Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crutches Help

Options
  • 08-06-2013 4:18pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I broke my ankle last January. Apart from a three week period, I've been on crutches permanently since then. My hands are suffering, they're constantly blistered and sore. I've tried hurley grips, socks, insulation piping around the handles of the crutches but to no avail. Has anyone in this forum any idea of what else I could use to try protect my hands?

As a side note, am I eligible for any supports because of this? I'm spending more money on buses, transport, etc. than I would have otherwise. I can't even cook anymore because I can't stand for long enough! Or is it a case of going to my CWO and hoping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cjb1a

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Hi,

I broke my ankle last January. Apart from a three week period, I've been on crutches permanently since then. My hands are suffering, they're constantly blistered and sore. I've tried hurley grips, socks, insulation piping around the handles of the crutches but to no avail. Has anyone in this forum any idea of what else I could use to try protect my hands?

As a side note, am I eligible for any supports because of this? I'm spending more money on buses, transport, etc. than I would have otherwise. I can't even cook anymore because I can't stand for long enough! Or is it a case of going to my CWO and hoping?

I have a great solution for you. I ruptured my AT and had enough of crutches after 3 days. I bought the iWALK Free alternative crutch and my life went back to normal instantly. You can use both hands while you 'walk'. I have mine for sale as I do not need it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cjb1a

I have a great solution for you. I ruptured my AT and had enough of crutches after 3 days. I bought the iWALK Free alternative crutch and my life went back to normal instantly. You can use both hands while you 'walk'. I have mine for sale as I do not need it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

What medical services are you in contact with? Perhaps your physio or OT might be able to advise on alternatives or ways to address the problems you're having.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

What about these fingerless gloves. I use a wheelchair a lot and got these to protect my hands and find them great. They are cheap and they might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭tomirs

I use pipe lagging , available in your local hardware supple shop , long lasting and saves the hands :) I have been on crutches for 18yrs and find its great and cheaper than buy crutch cuffs :)
    Pipe-Lagging.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement