Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingston Technology 120GB SSD V300 SATA 3 with Adapter - £64.99 - Amazon.co.uk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

450 Mb/s read/write is quite good speed, good spotted! And just to clarify - adapter attached is 2.5' thin plate to match standard 2.5' HDD thicknes - it's not 5' bay adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Yea got this my Samsung netbook needs reviving, can I copy existing files drive onto new with software intact or clean install?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Have this drive in my laptop. got it about a year ago, no problems and huge speed increase.

Just got another one for my Desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Clean install much better
    chris1970 wrote: »
    Yea got this my Samsung netbook needs reviving, can I copy existing files drive onto new with software intact or clean install?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

Damn this forum! Just about to pull the trigger on the 240gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

thanks going o get this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Quite cheap for such a good SSD..

Purchased! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

My laptop is starting to chug a little so I got one of these, the price is right. Picked up more RAM and an enclosure to put a hard drive where my unused CD drive is right now too.

Total about €150 so I'm hoping for a pretty dramatic speed increase.

EGriff wrote: »
    My laptop is starting to chug a little so I got one of these, the price is right. Picked up more RAM and an enclosure to put a hard drive where my unused CD drive is right now too.

Total about €150 so I'm hoping for a pretty dramatic speed increase.

I would have done this to my laptop.

You can also get another box to install your optical drive into as an external USB drive.

Disk arrived today and installing it at the moment, thanks OP.

• Advertisement

dingding wrote: »
    Disk arrived today and installing it at the moment, thanks OP.

When was yours shipped? Mine was only sent out yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

BrendanD wrote: »
    Clean install much better

A clean install is required to enable AHCI with windows anyways, which gives you the best performance from an SSD

Email received with dispatch notice.

11 June 2013 15:03

Tinie wrote: »
    A clean install is required to enable AHCI with windows anyways, which gives you the best performance from an SSD

Would this work and save a reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html

And will it work if you have a mix of drives, i.e. an SSD for your OS and applications and a couple of standard HDD for data.

Tried this and it works.

And will it work if you have a mix of drives, i.e. an SSD for your OS and applications and a couple of standard HDD for data.

Im not sure, I just did a clean install when I got my SSD.

ANd yeah, I use my SSD for OS and applications, and my 2 hard drives for music, games, videos etc. Works fine, and easy to use with windows libraries.

My mistake, AHCI isn't required, but its just advised to do if you can do a clean install. Your SSD will still work without it enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

If you don't want to reinstall windows then follow this:

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

I recently replaced the drive on my old laptop and it worked without any problem. After cloning just swapped the hard disk with SSD, nothing else was required.

Cloning software is there in the link above but here its again:
    http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/download.htm

Should I stick the SSD in where my current HDD is and move the HDD to the CD-Rom bay? Since I will be using the new one as my OS drive. Or does it matter at all, I know I can set the boot order and all that.

I should really know this stuff already.

Should I stick the SSD in where my current HDD is and move the HDD to the CD-Rom bay? Since I will be using the new one as my OS drive. Or does it matter at all, I know I can set the boot order and all that.

It doesn't really matter to be honest, but if you have a front fan, id put the HDD closer to the airflow of that, as HDD get hotter than SSDs im sure.

It does not matter the boot drive as set in the bios will by default become the C drive if it has a valid OS on it.

You should be able to have both your disks and your SSS on the machine of you get the data and power cables.

If you are stuck you can get them in most PC Worlds or Maplins.

Or on line. The drive did not come with any cables or mount brackets or screws.

It does not matter the boot drive as set in the bios will by default become the C drive if it has a valid OS on it.

You should be able to have both your disks and your SSS on the machine of you get the data and power cables.

If you are stuck you can get them in most PC Worlds or Maplins.

Or on line. The drive did not come with any cables or mount brackets or screws.

I'll probably just stick it in the CD drive then and leave the spinner where it is. From what I've seen on youtube you don't need any extra cables to put the SSD with the caddy in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Naah, put the SSD where your current boot HDD diver is, then its all your choice.

Putting the boot drive in modular bay is not a good idea since its hot swappable.

Preferably the boot drive needs to be in a fixed a fixed place rest its all up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Thanks oP, just what i was looking for! :)

ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00A1ZTZOG&linkCode=as2&tag=httpthekidsfr-21

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Cheers OP, just ordered one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Mine came with firmware 506-. Some find that it has better speeds with 505-.

This is a benchmark with a SATA 2 connection

258788.jpg

So I was getting worried because my order hadn't arrived yet, I go to close the curtains in the living room and I find the box behind the couch. Bloody postman must have dropped it in the top window while I was out.

Now to try install this and the ram I ordered.

So I got the ram going OK and I have the SSD in where the CD drive used to be.

I can see the SSD in device manager but it won't show in explorer, windows seems to think I still have a CD drive.

Anybody know what I should do to fix this?

Edit: It needed to be formatted in disk management. Rookie mistake.

I'll leave this here in case anyone else has the same problem.

Advertisement