Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost car key

Options
  • 07-06-2013 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Bit of a problem at work. I’ve lost the key to a Renault Clio (about 10 years old) with central locking. The spare was already lost. A couple of people I’ve spoken to have said the whole locking system would have to be changed. I would’ve thought it’d be possible to just “test” the existing locking system and get a remplacement key made or ordered. Pardon my extreme ignorance on this, but what is the likely solution? I want to get a bit of info before informing my higher ups.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You should be able to get a key cut.
    Is/was there a transponder in the key? If so you may need a dealer, bring the logbook to prove ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

biko wrote: »
    You should be able to get a key cut.
    Is/was there a transponder in the key? If so you may need a dealer, bring the logbook to prove ownership.

Do you mean the thing that allows you to open the car at a distance? (Sorry, I'm hopeless at cars!) If so, yes there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lucena wrote: »
    Do you mean the thing that allows you to open the car at a distance? (Sorry, I'm hopeless at cars!) If so, yes there was.
    The transponder is a tiny chip in the key that unsets the immobiliser. I'd be fairly sure your key has one. Have you rung your local Renault dealer yet? If not then start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

Have you called the insurance? They can open it for you otherwise if you have no keys at all you will have to get a locksmith to open it, get the chassis no. and talk to the dealer. The new key will be about €120 ish. Then it will need programming about another €30. Last time I did this there was a 3 day turnaround for my Astra.

Advertisement