Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

123.ie

Options
  • 08-06-2013 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

hey my insurance is up for renewal.

123 have given me a good quote

just wondering do they ask for nct disk to be sent in as currently my nct is out, iv it booked but its a few weeks away.

can anyone with 123 confirm if they do or dont?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't remember then asking for mine

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Didn't ask for mine op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

It's a requirement On my policy with them but they didn't ask for a copy of it

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Yeah, i read their poilcy documents, im sure its required by them all. Thanks for letting me know. Also did yous have nct at the time? I assume they can check?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

They didn't ask for mine but mine wasn't out.

When I was renewing they were just over half the nearest quote I could get anywhere

• Advertisement

They didn't ask for mine but mine wasn't out.

When I was renewing they were just over half the nearest quote I could get anywhere

Yeah im getting a very good quote for me and the gf, easily 600-800, cheaper than the next best, its a 1.6 ptrl and wer both under 25

lankz92 wrote: »
    Yeah im getting a very good quote for me and the gf, easily 600-800, cheaper than the next best, its a 1.6 ptrl and wer both under 25

Focus 2.5 liberty wanted 1100 first 29 no points 5 years no claims and alarm+immobilizer then after some to and fro said the could make an exception as I was with them 6 years for 870 euros.

123.is 530 full comp no claims protection
    With full legal cover. I hear they will ride you for any changes to your policy however

I rang them there just to see what theyd say, and was told they wouldnt cover me without a valid nct, now weather or not theyd check i dont know, iv had this problem b4 and was left with no insurance disk until i produced nct

I'm pretty sure this is a new insurance thing since after christmas

I hear they will ride you for any changes to your policy however

IIRC it's €40 to do any changes. Suits me as I don't plan on doing any changes and keeps the quote cheap.
    I rang them there just to see what theyd say, and was told they wouldnt cover me without a valid nct, now weather or not theyd check i dont know, iv had this problem b4 and was left with no insurance disk until i produced nct

I'd say most companies won't cover without a valid NCT these days, the thing is that most will take your money and then not pay out. At least 123.ie are being honest.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure this is a new insurance thing since after christmas

They done the same on me last year, just happens to be the time my nct does be due. Maybe theve started to enforce it more

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They don't need to check, when taking out an insurance policy it is based on full disclosure by the person who is taking it out. Not disclosing accurate information could mean you are in trouble in the event a claim is made against your policy.

If you have an accident and a third party makes a claim off your own policy and it then transpires that your car hasn't a valid NCT, the insurance company may well be within their rights to seek to recover the costs of any third party claim from you. So they may pay out any third party claim on your policy but may chase you then to recover the costs of that claim.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They don't need to check, when taking out an insurance policy it is based on full disclosure by the person who is taking it out. Not disclosing accurate information could mean you are in trouble in the event a claim is made against your policy.

If you have an accident and a third party makes a claim off your own policy and it then transpires that your car hasn't a valid NCT, the insurance company may well be within their rights to seek to recover the costs of any third party claim from you. So they may pay out any third party claim on your policy but may chase you then to recover the costs of that claim.

As far as i know the car has to be checked regardless of nct or not in the event of a claim. So nct or not if it was down to your car being unroadworthy then theyll be after you.

im more so just wondering why they wouldnt allow say 6-8 weeks to get the nct, and if you dont produce it by then theyll cancel it.

Last time i sent proof i had the test booked to the insurance company. Yet still no disk until i sent the passed nct in. But they kept saying i was covered to drive. I just didnt like to think what the guards would say if i was stopped

As far as i know the car has to be checked regardless of nct or not in the event of a claim. So nct or not if it was down to your car being unroadworthy then theyll be after you.

I'd say it's more likely the car will be checked if it has an NCT for it's road worthiness. I'd say they don't bother checking if it doesn't have an NCT as technically a car without an NCT isn't roadworthy.
    im more so just wondering why they wouldnt allow say 6-8 weeks to get the nct, and if you dont produce it by then theyll cancel it.

Last time i sent proof i had the test booked to the insurance company. Yet still no disk until i sent the passed nct in. But they kept saying i was covered to drive. I just didnt like to think what the guards would say if i was stopped

Because your not supposed to be driving without a valid NCT.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd say it's more likely the car will be checked if it has an NCT for it's road worthiness. I'd say they don't bother checking if it doesn't have an NCT as technically a car without an NCT isn't roadworthy.

Because your not supposed to be driving without a valid NCT.

i understand that but surely they could give a bit of time to get it sorted.

the nct doesnt necessairly mean your cars in top condition, could have 4 bald tyres and still have an nct on it,

i think they should allow a few weeks if you produce proof the test is booked

i understand that but surely they could give a bit of time to get it sorted.

the nct doesnt necessairly mean your cars in top condition, could have 4 bald tyres and still have an nct on it,

i think they should allow a few weeks if you produce proof the test is booked

You've upto 3 months before the due date to get it sorted. Giving another few weeks just means that they are allowing you to brake the law.

I 100% agree that a car with an NCT may not be road legal. But until we have another system which verifies the car is 100% legal every time it's used it's the best system we have to keep dangerous cars off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's not in their interest to check. They get your money, and they have a way out if you try to claim - it's win win for them.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You've upto 3 months before the due date to get it sorted. Giving another few weeks just means that they are allowing you to brake the law.

I 100% agree that a car with an NCT may not be road legal. But until we have another system which verifies the car is 100% legal every time it's used it's the best system we have to keep dangerous cars off the road.

theres long waiting lists this time of the year tho.
    what about if youve bought a car with no nct and your waiting.. you dont have the 3 months before hand to do it then...

ill stop argueing. theres good and bad points either way. all systems have flaws.

im just going to ditch my car and buy something cheap with nct so i can get the better quote. its significantly better and worth the hassle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement