Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peace Park

Options
  • 09-06-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Is the Peace Park to be avoided? Went there this afternoon to enjoy the nice weather. To my surprise, given the weather and it being a Sunday, it was empty. It was littered with beer bottles here and there and I was surprised that the grass wasn't freshly cut.

Shortly after that two lads, a young lady and a 2-3 year old entered the park with a case of beer. This wasn't an issue but the lady would shout things like "Get the f*%K over here", etc. at the child when he would run about the place.

Later when we were leaving I noticed that the a different group of lads were sitting on a bench rolling/smoking joints, that or some really exotic smelling tobacoo.

My question is, has the Peace Park always been like this? I haven't been in it in a long time but thought it might be somewhere nice to spend a few hours in the sun and avoid the traffic.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Back when I was in school, that was were all the fights used to happy. Pretty ironic considering the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

The park is privately owned by the Cathedral and is maintained by the voluntary agency Sligo Social Services. It is generally kept well but the only resourses available for its maintenance is 1 CE worker who also has duties with the meals-on-wheels and the maintenance of the building, so in fairness it is difficult to have it 100% all the time, particularly at weekends.
    It is watched during the week but young people drinking, smoking! and indeed on occasion fighting in it, is an ongoing problem and has been for as long as the park has been there from what I hear. It is monitored and unsocial behaviour is dealt with but again this is more likely during the week rather than weekends.
    Generally though I would say the park is safe as I have heard no reports of anyone being hassled in it and it is a very nice little park in the center of town.
    I will let them know of your impression of it this weekend.
    regards
    Finbarr

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

darkvalley wrote: »
    It is generally kept well but the only resourses available for its maintenance is 1 CE worker who also has duties with the meals-on-wheels and the maintenance of the building, so in fairness it is difficult to have it 100% all the time, particularly at weekends.
    It is watched during the week but young people drinking, smoking! and indeed on occasion fighting in it, is an ongoing problem and has been for as long as the park has been there from what I hear
    It is a pity because it is a little oasis of calm in a busy town. I am not really complaining about the work of the maintenance staff, I just wanted to see if yesterday was once off. I appreciate that it is not viable to employ full-time maintenance staff for a small park. It is unfortunate that it only has one maintenance person on a CE Scheme, and if that is all there is it must be said that they do a fine job to keep it looking as well as it currently does. I suppose we just didn't feel 100% safe in the park either, so I can see why it was not full of families yesterday, which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭scarlet43

I love the peace park - it's a beautiful place but I don't think it's used enough. I love going in for the festival cairde have there every year (another one coming up mid July) - I just think the place is too enclosed. In my opinion, if the wall on the temple street side was knocked and something smaller with a pedestrian entrance was put in so people could actually see it, I think it would make all the difference. Not only would it look attractive (and we need more green areas in our town) but people would actually realise it was there !! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

it would be a great place to have the farmers market .. instead of the IT Car Park .. but people would have to pay for parking in the Cathedral car park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    it would be a great place to have the farmers market .. instead of the IT Car Park .. but people would have to pay for parking in the Cathedral car park.

That's a great idea. It does be so bloody cold and windy at the IT. But I think the guy who set up the market works in the IT and that has something to do with it being held there??

yeah .. he is a lecturer there..think he is quite happy where it is .. always loads of free parking anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Yeah the space and free parking is a bonus ill just need to man up and get over the cold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

scarlet43 wrote: »
    I love the peace park - it's a beautiful place but I don't think it's used enough. I love going in for the festival cairde have there every year (another one coming up mid July) - I just think the place is too enclosed. In my opinion, if the wall on the temple street side was knocked and something smaller with a pedestrian entrance was put in so people could actually see it, I think it would make all the difference. Not only would it look attractive (and we need more green areas in our town) but people would actually realise it was there !! :-)
    Scarlet42 wrote: »

I'm confused, your usernames are almost similar, save 1 number?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

And they are friends with each other :)

• Advertisement

yes .. it is confusing! .. she should have called herself Mrs. Scarlet42 .. as I was on boards first!! and I have already had that discussion with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭scarlet43

Ya Ya !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Anyway, back to the thread. I think that the peace park wouldn't suit a farmers market, not enough hard standings and level ground. If it rained it would be a complete mess.

I like the idea of a weekly farmers market in either stephens st. carpark or abbey st. carpark. Both are close to the centre of town meaning a higher footfall and close parking. The IT had free parking though.

Advertisement