Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get exhausted after drinking?

Options
  • 09-06-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭

Right so the facts. I'm 31 and for the last few years I've found it really difficult to make it to 2am on a night out. If I start drinking at 7 or 8 then pretty much by 1am I'll be wrecked, lost all interest in the night out and just want to leave and go home to bed.

I'm not sure if this is an age thing because none of my friends seem to have the same problem. This happens whether I drink cider or beer. If I start drinking things like vodka and red bull I seem to extend my night a bit but to be honest I'd rather not be drinking things like that all the time.

So just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of experience.

I'm not overweight. I'm fit and healthy. I don't have any kind of illnesses. On weeknights I usually go to bed at around 11.30 and get up at 8. I don't normally drink coffee. I don't feel tired on regular days until bed time.

(also I hate all-day drinking sessions like stag parties because on those I invariably want to go to bed around 10pm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

YES! Me too, I find that I get very sleepy as the night goes on especially on beer...although it can't be an age thing - I'm only 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its just the alcohol. Alcohol tires the body as it puts all its energy into breaking it down. I have been up all night without alcohol and im grand. I can take a few cans somenights and by 2.30 am im knackered

I think thats why yokes are so popular because at 4.30 your still going strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Alcohol is a depressant what do you expect ?.

I find that drinking beer in the daytime makes me really sleepy after 4 cans and i would have a siesta, but drinking spirits might make you last longer but you are asking for real trouble with prolonging this habit and then eventually you will find you are not as healthy as you look.

Food in-between alcohol and also for every pint of beer you have, drink a pint of water, believe me it works wonders for the liver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Welcome to your 30's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

If I start drinking at 7 or 8....

That's quite early. Why not have one or two beers at home around 9 and then hit the pub at about 10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

zenno wrote: »
    Alcohol is a depressant what do you expect ?.

I suppose I just get frustrated when I see that the people who I'm out with and have been drinking at the same rate seem to get more energetic as the night goes on whereas for me I peak after about 2 drinks and after that I almost feel like I'm trying to keep the buzz up but it's a losing battle.

I know you said you don't want to be drinking spirits but I find Jager to be especially good for keeping me going on a night out - fairly sugary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I know you said you don't want to be drinking spirits but I find Jager to be especially good for keeping me going on a night out - fairly sugary

Jaysus, I think I'd rather go to bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Try taking a pint of water after every 2nd or 3rd pint. Perhaps, your reaction is related to dehydration.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Jaysus, I think I'd rather go to bed!

Haha not a Jager man eh? Leave it in the freezer and it's pretty nice ice cold, squeeze of lemon or something to take the edge of it and you have yourself a nice beverage my friend

• Advertisement

FISMA wrote: »
    Try taking a pint of water after every 2nd or 3rd pint. Perhaps, your reaction is related to dehydration.

This is actually something that I keep meaning to do but always forget about at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

That's completely normal!

Just be careful about drinking loads of cider though - it has the double whammy of being alcoholic and full of sugar, so it can really screw up your blood sugar levels if you're drinking it on a regular basis in large quantities and that can make you tired and/or diabetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I suppose I just get frustrated when I see that the people who I'm out with and have been drinking at the same rate seem to get more energetic as the night goes on whereas for me I peak after about 2 drinks and after that I almost feel like I'm trying to keep the buzz up but it's a losing battle.

Be thankful of this, at least you are not damaging your body as much as these friends so look at it positively like this. Do they take other substances as to why they last a long time ? I suppose that's another thing but don't want to go off topic.

Drink water in-between pints and also have a small meal before you go to the pub at least an hour before hand as to the meal not being too heavy on your stomach and you will notice an energy rush later to keep you going.

PS: Drinking on an empty stomach is very bad news, so try and eat something healthy before hand if you can.

zenno wrote: »
    Be thankful of this, at least you are not damaging your body as much as these friends so look at it positively like this. Do they take other substances as to why they last a long time ?

No, generally not. Just alcohol. I guess that is a good way of looking at it alright. I mean it doesn't makes sense that someone can keep plying their liver continuously with alcohol from 7pm til 4-6am (as one of my friends often does) without causing some long term damage.

I think from the advice in this thread I'm going to experiment with starting a little later, getting a bit more food into me beforehand in the time that I'm not drinking and then drink some water during the night as opposed to just at the beginning and end of it (as i do now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i don't get tired from drinking itself, its often a combination of life. i don't know about you, but on a Friday in particular, I'm wrecked. between trying to exercise as much as possible, keep the house in order and work, the week is longer than ever. So I try my best to keep Fridays clear so i can stay in and watch some tv, or head to one of the guys houses for a drink free chat, or something similar.

Basically, I dont think its the drinking. i think i try to do too much in a week. but then, when you drink, you don't rest well either, making things worse!

Yeah I would definitely find it tougher on a Friday after working all week then on a Saturday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I find if I drink. When I come home I have 2/3 pints of water with a small amount of salt and sugar. Alcohol dehydrates you and thats the main cause of a hangover. The next morning you probably wont have a hangover and youll find out your body needed the 3 pints of water because it lost so much water trying to flush the alcohol out of your system

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

folan wrote: »
    i don't get tired from drinking itself, its often a combination of life. i don't know about you, but on a Friday in particular, I'm wrecked. between trying to exercise as much as possible, keep the house in order and work, the week is longer than ever. So I try my best to keep Fridays clear so i can stay in and watch some tv, or head to one of the guys houses for a drink free chat, or something similar.

Basically, I dont think its the drinking. i think i try to do too much in a week. but then, when you drink, you don't rest well either, making things worse!

+1 for this.

I find that come Friday I'm wrecked. Long hours working, trying to do stuff at home and all that. Come Friday evening, I'll happily have 2 or 3 then head home to chill our and relax.

Another way OP is to pace yourself, drink slower, stay on your own rather than in rounds as this way you're dictating your own pace. Also have a pint of water every few pints or have one sitting there to sip on while having a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

hfallada wrote: »
    I find if I drink. When I come home I have 2/3 pints of water with a small amount of salt and sugar. Alcohol dehydrates you and thats the main cause of a hangover. The next morning you probably wont have a hangover and youll find out your body needed the 3 pints of water because it lost so much water trying to flush the alcohol out of your system

I don't know how anyone can physically drink 3 pints of water after a night on the beer...............unless of course you haven't drank enough beer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I'm always preaching the diaoralyte after a night on the sauce. Myself and the gf used to get weird looks at Burger King at like 4am, when we're lashing dioralyte into our diet 7up!

Pints of water alone will help somewhat, but they don't address the fact that you've lost a ton of sodium and potassium via metabolic processes and the fact that you're pissing **** loads all night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

I used to always get really tired after 2/3 pints and just wanted to go to bed! I think a contributing factor to this as that I was usually fairly tired going out after a long day or week of working/studying. I don't really drink anymore so on a night out i'll just have lucozade..keeps me awake :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

sugar/glucose hangovers are also horrible though. the morning after salty eggs&bacon and lashings of water always good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

folan wrote: »
    sugar/glucose hangovers are also horrible though. the morning after salty eggs&bacon and lashings of water always good.

Stopped drinking cider because of this! I'd be in a heap after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I get tired for 2 days after, especially if I get drunk. I'm not able to take much beer these days. It usually involves me after about 6 or 7 beers almost puking, and having to stop. I always end up with a bad stomach after beer too.
    Two days after are usually a write off, the day after especially.
    So much so, I only drink the odd time, and rarely get hammered. Not since January this year. I wouldn't mind I don't drink much anyway. I feel I might be better off without it.
    Last time I got sick I asked myself "Why exactly do you drink or get drunk? For this?"

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I much prefer the gym to the pub these days. Plus booze really messes with your sleep. Best minimised and kept to the occasional few pints here and there!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Have found myself gradually slowing in terms of recovery rate. That said, I was virtually bullet proof up until now (late 20's).

I used to really enjoy hangovers, mostly a sort of dreamy, giddy sensation next day (some would argue drunk!). Nowadays, whilst still having some like the above, I have some that just leave me feeling tired and unable to be productive in any capacity. I seem to fare better than most though, my friends often seem incapacitated, a few even really down (more than a case of 'fear').

Even though I'm 'ok' probably most of the time, I'm sort of at the point where I'm now questioning my motives for getting totalled. Ok, you've passed exams/ it's your birthday/ you're on a holiday etc - grand, that's fair enough in my book and infrequent. But to do it every Saturday? Not as appealing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Its happening me with age, I'm in my late 20's. Can't wait to get home some nights, usually if I've been out the night before aswell. Hangovers are getting worse too, all the cures that used to work have little or no effect. (Except the hair of the dog but it's not so much a cure as postponing the sickness.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've found this too as I've gotten older (late 30s now).

In the "good ole days" I could do a 12 hour night shift, hit the early house and still make it back in to work for 6pm the next night, or do an all night session but them days are lonngggg gone! :P

To be honest I rarely even drink any more and don't get out much for a session.. partly because most of my friends are now married and settled and live all over the country, partly because getting home after such a night is a pain (and I got used to not drinking at all after living a few years in the country where the only way to get home was to drive), and partly because of the expense of a night out.

But on the occasions I do, I find myself more-or-less petering out after the third pint (Bulmers usually). I'm also not as able for the inevitable upset stomach and "off" feeling that comes with that stuff the next day!

There was a few drinks with friends in town last night that in the end I didn't bother going to because it would have been painful (and expensive) getting home from town by public transport, or expensive parking the car for the few hours to drink vastly overpriced pints of coke for the few hours!

Or maybe I'm just getting old?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Giving it holly

I'm in my late 30s and when i was out at say 25 years old i would always have to know how to get home or i would have to go to sleep in the pub.
    I don't go out much now but i was on a stag night recently and i drank over a litre of water on the way and took my time for the first few pints and i was able to stay out till 3 without even thinking of going back to bed.
    I would always drink water before i go out and make sure i have something to eat also.
    I still would be tired in the morning and i would not have a hangover and i can stay out longer by just doing what i said above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

pa4 wrote: »
    I used to always get really tired after 2/3 pints and just wanted to go to bed! I think a contributing factor to this as that I was usually fairly tired going out after a long day or week of working/studying. I don't really drink anymore so on a night out i'll just have lucozade..keeps me awake :P

Yeah I've found a hectic week has made me want to fall asleep after having a few pints. Sometimes Lucozade works better for nightouts, followed by a couple of pints after. So hopefully it's not an age thing (I'm 22 btw)

Advertisement