Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus 1.4, Corolla 1.4..or

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Focus and Corolla are 2 very different cars, the choice will probably come down to personal preference, or the cleanest example you can find.

The mk1 Focus is an excellent car, but the 1.4 L engine is weak. Its such a good car to drive it really deserves one of the bigger engines.

The Corolla is solid but ever so dull. If you must have a 1.4 then the Toyota engine is the better one.

Honda Civic from that era is also very sound, but maybe difficult to find a genuine one at this stage.

Bear in mind that for a car of this age reliability will depend more on the condition and how well it has been maintained over the years than it will on the make/model.

Suzuki Jimny? No, just no. But that's just my opinion, they're probably grand if you like that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'd go for the 1.6 in the Focus, the 1.4 is gutless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

would you not just get the 1.6 focus? i'd say fuel economy will be very similar to the 1.4 and tax is only an extra €100 ish over a year, which is not much.

personally i'd rather the focus, a lot of those corollas you linked are basic spec models which really aren't that nice and are dare i say a little overpriced.

edit : also looking at corollas you are better off going for the 97-99 model with the circular headlights than the 00-01 model with the square lamps, the 1.3 in the older versions is a bit better than the 1.4 vvti in the newer cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Anjobe wrote: »

The mk1 Focus is an excellent car, but the 1.4 L engine is weak. Its such a good car to drive it really deserves one of the bigger engines.

The Corolla is solid but ever so dull. If you must have a 1.4 then the Toyota engine is the better one.

Honda Civic from that era is also very sound, but maybe difficult to find a genuine one at this stage.

I had a Honda Civic years ago an I know from experience most of the had a hard life.

Suzuki Jimny? No, just no. But that's just my opinion, they're probably grand if you like that sort of thing.
    They're a horrible looking machine allright but I guess they have their own following and it would be handy for nipping around the farm at home..If I knew no one would see me in it I'd have one.
    would you not just get the 1.6 focus? i'd say fuel economy will be very similar to the 1.4 and tax is only an extra €100 ish over a year, which is not much.

You are probably right the Focus would be a fairly reliable car a few family members have them. 1.4 versions though. They never gave trouble apart from an odd bushing and coil packs.
    Would the 1.6 version have an other issues. I'm guessing it's not as popular second hand...a possible bargaining point:D

Apart from the front bumper what differences are there say between a Mk1 and a Mk1.5 3dr 1.6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

eire-kp wrote: »
    Apart from the front bumper what differences are there say between a Mk1 and a Mk1.5 3dr 1.6?

Different front light cluster and better spec as standard on 04 models anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me...just get the Ghia model from the Mk1 range and a set of headlights from the facelift will fit straight on.
    I think you can get clear lenses for the older front indicators so could convert them to DRL's, or just leave them unused.

If anyone has a 02-03 Ford Focus 1.4 or 1.6 3dr for sale feel free to pm me. If this isn't allowed sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

Corolla hands down, the Focus can be problematic whereas the older Toyota engines are built to last. Also the Focus feel cheap IMO.

BE EXTREMELY careful buying from donedeal their is a lot of con artists on it at the moment, make sure you go with someone who is mechanicaly savvy or pay a local garage to check it for you. If he doesnt agree, walk away. I got burned a few times, I know what im talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

would you not just get the 1.6 focus? i'd say fuel economy will be very similar to the 1.4 and tax is only an extra €100 ish over a year, which is not much

I had a mate who had the 1.4 focus and it was so slow it wasnt funny, You really felt how gutless the engine was when trying to move off from traffic lights..

I have the 1.6 focus and have to say it's a much better car with the bigger engine and believe it or not they are decent of petrol.. It worth paying the extra tax :D:D I can't exacly remember what milage I get out of a tenner but it certainly seems to last me a good while and I do a lot of driving..

holdmybeer wrote: »
    Corolla hands down, the Focus can be problematic whereas the older Toyota engines are built to last. Also the Focus feel cheap IMO.

I agree that the corolla might be a better drive but very dull altogether, I feel the focus has a more modern interior and looks a whole lot better on the outside to. I don't really agree that the focus feels cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

holdmybeer wrote: »
    Corolla hands down, the Focus can be problematic whereas the older Toyota engines are built to last. Also the Focus feel cheap IMO. [/B]

BE EXTREMELY careful buying from donedeal their is a lot of con artists on it at the moment, make sure you go with someone who is mechanicaly savvy or pay a local garage to check it for you. If he doesnt agree, walk away. I got burned a few times, I know what im talking about.

Are you for real here?

The Focus is better in every way. The Corolla is a domestic appliance, and nothing more. Danger of falling asleep at the wheel, they're so boring.

How is the Focus "problematic"? Had one for 6 years. Best car I ever had. My friends and cousins also had em' and nothing but praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Are you for real here?

The Focus is better in every way. The Corolla is a domestic appliance, and nothing more. Danger of falling asleep at the wheel, they're so boring.

How is the Focus "problematic"? Had one for 6 years. Best car I ever had. My friends and cousins also had em' and nothing but praise.
    The focus are thirsty on both petrol and diesel. Never had one but I am reviewing both cars at the moment and that is what shows up. How's your focus on fuel?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The focus are thirsty on both petrol and diesel. Never had one but I am reviewing both cars at the moment and that is what shows up. How's your focus on fuel?

Anyone i'v know who has had the 1.4 and 1.6 have said they are great on petrol.. Can't comment on the diesel..

carzony wrote: »
    Anyone i'v know who has had the 1.4 and 1.6 have said they are great on petrol.. Can't comment on the diesel..
    What's the mpg or l/100km like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

My focus 1.6 diesel does 53mpg I don't know how you consider that thirsty. I think it's fairly good for a 07 car.

What's the mpg or l/100km like?

AS I said in my original post I don't have the exact figure, I did test what milage I got out of a tenner but I can't remember the exact figure as I tested it best part of a year ago. All I can tell you is my 1.6 is grand on petrol I certaintly wouldnt call them heavy..

Bpmull wrote: »
    My focus 1.6 diesel does 53mpg I don't know how you consider that thirsty. I think it's fairly good for a 07 car.
    I didn't say it was thirsty I did say the reviews I've done on the focus say they are heavy on fuel.

I didn't say it was thirsty I did say the reviews I've done on the focus say they are heavy on fuel.

I bought a 99 1.4 civic last year, All the reviews said they were heavy on petrol, I bought it and I think I was getting somthing like 65 kilometres out of a tenners petrol which I thought was good? considering I threw it around most of the time :p

I bought a 99 1.4 civic last year, All the reviews said they were heavy on petrol, I bought it and I think I was getting somthing like 65 kilometres out of a tenners petrol which I thought was good? considering I threw it around most of the time :p
    Miles per tenner is useless information when comparing cars.

well you obviousally don't get my point.. I mean don't believe reviews as they tend to be wrong especially when it comes to mpg..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

+1. My 1.6 was great on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

They are heavy on fuel though. I was only getting 300-320 miles to the fill(55 liter tank) from my 1998 model. The 99 Corolla I had afterwards was getting me 400+ miles to the fill and that is from a 50 liter tank.

I had a mate who had the 1.4 focus and it was so slow it wasnt funny, You really felt how gutless the engine was when trying to move off from traffic lights..

I have the 1.6 focus and have to say it's a much better car with the bigger engine and believe it or not they are decent of petrol.. It worth paying the extra tax :D:D I can't exacly remember what milage I get out of a tenner but it certainly seems to last me a good while and I do a lot of driving..

I agree that the corolla might be a better drive but very dull altogether, I feel the focus has a more modern interior and looks a whole lot better on the outside to. I don't really agree that the focus feels cheap?
    The Focus is the better drive but is more cheaply built than the Corolla in my experience. The interior of the Focus for example might have more flare than that of the Corolla but the Corolla's interior is of better quality than that of the focus and wears the miles better.

An example of this is the gear knob and steering wheel. At 80-90 k miles both these items usually have considerable wear in the Focus, with the gear knob completely separating a common sight. In the Corolla I have seen many of their interiors still feel fresh at 200 k miles.

In reliability terms the Corolla especially if fitted with the 4e-fe will be the more reliable car, in fact they are about as reliable as cars come. However that is not to say that the Focus is an unreliable car but they do suffer from a few niggles like water pump housing failure, rear wheel bearings and coil packs are the most common issues.

Are you for real here?

Tbh the Focus while dynamically superior is just as much of a domestic appliance as a Corolla. To say a Focus is better in every way is just wrong. It's a better drive( in 1.6 up form) but the Corolla is better built and is the more reliable and more economical car of the two.
    I wouldn't call the Focus a problematic car but they do suffer from niggley issues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ARCD

I had a 1.8l diesel, estate version. Great on fuel got me to Cardiff and back with 4 passengers and still had some fuel left over for another couple of days, and I didn't drive it all that economically either

Speaking from experience, the Focus was the most unreliable car I've ever owned. Perhaps I was unlucky but in just under 2 years the drivers window stopped working 3 times, two track rods had to be replaced, one of the coolant hoses spontaneously burst, another one developed a small leak, the diesel pump had to be replaced, the gear linkage cable snapped while driving, the gearbox was a bit dodgy, both boot struts failed and I think there were some other minor issues too. I know a lot of those problems can be put down to simple wear and tear but it was far too regular for my liking, wouldnt be in a hurry to buy another one

By comparison I replaced it with a 1.4l Honda Civic from the same year (2001) and in the 15 months I've owned it I've replaced 2 ball joints and a rear windscreen wiper motor. If it has to be a 1.4 you buy I'd definitely recommend the Civic, doesn't quite drive as well as the focus but uber reliable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

There's nothing worse than an underpowered car. It takes all the fun out of driving. I know tax is ridiculously expensive and so is petrol but driving around in a car that has about as much power as a food mixer is too depressing not to warrant the extra few quid.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    They are heavy on fuel though. I was only getting 300-320 miles to the fill(55 liter tank) from my 1998 model. The 99 Corolla I had afterwards was getting me 400+ miles to the fill and that is from a 50 liter tank.

suppose it's a matter of opinion, I thought my civic was great on petrol and I have a mate who has an automatic one and he says his is decent on petrol aswell..

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    In reliability terms the Corolla especially if fitted with the 4e-fe will be the more reliable car, in fact they are about as reliable as cars come.

What model has that engine?

suppose it's a matter of opinion, I thought my civic was great on petrol and I have a mate who has an automatic one and he says his is decent on petrol aswell..
    Great at drinking petrol ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

eire-kp wrote: »
    What model has that engine?
    E10 and pre-facelift E11.

Advertisement