Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running network to shed

Options
  • 07-06-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.
    I have an office in my shed that I want to add to my network.
    I have tried those network adapters that plug into a socket but the distance is to far to pick up the signal.
    I cant dig up the ground because of tarmacadam.
    I have a stay wire which runs from the shed to the house that used to be used for a tv cable which is being unused at the moment.
    I was thinking of running a cable across that but I was told outdoor cat5 is very expensive €135 I think.
    I have a direct line of sight to the room the router is located in from the office window.
    What are my options?
    Thanks.
    Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Why use out door cat5, just use indoor stuff, never had a problem with normal cat5 used outdoors. All the POE Wifi runs outside I've ever seen are in indoor cat5 and they work OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

eirator wrote: »
    Why use out door cat5, just use indoor stuff, never had a problem with normal cat5 used outdoors. All the POE Wifi runs outside I've ever seen are in indoor cat5 and they work OK.

Would the sunlight( I know it dosnt happen often :rolleyes:) not damage the cable over time?
    I have a box of cat5, I could try running it over and see how it works.
    Is the any other wireless extenders I could use?
    Thanks for the help :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Chris
    Just some suggestions

For wired only option:
    If you have a length of normal cat 5/6 cable then you could just run it on the stay wire - it will eventually have problems due to rain/sun, but it will last a lot longer than you think.
    You could also run it on the ground and protect it by running it through a cheap hose or some qualpex!
    Both options would probably be cheaper than buying external grade cat5/6 cable.

For wireless:
    Have you tried to get a wireless signal in your shed, say using your phone or a laptop.
    What's the signal like? If okay, then maybe use a wireless adaptor on your pc in the office.
    Some routers have better wireless than others - google is your friend to see reviews.
    Also, some routers can be flashed with customised firmware eg: dd-wrt, tomato open-wrt, and depending on the router model there might have extra controls which can be used to boost the wireless signal.

As regards the network adaptors, if they are the power based type, then I don't believe distance is a problem as they use the power circuits to talk to each other, but, if the power circuits are isolated that might cause a problem.

All of the options will cost you, but if you want internet access then is it not a small price to pay?

EDIT: got distracted responding to you
    See you have cable already, so I would just run it, either on the wire, or in a hose if you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Cat 5 is good for a 100m run, and I did a run of full 300m box once just so a client could get an RDP session in a remote part of a warehouse where WiFi would have been too expensive and it worked fine.

I wouldn't use a WiFi extender but I would use a Wifi router or Wifi access point at the house end and a Wifi access point set up as a client at the other plugged into another router (or single PC).

Chris
    Just some suggestions

For wired only option:
    If you have a length of normal cat 5/6 cable then you could just run it on the stay wire - it will eventually have problems due to rain/sun, but it will last a lot longer than you think.
    You could also run it on the ground and protect it by running it through a cheap hose or some qualpex!
    Both options would probably be cheaper than buying external grade cat5/6 cable.

For wireless:
    Have you tried to get a wireless signal in your shed, say using your phone or a laptop.
    What's the signal like? If okay, then maybe use a wireless adaptor on your pc in the office.
    Some routers have better wireless than others - google is your friend to see reviews.
    Also, some routers can be flashed with customised firmware eg: dd-wrt, tomato open-wrt, and depending on the router model there might have extra controls which can be used to boost the wireless signal.

As regards the network adaptors, if they are the power based type, then I don't believe distance is a problem as they use the power circuits to talk to each other, but, if the power circuits are isolated that might cause a problem.

All of the options will cost you, but if you want internet access then is it not a small price to pay?

I have tried to pick up a wireless signal but was only using my phone and laptop, only picking up 1 bar and thats pushing it.
    Im going to run the cable over the stay wire and give it a go, if it works for a couple of months then Ill be happy!
    Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

chrismon wrote: »
    I have tried to pick up a wireless signal but was only using my phone and laptop, only picking up 1 bar and thats pushing it.
    Im going to run the cable over the stay wire and give it a go, if it works for a couple of months then Ill be happy!
    Thanks guys.

Will last longer than a couple of months.
    Use a fresh length of cable off the roll as it should not have any nicks in the outer sheath. Also, just be careful connecting it through the walls at each end so as not to nick the outer sheath or kink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Wi-Fi with a directional or waveguide antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

chrismon wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

If you are running cable like this, don't crimp on plugs and just plug it into PC / router

Reason :
    The individual wires inside the cat5 act like a wick for water ( is a problem if the outer cable sheath gets damaged ). It can travel a surprising distance

http://www.tvtrade.ie/outdoor-cat5-utp-ethernet-cable.html

Thanks for the help guys.
    Install worked out perfect.
    Cheers again.

Advertisement