Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for Hard disk 320 or 500 with linux pre-installed

Options
  • 10-06-2013 9:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I got 1 year old compaq with 320 HD with wins 7 and its full up mostly with films i get of youtube ( Films and web sites get taken down so i like to keep the copy in case it is removed or taken down )

Last weeks revelation that the USA and probably the EU governments using the PRISM system can with Microsoft and apple easily spy on my computer and possibly linux can block their nosy big brother unwarranted spying

Most of all I don't want big brother to come onto my hard disks and wipe out my stuff using these big brother crap of Copyright when i don't do this for commercial reasons .I just like to keep the stuff i see as back up copy for the future when the big brother EU cracks down and makes us register for all internet traffic and stores the stuff in the Cloud and you say one bad thing they cut you off from the cloud and your stuff you saved is gone

I have a back up disk 320 with copies of the same

I prefer to get the 320 HD as they are more robust on average but getting hard to find them so figure it will be 500 HD next time

Now i would rather get away from the windows 7 and have new HD and have the Linux pre loaded on or load it on myself

Installation of HD disk is easy 10 minutes to remove and install a new HD

I originally tried the process with the new HD I bought last month to make the new HD be linux version but it never panned out so gave up and just use the new HD as back up ( project went on the back burner )

Now with definitive proof that Google and MS and Apple and the rest of the big Computer Giants allow everything to be spied on , I want to try again with Linux and look into deep net and get a www.startpage.com web mail that is not for sale to big brother and is deeply encoded

Basically for the Big brother its non of their business so they can take a hike i will make it as difficult as possible for them . I do know they got supercomputers that can see and read most everything in the planet but i don't want them to have a easy ride.
    As the encoding slows thing a lot i mostly don't need that type of solution so much as safe offline storage away form the cloud

My preference if the price is not too expensive is to by a HD with the linux on it suitable to run my type of compaq and who sells or does such a service and then they post it too me and i install the Hard disk myself .

Failing that who is guru online that can help me out when i try it again and i will buy the hard disk locally .

I am not married to any type pf Linux i have used different type on and on and off but each time was lucky had friends who installed it for free on my other now clapped out laptops .Unfortunately these friends have all with 2008 economic crisis left the Island to get jobs in other climes where they don't have to work for low wages in Irish computer industry :eek: or worse for free to computer junkie scroungers like me :D

The big problem is i am not online with any other computer at he same time as i only got the one laptop functioning properly presently driven by the dongle ( my net book 101 the screen is broken and needs big power to drive the 21 inch screen .As I live in the camper VAN for now doing camping savage eg not camping in camping sites my alternator cant drive the 220 volt supply to drive the larger screens .Try finding a suitable cyber cafe that allows you to hook in the gear yourself is a night mare and expensive )

No I am not with the anonymous lot I cant get my head around their with their agenda .
    I just don't like big brother spying on me for no reason or worse wiping out my collection of stuff I keep for my own use .
    Most of the web sites and films I keep are documentaries on history and Big brother often attacks them as they don't want the real history out there, as it exposes that History in schools and universities is mostly all lies invented by BIG BROTHER.
    Many times when i visit France these sites are blocked by the french government and only when i get back to Ireland or using TOR can i get to see the stuff.

As you can see all though my collection of Hard disks in the 320 size is now only 3 in all and one 500 and a few smaller drives like 40 GB they are all just back ups and I cant spend a fortune on this problem . And also I cant afford the RAID solutions either so it just gonna be one HD online and the rest offline back up

I gave up on the CD 4 gb disks after the collection hit 200 or so as its too bulky and slow and prices of HD dropped enough

Derry

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If I understand you,get a new hd and go here http://www.ubuntu.com/download burn the download to a disk.Put the new hd in your laptop and the disk in the cd/dvd drive and power on the pc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

mp22 wrote: »
    If I understand you,get a new hd and go here http://www.ubuntu.com/download burn the download to a disk.Put the new hd in your laptop and the disk in the cd/dvd drive and power on the pc.

If I recall last months attempt to it that way didn't pan out .
    I cant remember why kit wouldn't work for me . (At that time I was in Switzerland and the cost of the net per day was one coffee for €4 for four hours use and at those prices for coffee you buy one coffee and make it last as long as possible electric power included ).

Now I get access to the net in FRANCE now for 2gb per month via my dongle and for big downloads €1 euro coffee for as many hours as my ass can take it electric power included

Next month might be back in Ireland and use my pay as go dongle 7gb per month

I Thought I would rather avoid the problem and just buy the disk with the Linux pre installed over the net from some shop probably in Ireland so it gets sent to my Brothers house and he posts it to my location at that time

Basically mucking around with computers on the side of the road isn't so easy as when you live in your apartment so looking for least hassle route that doesn't get to expensive

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Perhaps running a 'live' linux release from a USB stick might suit you. Puppy linux is small, so is DSL (Damn Small Linux). Or if you want abigger, more mainstream linux, you could download it with bittorrent perhaps, would allow you to do it bit-by-bit in several net cafe sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tinfoil_hat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Derry, concise and thoughtful as always. Have you tried this version of Linux yet? http://www.openingupnorthkorea.com/downloads-2
    If you send your HardDisk to 73 Gunnersbury Avenue, in Ealing, London they will load it up for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement