Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Friesan x Belgian Blue Heifers

Options
  • 07-06-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Trying to source some BF x BB Heifers in order to breed suckler replacements. Does anybody know where would be bext to source these. Also is there anything I should look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Farm King wrote: »
    Trying to source some BF x BB Heifers in order to breed suckler replacements. Does anybody know where would be bext to source these. Also is there anything I should look out for?

I can help u out there if u want,have a few feb march 2012 heifers about 350 to 380 kg if ur interested

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Farm King

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I can help u out there if u want,have a few feb march 2012 heifers about 350 to 380 kg if ur interested

Would be interested surely - Can you send me on a few pictures? How many have you got & where are you based - I am in county Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

watch out for width in the pins. there is an aweful lot going for that type of cow but you need to watch them at the first calving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

calves anygood:confused:guy from progressive was pushing bb of any dairy cow as she will have the genes to add enough shape ,and its very true blonde holsteins here and they will calve anything, plenty milk, shape in calf, cows looks like a black hols

leg wax wrote: »
    calves anygood:confused:

Would prefer heifers just to get breeding quicker but would not refuse calves either. Price of both will have to be considered. Have you got some calves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Would prefer heifers just to get breeding quicker but would not refuse calves either. Price of both will have to be considered. Have you got some calves?
    got a text yesterday from ibbcs ,bbx calves off dairy herd for sale, please contact pat ,in limerick ,0873273975

leg wax wrote: »
    got a text yesterday from ibbcs ,bbx calves off dairy herd for sale, please contact pat ,in limerick ,0873273975

Thanks - will give him a ring this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

There is a lad outside athlone selling calves brought up from the south. Called in one day on my way from Galway. Everything seemed reasonably priced and of good enough quality. He has adds on done deal every few days and always seems to have blues. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4117404

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

Your better off buying them as 2 year olds. I found that only 1 in 3 of the BB X fr calves are worth keeping for a cow even though they were super calves some of them just don't develop correctly to use for breeding that why your better off buying them at breeding age. Then again a 2 year old BB heifer is going to attract a lot of customers, especially as Butchers heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

when we suckling I tried a few bb heifers off BR fr and MOX cows . I wasn't too impressed. difficult calvings and the calves were more suitable for selling as weanlings than keeping long term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

pakalasa wrote: »
    jeez crossed my legs when i saw them, does anyone actually use them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

whelan1 wrote: »
    jeez crossed my legs when i saw them, does anyone actually use them?
    I've never heard of anyone in Ireland using them, but in the states they seem to use them when selecting heifers for breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Bit late,but yes I use them.

You'd b surprised by some measurements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Had a couple when I started in suckling about 20 years ago. Their descendants are the only ones that ever needed a jack at calving. Ever only had one C section, one of them. If you want to make your life easier, avoid them would be my advice.

Edit; just realised this thread is 10 years old, I reckon OP has made a decision by now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement