Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I even bother going to P2 exam??

Options
  • 09-06-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I've had a lot of stuff going on this year and have not been able to give P2 the proper attention at all (major stressful carry on in work) and I'm on 'study leave' right now. The exam is on Tues and I literally haven't a hope of even doing ok in the paper and the thoughts of sitting there for the full 3 hours doing nothing is torture...will I still go along and attempt it?

I've been trying to cram this week but I have a terrible mental block and no concentration.

Theres nothing worse than sitting in an exam hall with nothing to write. I haven't done it in many years but I've seen others sit there bored for the 3 hours and it looked painful :(

Advice pls....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

give it a go sure. I all but gave up on P4 at christmas last, doing nothing for the last 4 weeks. Certain I was going to fail but came out with 60+ and a pass :)
    You never know

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I think you should definitely go and do it. Particularly as its P2. There are "easy marks" available in P2 that you could pick up quite easily with a bit of thinking through, and you'd also be surprised at what you would have picked up during your study without even realising. You only need to get half the paper right, and once you make a good stab at the consolidation question you may not be that far from that target.

Just make sure though when you're writing out the answers that you present everything as neatly as possible. This always helps to get the examiner on your side early on when he's correcting your script.

Tbh, I'm kinda in the same boat as you! I'm sitting P2 aswell, along with P1 & P3!!! TBH though, I think I'm after putting way too much pressure on myself and I can see myself caving completely and failing them all!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

Wilberto wrote: »
    I think you should definitely go and do it. Particularly as its P2. There are "easy marks" available in P2 that you could pick up quite easily with a bit of thinking through, and you'd also be surprised at what you would have picked up during your study without even realising. You only need to get half the paper right, and once you make a good stab at the consolidation question you may not be that far from that target.

Just make sure though when you're writing out the answers that you present everything as neatly as possible. This always helps to get the examiner on your side early on when he's correcting your script.

Tbh, I'm kinda in the same boat as you! I'm sitting P2 aswell, along with P1 & P3!!! TBH though, I think I'm after putting way too much pressure on myself and I can see myself caving completely and failing them all!!!!

Wow Wilberto !! you have taken on a lot. I passed P1 last sitting and I was a bit ashamed. I only studied the week before and I just concentrated on the Kaplan exam tips and internal controls and I couldn't believe that I passed it. I think I ranted on quite a bit about the lack of internal controls and the marker must have liked this ! Also I'd say I got good presentation points too as I'd have decent command of the English language for question one y'know. If you need the kaplan exam tips for P1 let me know and I'll get them for you. they worked great for me ;)

My head seems to be in a better place today so I'm actually getting some stuff done and the concentration is better so I'll take the good advice here and just go to croker for the exam.

Seriously good luck to you for the next 3 days (you poor thing, thats way too much :eek:) and let me know if you need those kaplan tips.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Naw it's ok. I actually got them off someone else when I told them I was doing the exam!!

TBH, if I pass two I'll be happy. And being even more honest, I'm not holding out much hope for P3!!

Anyway, best of luck on Tuesday, and remember, pick up the easy marks that are on offer!!

Could you please give me a few tips on those easy marks? You probably know an awful lot more than me!! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

I would go. You never know what is on the paper. You can leave early if you wish.

I would not like to be explaining to your employer why you were a no show at the exams if they paid your fees.

Dbran

Lucyx wrote: »
    Could you please give me a few tips on those easy marks? You probably know an awful lot more than me!! Thanks

Era I just mean that, if the past exam questions are anything to go by, there are always bits to each question that are relatively straight forward. Also, because each question is broken down into so many parts, some of them are going to be on topics that you would be comfortable with. These are the easy marks that lay the foundation for a pass. You won't pass on them alone, but they will go a long way to achieving that.

Having said that though, this is mostly concerned with Q1 and not too much with the others because of the discussion element required. There are still some straight forward bits in there to though, but the bulk of the marks are for discussion.

The worst thing that you could do is get stuck trying to work out a difficult part, instead just move onto the next piece. Chances are you're not going to get it 100% right because I'm not sure anyone does!

And I wouldn't worry too much about failing. I mean yeah, it's pretty disheartening but I think it would be 10 time worse to not do it and then think to yourself "What if?".

Hey Wilberto

Hows the exams going?

Very glad my one exam is done now. Actually wasn't too bad. Pity I didn't study for it. I only answered question 1 and 4....sure we'll see how that goes :rolleyes:

Yeah today's wasn't too bad!! Spent a bit too much time trying to get my head around the Change in group structure. I don't know if it was the way it was phrased or what but it just took a while for me to recognise what was going on!! I barely even looked at question 4. I did 2 and 3 instead, and I think the vast majority of people in our exam centre did the same!! I got stuck for time aswell towards the end, as expected!

Overall, if I did pass it, it certainly won't be by that much!!!

I bet a load of people were shocked that he examined yet another SOFP though!! How many is that on the trot??!!!

P3 yesterday though was a bit of a disaster!! But at least I wasn't the only one who thought that!!!

P1 tomorrow now and I'm done, thankfully, because I'm in dire need of a rest!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

5 SOFPs on the trot now! Everyone I know was expecting cashflow! It was a tough Q1, especially the change in group structure. Q2 and Q3 thankfully were more straightforward and similar to previous year's questions and in usual style of examiner. Didn't look at Q4, I always find it hard to answer essay style questions! Usually end up going off topic and going off on tangents! P3 yesterday was very long, Q1 was especially tough. Other questions were fine. Hopefully P1 tomorrow will be nice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement