Nothing was done then to get both games the same day,so nothing will be done for the Munster games this year.
    And in this instance I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

The GAA could not change the venue as their is a home an away agreement with Cork and Clare.We played them in 2010 in Cork,so we have to play them away this time.
    The reason that last years game was in Limerick was it being a provinical decider and Ennis coudnt hold the capacity required for a Munster final.
    There was very few at the game,but the GAA wont hold provinical deciders in grounds with limited capacity.

Clare would be mad,to forfeit home advantage.Their is no way they will beat Cork,but in Ennis they can at least compete.The other point to remember is if clare did agree to play Cork in Limerick a week later on the same day as the hurling,Cork would only have two weeks to prepare for a Munster Final in football.

Such are our injuries,Id say Cork would much prefer to have Clare on the 16th of June and then 3 weeks to prepare for Kerry.

And likewise Clare hurlers would not want to be facing Cork on the 16th of june if it was brought forward,as Davy woudnt want another big game in the space of two weeks, after playing waterford on the second.

Last year,they were caught in the qualifers and looked tired due to so many games being played so close together.He will much prefer the game on the 23rd.
    The Munster championship games are pre determined months in advance unlike the qualifers.
    I see your point,but it is a no go in this instance.

On some days it should be done.
    I remember having to travel to Croke park a sat and sunday the same weekend ,I think it was 2006.
    We played Donegal in the Football,and then Waterford in the hurling on the Sunday.That was madness from a Cork fans point of view.Nothing was done then to get both games the same day,so nothing will be done for the Munster games this year.
    And in this instance I agree.

agree totally. The schedule for the provincials are set in stone. Whereas whilst the All Ireland qualifiers dates are set, they are all subject to change. For example, if one match is Round 2 is drawn, then the subsequent Round 3, 4 and Quarter Finals are delayed by a week. Whilst Cork got split for a few years ago, I think it was in 2009 Cork got the one day in Croker with a Quater football against Kildare and semi hurling against Kilkenny - less said about the hurling the better.

So I think where a county is scheduled to have a two teams playing on the one weekend, every effort should be made to put them in the same place. And whilst that might suit counties like Cork for Croke Park fixtures, it would definitely enhance attendances for other counties in places like Offaly and Clare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement