Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollock fishing Galway

Options
  • 09-06-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    New to sea fishing. Have basic gear and would live to catch a few pollock or mackerel. Im living in Offaly about an hours drive from Galway city. Anyone give me a few tips on where to fish and what to use please.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭realrebel

Jimy1971 wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    New to sea fishing. Have basic gear and would live to catch a few pollock or mackerel. Im living in Offaly about an hours drive from Galway city. Anyone give me a few tips on where to fish and what to use please.

Thanks in advance

Jim

You can catch mackerel and pollock on nearly anything so don't get too hung up on lures etc
    Try connamara krills in the heavier sizes, dexter wedges, and German sprats these are all heavy and you will get a good cast with them
    Other from that feathers will work too I like to use lures with light rods makes it more fun

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

realrebel wrote: »
    You can catch mackerel and pollock on nearly anything so don't get too hung up on lures etc
    Try connamara krills in the heavier sizes, dexter wedges, and German sprats these are all heavy and you will get a good cast with them
    Other from that feathers will work too I like to use lures with light rods makes it more fun

Thanks lad. Any good spots that I could try?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭realrebel

Thanks lad. Any good spots that I could try?

Sorry boy I'm not from Galway at all so haven't a clue but have a look at google earth and see what looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fishook

I've seen a few polishlads hanging off rocks in clare, not worth that, but i must start sea angling. the rivers will start to get high soon just asthe sedges are out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

realrebel wrote: »

Just to all to that firetail jellyworms on a jighead using a sink and draw retrieve are very effective too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Irish_Fisher

Hi lads,

Thanks in advance

Jim

hi,
    to be honest there aren't many good sea fishing spots in galway. me and 3 others tries loads of different places around galway and the only place we caught fish is in spidil or of the pier in barna.
    are
    i would go fishing in clare instead of galway because its better.

if you are fishing in galway you should use something like feathers or spinners or a spoon or deadbait

if your fishing in clare i would only use feathers or the small jelly worms with the the curly tail

if its only pollack and mackerel you want i would use something shiny (mainly for mackerel but works very well:D)

Advertisement