Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rent in the city, would The Steelworks (Foley St.) be recommended?

Options
  • 09-06-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm starting a job in Dublin in a few weeks and am planning on renting a place with a few of my colleagues. I'm originally from the city but have been living in the midlands for years now, so I wouldn't trust my own judgement on areas in the city anymore.

One of the places we're looking at is an apartment in The Steelworks, just on Foley St. The apartment seems very nice but I'm wondering how good the area is. Is it known for any trouble (besides the usual trouble you would get in any city)? Also, what is the nightlife in the area like? I know it's not a far walk from most decent pubs/nightclubs but it would be nice if there were one or two nice pubs nearby.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

You're within easy reach of Sheriff St which isn't good. What do you look for in a place to live?

There are some lovely places a bit further down the Luas, even if they are a bit soulless.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GavinFlud

Ultimately, we're just looking for a nice apartment in the city centre, preferably in a nice enough location and within walking distance of some decent nightlife spots. Since there is four of us, I'm finding that there isn't as many options as there would be for two/three bedroom apartments.

GavinFlud wrote: »
    Ultimately, we're just looking for a nice apartment in the city centre, preferably in a nice enough location and within walking distance of some decent nightlife spots. Since there is four of us, I'm finding that there isn't as many options as there would be for two/three bedroom apartments.

Thought about a house share?

D1 and D2 are certainly central but D7/8 are walking distance to the City Centre too. You've you're choice of nightlife spots in Dublin City all within walking distance of one another.

House in Drumcondra http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1343435

House on the NCR 6 Bed http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1340464

Thought about a house share?

D1 and D2 are certainly central but D7/8 are walking distance to the City Centre too. You've you're choice of nightlife spots in Dublin City all within walking distance of one another.

House in Drumcondra http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1343435

Yeah, that's what I was looking to do beforehand, but since there's quite a few of us starting at the same time and all looking for places in the city, we decided it might be more convenient to rent a place together.

I'll have a look at places in D7 and D8 though and see if there are any decent options there, since I've gotten a few differing opinions on the area around The Steelworks.

Yeah, that's what I was looking to do beforehand, but since there's quite a few of us starting at the same time and all looking for places in the city, we decided it might be more convenient to rent a place together.

I'll have a look at places in D7 and D8 though and see if there are any decent options there, since I've gotten a few differing opinions on the area around The Steelworks.

I suppose bear in mind apartments are always a bit more secure and if there are three or four of you coming and going the local feral kids are likely to give you less hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Have you considered somewhere like capel street. Although its Dublin 1 it's practically Dublin 2. All the shady businesses are pretty much gone and there is a lot of renovated apartments over shops. What part of the city are you working in?

hfallada wrote: »
    Have you considered somewhere like capel street. Although its Dublin 1 it's practically Dublin 2. All the shady businesses are pretty much gone and there is a lot of renovated apartments over shops. What part of the city are you working in?

I'm open to anywhere in the city centre, so long as it's within walking distance of O'Connell street. I'm not actually working in the city. The job is in Blanchardstown but there is a private shuttle bus that runs from O'Connell St. to the corporate park every morning and evening. We're definitely fully-set on living in the city, since there's a lot more to do, both during the day and at night.

You'd get a 4 bed detached house out in D15 for what you'll pay for a medicore apartment in D1/2. Nitelink service back to Blanch is pretty good and even in a Taxi it wouldn't be too bad.

Are you planning on partying that much that a 30 minute bus ride is out of the question? If so good man! :D

You really want to look D1/2 and D7 then. In D7 you'll be looking at Smithfield, Stoneybatter (perhaps). Does the shuttle stop anywhere else? It'll probably drive up through Smithfield/Stoneybatter on it's way out to Blanchardstown. I don't think they'll be anything big enough in the D8 area that would still be considered City Centre. Maybe in Christchurch.

+1 on Capel street if you can find anything big enough.

You'd get a 4 bed detached house out in D15 for what you'll pay for a medicore apartment in D1/2. Nitelink service back to Blanch is pretty good and even in a Taxi it wouldn't be too bad.

Are you planning on partying that much that a 30 minute bus ride is out of the question? If so good man! :D

You really want to look D1/2 and D7 then. In D7 you'll be looking at Smithfield, Stoneybatter (perhaps). Does the shuttle stop anywhere else? It'll probably drive up through Smithfield/Stoneybatter on it's way out to Blanchardstown. I don't think they'll be anything big enough in the D8 area that would still be considered City Centre. Maybe in Christchurch.

+1 on Capel street if you can find anything big enough.

Blanch is not really an option, since we're more-or-less set on moving into the city. We're all in our young-to-mid twenties so, between the nightlife and the shuttle bus, the city centre seems much more suitable. Don't worry, not that much partying is planned, but it's nice to have the option of a decent pub/nightclub near your doorstep. ;)

I've been looking at Smithfield too, though we've made it awkward for ourselves by having 4 people teaming up, when most places are 2/3 bedrooms. The shuttle goes through there too though so it's definitely an option.

Cheers for the help though!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Since there is four of us, I'm finding that there isn't as many options as there would be for two/three bedroom apartments.
    Ensure you set the 3 bed as min, not max, as you get some gems with 5 beds.

Also, what's your budget?

=-=

Check if the shuttlebus picks people up from busstop at Drumcondra where the trainstation is, as it's probably on it's route to Blanchardstown. I say this as you can get some good houses in Drumcondra for a decent price, and it's near to pubs and shops. Also not far from the city centre. Several buses go from hear into O'Connell Street, and it's not a bad area (from what people have told me). Just don't look at houses east of the N1, as the area gets messy if there's any games or concerts on in Croke Park.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Ensure you set the 3 bed as min, not max, as you get some gems with 5 beds.

Also, what's your budget?

Thanks, I've set the range from 3 to 5 bedrooms, there just doesn't seem to be too many options at the moment (though there's still a few nice ones). As for our budget, probably around €500 per person, so in and around €2,000 for four people.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

I'm wondering how good the area is. Is it known for any trouble (besides the usual trouble you would get in any city)?
    It's known for being right next to Marlborough Street which is junkie central.

Personally I wouldn't have any problems living there but if you're of a nervous disposition you might want to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

The area is a total kip. There are a few threads on here asking about the same complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

irishguy wrote: »
    The area is a total kip. There are a few threads on here asking about the same complex.

At last someone gives a straight answer. The Steelworks is in the heart of ghetto central. Just walk down Talbot St alone late at night and see what you think. Spunkers, druggies, general scum waiting for buses. Imagine if you have a few pints on board and you are walking home alone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I know quite a few people who worked around Foley St, and while most didn't ever have a problem walking to/from work, quite a few of the girls got hassle when leaving work late (around 7 or 8pm).

The apartments are probably nice, but the area isn't, so I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

IFSC (although pretty quite) is an option, as is Smithfield (which has a bit of a dodgey rep but isn't nearly as bad as Foley St). In Smithfield you're pretty close to all amenities, and have a good transport network on your doorstep. You also have a lot of options for food shopping, which you don't have down at the IFSC. There are also a few apartment blocks down along the quays, which could be a possibility, and, as already suggested, take a look at Christchurch area.

Depending on where you're working, Clontarf could also be an option. It's about 10 mins from town on the (very frequent) bus, and about 10 quid in a taxi at night. Some nice apartment blocks around, and rent isn't that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

+1 on avoiding Foley Street like the plague, a mate had a knife pulled on him there last year.

OP I'd say avoid 2 bed apartments if you can, especially with 4 of you, it'll be too much like cabin fever after a while. A decent 4 bed house would suit and €2k a month should get you something really nice. You could also keep in mind penthouses around the city- some of them have 3 bedrooms and sometimes a decent sized roof terrace to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EmuD

Ok, I have to comment on here as I've lived in the Steelworks on Foley St for a few years (female). Yes there are a few issues with brats around the area, however, it is city centre and I have seen the same carry on around Grafton St, St.Stephen's Green and Sth William St (infact I actually think that St.Stephen's Green during the summer is worse).
    A couple of friends live over in Grand Canal area and I have worked around there and have seen the same issues (it is just off Pearse St remember so there are plenty of brats there too, it is a bigger area of new builds but same problems exist, possibly a little more hidden but it is a bigger area).
    At the moment, no matter where you go in the city centre you need to be mindful, regardless of the time of day or night and from a location point of view for access to Dublin amenities it is fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭teecee74

Hi

I live near the Steelworks so am familiar with the area. I've walked home at all hours (female) without any hassle but I'm always looking over my shoulder just in case but that's just being sensible. There's a methadone clinic further along Amiens Street which is well run but by it's nature it has a dodgy clientele and that in turns attracts other dodgy characters. I'm happy enough living in the are as it's so convenient. There are anti-social elements everywhere in the city centre. Remember last summer when 100s of kids were hanging out at Grand Canal, drinking, fighting and pushing each other into the canal.

The pluses for me are:
    Being able to walk eveywhere
    Never being stuck for a taxi (no matter where you go out you're almost always in walking distance of home and getting a taxi on Amiens St takes about 5 seconds 24/7).
    The Brew Dock beside Bus Aras is a really good spot - same crowd that run the Black Sheep on Capel St. The Harbourmaster has nice food, can be quiet at weekends. Ely at CHQ is lovely though not as busy as the Ely in Grand Canal.
    There's a terrific SuperValu about 2 seconds walk from Foley St, there's also a Dunnes, a Tesco and FX Buckleys all along Talbot St so very easy to do your shopping without needing a car. There's Aldi and Lidl on Parnell St though if you have a car, Aldi on East Wall Road is the handiest as there's parking.
    DanceIreland on Foley Street has yoga classes, pilates, tango, ballroom etc classes, the Dublin Buddhist Centre is also just around the corner for meditation etc. So if you want to try something differnt it'll only involve a 2/3 minute walk.
    Cineworld have a 20.99 monthly membership - very handy and just 10 minutes walk away. The Odeon in the Point Willage also has good deals.
    There's a City Bikes point in front of SuperValue - dead handy if you're living in the Steelworks.
    If there's ever heavy snow again, the city centre is the place to be as the roads are cleared and you can get to trains and darts which still tend to run. Also, during power cuts/water off, the city centre tends to be less affected.

The minuses are:
    The junkies, the people who go around the corners to urinate, rubbish, noise, pick pockets, break-ins. It can get a bit draining - especially on Tablet St but I've never been hassled directly. I wouldn't use an ATM on the street though - there's one inside SuperValu and that's safer.

I have friends living in bigger places for the same money but well out of town, it takes them 40 minutes on the bus with light traffic for them to come into town and an expensive taxi home so they are less up for doing something on the spur of the moment unlike my friends living in the city centre. Even with the out-of-towners have had issues with break-ins , car parks being broken into and cars set alight, kids joyriding on the quiet roads around them. On the plus side they don't feel like they are living in an episode of the Wire with dealers on the corners and I know that they would never consider living where I live even though once inside my house is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EmuD

Thanks @teecee74 for posting that, it is probably the best and most thorough description on here about what it is actually like living around the Foley St area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Lived in the steelworks myself renting with another guy and girl. Was 26-27, honest advice avoid it seriously.

It is not a nice area of dublin at all and even a trip down to the supervalu next door youl spot about 3-4 scumbags hanging around bumming money off people. It was a lovely apt but a horrible area, the worst i have lived around dublin. As many posters have shed light , do you really want to living near a meth clinic. Street is lined with dodgy bars and dingy takeaways and 2e shops. I had a year lease and moved out after 4 months it was that bad.

Moved in with afew friends up the road in Drumcondra, really well serviced by dart and buses into city centre. just so much better than the area around steelworks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You really wouldn't want to mind avoiding scumbags...

I did some work for a client on Foley Street and they had notices all over the offices about not using your phone outside, watching your laptop case, making sure you locked your laptop to your desk etc. Might be fine to live there if you're a 6 foot plus, well built guy with an intimidating nature but otherwise I'd avoid it. Far nicer areas in or close to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

I lived in Liberty Corner on Foley St. Nice top floor apartment, well built etc.

But literally had to step over junkies in the stairwell. Needles, blood, vomit and sometimes faeces in the lift.

It was horrible. Lasted two years. Not worth it.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

EmuD wrote: »
    Ok, I have to comment on here as I've lived in the Steelworks on Foley St for a few years (female). Yes there are a few issues with brats around the area, however, it is city centre and I have seen the same carry on around Grafton St, St.Stephen's Green and Sth William St (infact I actually think that St.Stephen's Green during the summer is worse).
    A couple of friends live over in Grand Canal area and I have worked around there and have seen the same issues (it is just off Pearse St remember so there are plenty of brats there too, it is a bigger area of new builds but same problems exist, possibly a little more hidden but it is a bigger area).
    At the moment, no matter where you go in the city centre you need to be mindful, regardless of the time of day or night and from a location point of view for access to Dublin amenities it is fantastic.

You do realise that the OP started this thread well over a year ago, I'm sure they have already found somewhere to live in Dublin.

Please don't resurrect old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement