Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Neighbour has his work van registered to my address

Options
  • 08-06-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Hi,

not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I'm looking for some advice on this situation.

A neighbour has his work van registered to my address and I'm not sure what I can do.

I've been getting all his Eflow, tax, ect. letters for the past few weeks. About five to ten letters a week.

Rang Eflow and the gardai, they said there's little they could do.

But this guy hasn't paid his toll tags since he got the van.

anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Send everything back to sender with his correct address on them.

Dud he do it on purpose to avoid fines etc etc or was it a mistake?

Have you said it to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

I'd have thought that this is an offence, but I don't know for absolute sure. (Hard to imagine how it's not though!)

Do you know him well? If not, I wouldn't make an issue of it , in case it turns unseemly.

I'd pop them back in the postbox marked "NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS".

Not your business - and if the bailiffs arrive at your door, you can truthfully claim it's nothing to do with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Similar thing happened to me except I was the vehicle owner and they had my details completely wrong.
    Motor reg office may have made a mistake when putting his details on their system.
    Did you ever receive his van registration book by mistake.
    Go to the van owner and give him all the post / fines, its most likely a clerical error which he needs to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

He or someone in his job has made an error and no more - almost certainly. If he wanted to avoid letters he would have given an address miles away not next door!
    By the sound of things you have kept his post and possibly opened it. Either way you are committing an offence . Rather than put stuff on boards tell the guy and give him back his property!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Most likely he will thank you for dropping the post over and for bringing it to his attention, as the fines can ramp up very very quickly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Ah here, just talk to him for gods sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Just for interest sake, what house numbers do both of you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

It's amazing how quickly people can turn a topic back around on an OP.

Post them back to sender or tell your neighbour to politely correct the addressing problem. If it continues collect a few and post them back in an A4 envelope with a letter stating the correct address that should be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Cheers for the replies.

I have had a feeling its not a mistake, as this lad/family cause all sorts of hassle on my road. But it could all just be an honest mistake.

I haven't opened the post, just saw the eflow address on the letter, handed in the post to the garda station.

In normal circumstances I'd simply call over and drop the post in but this neighbour in particular has a reputation for causing trouble.

I've sent the recent one's back with "not known at this address" on it, would it be better to put his address on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Bobby42 wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies.

I have had a feeling its not a mistake, as this lad/family cause all sorts of hassle on my road. But it could all just be an honest mistake.

I haven't opened the post, just saw the eflow address on the letter, handed in the post to the garda station.

In normal circumstances I'd simply call over and drop the post in but this neighbour in particular has a reputation for causing trouble.

I've sent the recent one's back with "not known at this address" on it, would it be better to put his address on it?

If you want a way to cause bad feeling with a neighbour you found it - whether they are troublemakers or not . If you kept my post on me knowing where I lived I'd be furious! Are you really telling me you couldn't have dropped it round early in the morning or late at night- just through their letterbox ??

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Just get the postman to deliver them to his address in future and give him back others too to post..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some people go to to avoid the obvious and simple solution of just talking to their neighbours. In this case there was no conversation even required; just pop over and push the mail through the letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

desbrook wrote: »
    If you want a way to cause bad feeling with a neighbour you found it - whether they are troublemakers or not . If you kept my post on me knowing where I lived I'd be furious! Are you really telling me you couldn't have dropped it round early in the morning or late at night- just through their letterbox ??
    djimi wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some people go to to avoid the obvious and simple solution of just talking to their neighbours. In this case there was no conversation even required; just pop over and push the mail through the letterbox.
    It's entirely unnecessary, and the OP has already indicated that they're not comfortable doing it. All they need to do is mark them 'not known at this address' and drop them in a postbox .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's entirely unnecessary, and the OP has already indicated that they're not comfortable doing it. All they need to do is mark them 'not known at this address' and drop them in a postbox .

It is entirely unnecessary but that doesn't make any less the neighbourly, correct and even logical thing to do. This is exactly whats wrong with communities these days, far easier to post his problem away (be it in the internet or in the actual mail).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Troublemaker "forgot" where he lived @ gave wrong address. So no search against his old name. & address will home up when renewing insurance/tax etc. & he dosn't get his bills.

Hmmm.

I'd register aether to his correct address & enclose old bills -saying his car /whatever is incorrectly registered to your address & ask him to ensure that he notifies them to give the correct address without further delay/immediately.

Copy. & write to the toll people& let them know too.

Keep a copy of both letters & return the rest to sender as they come in . As you have notified both parties & done your duty your part is done.

Let them fight it out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Matt Simis wrote: »
    It is entirely unnecessary but that doesn't make any less the neighbourly, correct and even logical thing to do. This is exactly whats wrong with communities these days, far easier to post his problem away (be it in the internet or in the actual mail).
    That's a good general point, but in this case the OP feels uncomfortable with it. I can imagine a situation where i'd feel the same way, and i'm sure you can too.

Advertisement