Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cylinder 1 misfire detected... 00 1.4 vvti Corolla

Options
  • 09-06-2013 11:51pm

Ughhh.... didn't need this..
    00 1.4 vvti Corolla
    So the car was running normally and then I notice it's not running so smooth, it has a very rough idle, feels like it's firing out of sync and juddering. Power is lacking too. The engine light comes on and I'm getting worried, then it starts to flash so I stop. I eventually wheel the thing home and check the error codes.

P0301 -- Cylinder 1 misfire detected
    P0130 -- Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

faults_zps4aa0eefa.png

Small bit of history on the car, I've had the faulty oxygen sensor code before (P0133 as well as P0130) but car was always running perfect. I cleared them and it passed all emissions tests. So with the added fault code (P0301) and juddering/loss of power I suspect it's more serious this time around... :/

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Replace the O2 sensor or swap it with another? Test your injector on Cylinder 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

would you really check the injector first as opposed to the likes of a spark plug or coil/ lead?

i see you are using easyobdii program, did you check the voltage at the o2 sensor with it?

Didn't check the voltage on the sensor. I've looked it up and it seems that when the CAT gets too hot (because unburnt fuel from cylinder 1 is being sent to it to be burned off) it will cause the Engine light to flash. I'm really hoping this is a bad spark plug...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i wouldn't panic just yet. i'd change the plugs for a start, erase the codes and go from there. when were they last changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yeah as said don't panic just yet , to test the O2 sensor just disconnect it and bring the car for a drive and see if the problem stays.

As for the cylinder , sounds like spark plug has gone foul to me. I'd change the plugs or at least take them out and give them a clean with a wire brush and some injector cleaner, probably better off just swapping them. Then check that the coils and leads are working , there's a number of ways to manually check the coils and leads to make sure they are working. It's process of emination and shouldn't be a major fix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

When did you last change the plugs? If these engines are left too long with worn plugs the result is bad coil/s.
    Similar to the way Ford petrols go but these are individual coil on plug type leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It is probably the coil. Swap it with one from another cylinder and see if the fault follows the coil. It more than likely will.

Last changed over a year ago, probably added about 15k miles since the change I'd say. I'll be checking them today to start the troubleshooting... Cheers guys for all the advice, I'll keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

check the plugs, first, had something similiar on a avensis, turned out there was a leak in head gasket and was leaking into the last plug causing it to miss a bit,was about a inch of oil sitting on top of plug

PaudyW wrote: »
    check the plugs, first, had something similiar on a avensis, turned out there was a leak in head gasket and was leaking into the last plug causing it to miss a bit,was about a inch of oil sitting on top of plug

That sounds a bit nasty, I hope that's not what's happened to mine! I'm currently doing some swap testing, I'll see how it goes..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Coil? You can change them individually

This kept happening with a friends car. I told him to replace them all in one go..... Nope! Who was right in the finish :pac:

dgt wrote: »
    Coil? You can change them individually

Yup that's what I'm about to do, the spark plugs looked OK but swapped them anyway. I'll clear the codes and test those. Then I'll change coils individually, clear the codes again and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Sacramento wrote: »
    Yup that's what I'm about to do, the spark plugs looked OK but swapped them anyway. I'll clear the codes and test those. Then I'll change coils individually, clear the codes again and see what happens.

It's a good start anyway as they're handy to change and cheap 2nd. If it is a coil you can either continue on wit the 2nd hand part or ge a new one and keep the other as a spare "tester" should the problem arise again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's a coil - more than likely. You'll get one quite easy from breakers. Remember you have 3 pin coil (if your rolla has VIN number with JT...), while much more popular are 4 pin ones. :)

Buy two if you can and keep spare one inside your car. Running it on 3 gears will burn your catalytic converter out very quickly.

Well as most have suggested it was a coil! Swapped the ones in cylinder 1 with cylinder 2, then cleared the codes, fired up the car (still juddering) and waited for the engine light to come on. When it came on I checked the code and it had changed to p0302 (previously p0301) which means cylinder 2 is now not firing. Exactly what I was hoping to see :D

Thanks for all the help and input guys! Motors forum does it again :cool:

Now to source the part. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Any decent motor factors should have one in stock.

Advertisement