Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Suit

Options
  • 09-06-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Where would be the best place in Dublin city centre to get a good work suit? Tm Lewin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Hi, I think you would want to include your budget and various other things, such as do you want it custom-made, what you work at, would you need it every day at work or only some days and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Hi, I think you would want to include your budget and various other things, such as do you want it custom-made, what you work at, would you need it every day at work or only some days and so on.

Apologies!!

Budget is about 300-350, I'd ideally like a slim fitted suit! Won't be wearing it everyday as I have 2 other suits one of which is on its way out! Work as an accountant so sitting at the desk most of the day and also meeting clients etc! Thanks for any help much appreciated!

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Apologies!!

Budget is about 300-350, I'd ideally like a slim fitted suit! Won't be wearing it everyday as I have 2 other suits one of which is on its way out! Work as an accountant so sitting at the desk most of the day and also meeting clients etc! Thanks for any help much appreciated!

OK I'll have a stab at giving you a few pointers. Your budget is relatively low for a suit, but can still be done.

I think Marks & Spencer would be a good place to start, I am pretty sure they do slim fitted suits, possibly not in their top range, but you could have a look in any case. Even the top range is not particularly expensive and is very good quality.

TM Lewin I believe does cheap enough suits, but I must confess I have only ever bought shirts from there so would not really be able to advise you on whether their suits would be a good purchase.

I seem to remember River Island, Topman, Burton etc all having slim-fit suits, but I would avoid as they tended to be polyester, cheap looking items.

Possibly a good compromise would be H&M. Especially if you didn't need to wear the suit every day. Their suits are slightly better quality than the above, plus they can look quite good, although they would not be long lasting and should be avoided for every-day wear.

Best often have some good deals on suits, I think their quality is fairly good, but again don't quote me on it. Not sure if they would stock slim-fit either.

Zara I would avoid, Massimo Dutti I think is a 'higher-end'/better quality version of the same company, so may be a good choice if you can find something reduced.

Of course if you want to increase your budget by a couple of hundred, there are many places to choose from, such as Magee, Louis Copeland, James Herren, Maurice Abrahams, Suitable Company etc. I also found Brendan Kidd to be very knowledgeable (and not too expensive) on Capel Street.

Try to buy wool or a wool blend if possible, probably best to get a thick wool also, even though you won't be wearing it every day, it will last longer. I suppose for accounting you would need a fairly conservative colour, so choose navy or dark grey.

Hope this helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    OK I'll have a stab at giving you a few pointers. Your budget is relatively low for a suit, but can still be done.

I think Marks & Spencer would be a good place to start, I am pretty sure they do slim fitted suits, possibly not in their top range, but you could have a look in any case. Even the top range is not particularly expensive and is very good quality.

TM Lewin I believe does cheap enough suits, but I must confess I have only ever bought shirts from there so would not really be able to advise you on whether their suits would be a good purchase.

I seem to remember River Island, Topman, Burton etc all having slim-fit suits, but I would avoid as they tended to be polyester, cheap looking items.

Possibly a good compromise would be H&M. Especially if you didn't need to wear the suit every day. Their suits are slightly better quality than the above, plus they can look quite good, although they would not be long lasting and should be avoided for every-day wear.

Best often have some good deals on suits, I think their quality is fairly good, but again don't quote me on it. Not sure if they would stock slim-fit either.

Zara I would avoid, Massimo Dutti I think is a 'higher-end'/better quality version of the same company, so may be a good choice if you can find something reduced.

Of course if you want to increase your budget by a couple of hundred, there are many places to choose from, such as Magee, Louis Copeland, James Herren, Maurice Abrahams, Suitable Company etc. I also found Brendan Kidd to be very knowledgeable (and not too expensive) on Capel Street.

Try to buy wool or a wool blend if possible, probably best to get a thick wool also, even though you won't be wearing it every day, it will last longer. I suppose for accounting you would need a fairly conservative colour, so choose navy or dark grey.

Hope this helped!

That's great thanks a lot for your help, based on the above ill probably increase the budget by a couple of hundred and get myself a good quality suit ill shop around with Louis Copland etc thanks again!

Medium or Dark Grey (charcoal) a good colour. You may have to get the pants adjusted for length so see if that's included. I'd go 2 button these days. make sure that the arms aren't too long or short. Tm Lewin would be in your price range and are reasonable quality. M&S you could probably get a bit cheaper.Surprisingly places like TK Maxx can have decent suits for a good price but it's very random if something decent is in there at a point in time or not. To make a suit last longer, can be an idea to get a second pair of pants if poss as that's what wears out / gets shiny. M&S do separates (i.e. can buy second pair of pants on their own) more than other places I think. Custom suits are pretty expensive and of course it depends on your body shape if an-off-the shelf suit will work well for you or not.

• Advertisement

Mark1916 wrote: »
    That's great thanks a lot for your help, based on the above ill probably increase the budget by a couple of hundred and get myself a good quality suit ill shop around with Louis Copland etc thanks again!

Good call. I find generally, the more you up your budget, the better the advice you get from assistants, ie in Louis Copeland. Be careful, this is not always the case with high end brands, Armani, Alexander McQueen etc.

I like LC a lot, there's generally a relaxed atmosphere there and they are very knowledgeable about their stock. The only slight negative would be that they carry a lot of Hugo Boss suits (last year anyway) and HB are notorious for being badly-made in relation to their price, classic case of brand over quality.

Advertisement