Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in Clare

Options
  • 07-06-2013 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey there,
    Would anyone have advice on the best spots to camp along the Clare coast?(not in a Camping site - somewhere free :cool:) We are thinking of heading to spanish Point or Lahinch... We would prefer to camp near enough to a beach is possible but not in a campsite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Not a good time for campervan parking in Clare I'm afraid:
    http://clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14466:lahinch-campervan-invasion-deplored&catid=74:general&Itemid=60

Spanish Point is fairly restricted also. The main carpark has height barriers and the roadside spaces have signs prohibiting campervans. Fanore is completely inaccessible because of height barriers. Kilkee also had a large contingent of campervans last weekend, mainly parked INSIDE the height barrier. I believe it had been opened to allow boat access for a while. While we were there the Gardai visited all campervans other than ours and most of them moved on, so I can only conclude they were doing something wrong.

ClareFM also ran a negative piece on campervans, so I was on for a while yesterday trying to defend the "decent" campervan folk.

So for the moment I would not recommend overnight parking at any of the main beach resorts. There are of course quieter spots which might suit. If you are talking about a tent, I would imagine once you keep out of the main thorougfares you would be fine. Lahinch is possibly a bit too built up for tents, but I have seen tents in the dunes in both Spanish Point and Fanore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm afraid this information may not be of help to the OP but might be of interest to others. I've heard positive reports about Pure Camping on the Loop Head Peninsula.

http://www.purecamping.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You could camp on the grassy areas around Seafield Beach, West of Quilty village. Or up past the golf club in Kilkee.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hellosailor

Thanks everyone we ended up camping in the Ocean View camp site (in a tent) in Lahinch but it was €10 per person!!! Which was crazy and way over priced in my opinion but my friends wanted to camp there so I went along with it... There was 5 of us so it cost €50 for just one night camping in a tent... Never thought of Quilty I might go there next time thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Thanks everyone we ended up camping in the Ocean View camp site (in a tent) in Lahinch but it was €10 per person!!! Which was crazy and way over priced in my opinion but my friends wanted to camp there so I went along with it... There was 5 of us so it cost €50 for just one night camping in a tent... Never thought of Quilty I might go there next time thanks :)

€50 for 1 tent is crazy!

Both white strands are barrier free for camper vans, although the one beside Spanish point often attracts camping vans that are parked in halting sites most of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I camped in Nagles camp site in Doolin before and really enjoyed it. Also, only €17 for large tent with 2 adults + €7 per adult = €38. Still not cheap but a very nice spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Hiya, we are just back from a stay at this campsite which is on the clare/galway border int he Burren, a few miles from Kinvara.. http://www.kittyscamping.com/ ... campsites are so over priced here but we payed 10 euro for a tent and 2.50 each adult, worked out 15 euro for two adult and our two young kids. Had kitchen and really nice communal area. I will defo be going back, one of the nicest and most chilled out campsites I have ever stayed at x Was well impressed x hths

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

DaLad wrote: »
    I camped in Nagles camp site in Doolin before and really enjoyed it. Also, only €17 for large tent with 2 adults + €7 per adult = €38. Still not cheap but a very nice spot!

Stayed there myself recently, very reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Rip off Ireland alive and well

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

How can anyone charge fifty euro for a tent... We had a six man tent at kittys camping and we were only charged fifteen euro !!!!!! If there had been six adults they would have charged tenth five euro... Fifty euro to camp in one tent, sure you could prob get a hotel room for not much more and cram in in comfort. I find a lot of campsites around Ireland are so up their own hole, the two I recommend is mountshannon and kittyscamping. Relaxed and not too expensive... So many campsite owners are miserable gits. I have decided to keep going bac to the ones that are value.. Camping should be cheap and cheerful and relaxed

• Advertisement
Advertisement