Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CD Number Plate.

Options
  • 07-06-2013 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Bit bored on the way home looking out of the window of the bus. Some guy with one of those old 1916 style posters in the passenger seat of an 04-D Merc (might not have bean a Merc but large sedan.). Number plate 04-D-2XXXX but then there was CD in the bottom right-hand corner. Was that an official car of some description?

Also saw 131-D-1. I was very bored. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Yup CD is a diplomat.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 richiebox

It means that it's an embassy car. CD stands for corps diplomatique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Bit bored on the way home looking out of the window of the bus. Some guy with one of those old 1916 style posters in the passenger seat of an 04-D Merc (might not have bean a Merc but large sedan.). Number plate 04-D-2XXXX but then there was CD in the bottom right-hand corner. Was that an official car of some description?

CD means it's someone who works in an embassy / diplomat.
    I think it means they have diplomatic immunity so they are immune from road traffic offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mickyellow

131-D-1 is the Lord Mayor of Dublins car......

I think it means they have diplomatic immunity so they are immune from road traffic offences.

Pretty much. Id give my right arm for a CD plate...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

CD means it's someone who works in an embassy / diplomat.

It has no standing at all in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Rather ordinary looking Volvo? (Lord Mayor's car)

Suppose it makes sense... some function must have been on.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

AGC wrote: »

I think you are wrong.

Semi-NSFW

mickdw wrote: »
    I think you are wrong.

The car is not exempt from anything except tax.

Anyone can put CD on their number plate if they wish, there is no special registration like other countries like in the UK where diplomatic cars have to be bought through diplomatic dealers.

The person may claim immunity as a diplomat but the car wouldn't avoid fines etc...

• Advertisement

The car is not exempt from anything except tax.

Anyone can put CD on their number plate if they wish, there is no special registration like other countries like in the UK where diplomatic cars have to be bought through diplomatic dealers.

The person may claim immunity as a diplomat but the car wouldn't avoid fines etc...

Kinda related but OT - I'm seeing more and more of these Irish number plates in a foreign style, German I think. Are these fooling anyone (by that I mean speed cameras) given the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car.

Kinda related but OT - I'm seeing more and more of these Irish number plates in a foreign style, German I think. Are these fooling anyone (by that I mean speed cameras) given the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car.

No, but they arent really meant to fool anyone. Just an asthetic thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

My understanding is as follows (Just to clarify the source of the following - I've a pal who's a diplomat, and another who's father is a diplomat and I've has this discussion with both of them)

This isn't exactly incorrect but it's poorly phrased

This IS incorrect
    mickdw wrote: »
    I think you are wrong.

You are correct

This is kind of correct.

The CD plate is registered through the vehicle owners embassy - so you certainly cannot just lob "CD" on your plate and expect not to be put through the ringer for it. The only thing that the plate means is that occupants of the vehicle may not be detained and the vehicle may not be seized or searched. Beyond that however nobody is immune from anything!

Any and all fines and points may still be applied to the vehicle operator however it is entirely at the discretion of the embassy (whether their own, or ours, or both I'm not sure) - and only the embassy - with which the vehicle is registered, to revoke the CD plate privilage.

This means that regardless of whether or not the points limit has been reached, or fines remain unpaid, the vehicle and it's occupants still may not be detained and the vehicle may not be seized or searched.

Embassies take a dim view of abuse of the scheme and they hear about any and all incidents involving the plate so the system works just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Had to be a shinner. :eek:

extremetaz wrote: »
    My understanding is as follows (Just to clarify the source of the following - I've a pal who's a diplomat, and another who's father is a diplomat and I've has this discussion with both of them)

This isn't exactly incorrect but it's poorly phrased

This IS incorrect

You are correct

This is kind of correct.

The CD plate is registered through the vehicle owners embassy - so you certainly cannot just lob "CD" on your plate and expect not to be put through the ringer for it. The only thing that the plate means is that occupants of the vehicle may not be detained and the vehicle may not be seized or searched. Beyond that however nobody is immune from anything!

Any and all fines and points may still be applied to the vehicle operator however it is entirely at the discretion of the embassy (whether their own, or ours, or both I'm not sure) - and only the embassy - with which the vehicle is registered, to revoke the CD plate privilage.

This means that regardless of whether or not the points limit has been reached, or fines remain unpaid, the vehicle and it's occupants still may not be detained and the vehicle may not be seized or searched.

Embassies take a dim view of abuse of the scheme and they hear about any and all incidents involving the plate so the system works just fine.

This is my point, it may not have come across well. The car is not exempt from Fines, clamps, speeding etc... It is down to an individual if they wish to pay. The only difference is it is unlikely for them to face further sanction as a diplomat. For example many Embassies in London have massive outstanding congestion charges as they regard it as a tax. Fines and follow up fines are still sent in but remain unpaid.

Having CD on your car here makes it no different to anyone else, it goes through the same registartion as anyone else. In most other countries they have specific number plates for Diplomats.

Advertisement