Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.4 golf to ????

Options
  • 08-06-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

hi all we have just had our first child and are thinking of changing to a saloon. currently driving a 05 petrol golf with 105k on it.what would you consider our present car worth. would have round 3k to put wit golf. half thinkin passat but dont really know.thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

How much your Golf is worth will vary massively depending on several factors:

Spec?
    Mileage?
    Tax/test?
    Service history?
    Condition?

Are you looking to sell privately trade it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

To be honest, I think saloons are worse than useless if you have a baby. My wife has a 5 door Civic and it beats my Accord hands down for kids stuff. Access is much better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Golf plus?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Get an estate car. Golf or Passat. 1.6l diesel for the Golf or 1.9l or 2.0l diesel for the Passat.

You could move house in the Passat Estate. I brought my Ikea kitchen from Belfast in mine. Great car (with some reservations), but diesel.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭j timber

the golf is a basic model wit a vw service history.has 105km and was tested in may. i dont know about an estate,cant imagine my wife drivin one.as for diesel the price is usually higher than a petrol model. is done deal best option for private or would i b better trading in wit a garage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

OSI wrote: »
    Tell you what, take your buggy, baby bag and other paraphernalia to a garage, and get your wife to put it all in the boot of a saloon, and then the boot of estate, and then ask her which she'd rather do at the end of a shop in the pouring rain with the baby screaming and she'll soon lose whatever ridiculous fashion notions she has about an estate.

+1. Top idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Golf R32 ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The price depends on the year. Post July 2008, cars pay VRT and roadtax based on fuel consumption. Diesels cost less to run and less to tax because of this. 60 mpg is common with this class of car, with €200 or so road tax.

The estate versions are the same size as the saloon or hatchback - give or take.

Modern cars have iso-fix for child seats and make it simple to put them in or take them out.

As previous posters have said, take all your stuff down to the garage and try loading it into the car/estate. The back window of an estate is the back of the car for parking.

Get electric windows so kids cannot open them at the back (because they can be disabled by the driver).

Edit: By the way, you can check the value the revenue put on your car by using the vrt.ie web site. Feed in the details of your car and they will tell you what they think the on-market price is.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get an estate car. Golf or Passat. 1.6l diesel for the Golf or 1.9l or 2.0l diesel for the Passat.

You could move house in the Passat Estate. I brought my Ikea kitchen from Belfast in mine. Great car (with some reservations), but diesel.:)

Isn't an estate a little overkill for just one child?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

bazz26 wrote: »

Better to have too much space than too little though?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the standard Golf is not enough for the OP, then an estate is next up. More room inside with no extra length or cost (sort of).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

166man wrote: »
    Better to have too much space than too little though?

That's a personal choice for the OP to decide rather than a necessity though.
    If the standard Golf is not enough for the OP, then an estate is next up. More room inside with no extra length or cost (sort of).

Nope. The next logical size up would be a large saloon or hatchback like a Mondeo, Avensis or similar. We have one child and have managed over the years with large family saloons with split folding rear seats. The boot in a hatchback Mondeo for example will easily swallow a buggy and baby travel bag no problem. If the OP fancies an estate than that's a different matter but one child doesn't necessitate an estate car anymore than it would necessitate a SUV imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Haha, here is our kitchen from Ikea Belfast brought home in an estate car. Not sure what was the weight of the stuff, but surely over half a ton.
    Love estates, especially with self leveling rear axle :).

4601421843_a3d4dd4469_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Golf R32 ;)
    It's the next logical step ;)

Seweryn wrote: »
    Haha, here is our kitchen from Ikea Belfast brought home in an estate car. Not sure what was the weight of the stuff, but surely over half a ton.
    Love estates, especially with self leveling rear axle :).

4601421843_a3d4dd4469_z.jpg

Yea, that is about right. It managed fine. Did not bring any appliances mind but made two trips because we needed more than we bought first time. The Dublin shop had not opened at the time so we had to go to Belfast.

The current Passat does not come in a hatch-back (although my first Passat was a hatch-back). Estates are fantastic for moving stuff about and good ones convert very easily to take loads. Otherwise, not much different to drive than a saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

To be honest, I think saloons are worse than useless if you have a baby. My wife has a 5 door Civic and it beats my Accord hands down for kids stuff. Access is much better too.

Boot opening and rear door opening are all that matter. (stowing buggy / inserting baby)

We had a 2005 Volvo s40. It sucked and was cramped. All other saloons we have used have done baby duties really well.

However, a hatchback is great for all the "buying bulky cr@p" trips that go with domestic bliss.

Saloons are a great way of getting a lot of car for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Boot opening and rear door opening are all that matter. (stowing buggy / inserting baby)

We had a 2005 Volvo s40. It sucked and was cramped. All other saloons we have used have done baby duties really well.

However, a hatchback is great for all the "buying bulky cr@p" trips that go with domestic bliss.

Saloons are a great way of getting a lot of car for the money.

To be fair as well, the Civic hatch is very well designed in terms of access and space. The rear doors open to almost 90 degrees so its very easy to put in a child. On the Accord I end up with my head above the roof but the Civic is easy to get head and all underneath the roof.....

Advertisement