Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic bishops urge G8 leaders to clamp down on tax avoidance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yes they are tax exempt, but that is totally different; it's an ecumenical matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

i often wonder is there an unwritten rule in churches that forbids understanding the meaning of irony

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bunch of muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    Bunch of muppets

Elmo-480x238.jpg

Take that back, take that backkkkkk! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpdn_N6r7SL6fDy-yFGd_L6VFKXxrWOGq6m_LbLM93Kk_pLCiW

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

More "do as we say, not as we do" nonsense. As if the churches have been clamping down on any wrongdoings happening in-house.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Oh, look, some troublemaker got his letter published :)

http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/letters/bishops-tax-call-to-g8-leaders-1.1420740
    Some Guy wrote:
    Sir, – I note the recent statement from the bishops of 11 countries, including those of Ireland, urging the G8 leaders to clamp down on tax avoidance, stating in uncharacteristically clear terms that “It is a moral obligation for citizens to pay their fair share of taxes for the common good”.

As the second-richest asset-owner in the country after the state itself, a miraculous condition reached without the burden of the taxation that afflicts the rest of us, perhaps the church and the religious orders might like to practise the “moral obligation” they preach to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

bluewolf wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpdn_N6r7SL6fDy-yFGd_L6VFKXxrWOGq6m_LbLM93Kk_pLCiW

The biscuit.......it dawns......the Cookie Monster is..an ATHIEST! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Mainstream religion in not practicing what it preaches shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Sometimes i wonder if The RCC is actually an elaborate practical joke... and one day they'll come clean saying stuff like:

"We were SURE after we said that thing about how other people shouldn't avoid paying tax that you'd figure it out... maybe we were being too subtle"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Posts obligatory defence, putting out the worldwide charitable causes the Church supports and that it operates under the same Charities Acts that other NGOs operated under. That the tax raised gets filtered and absorbed into the State and only in part gets directed to good causes and instead is used to placitate their own supporters and bureaucratic organs, with minimum public murmur, now that is every so amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

freyners wrote: »
    i often wonder is there an unwritten rule in churches that forbids understanding the meaning of irony

St Andrew’s was a seminary 30 miles south-east of Edinburgh, where at any time several dozen young men were being prepared for the priesthood. They spent their days studying, praying, meditating, debating theology and learning how to run a parish.

In their six years at the secluded institution, the future priests made lifelong friendships and formed intimate cliques.

They even shared a common language: dinner was ‘rat pie’, communal bathrooms were ‘jakes’ and younger colleagues ‘pups’. On religious holidays, copious amounts of beer and wine (but never spirits) were served from lunchtime onwards. The raucous parties that ensued, bringing merriment to every tower and turret of the redbrick building, were known as ‘ragers’.

Sometimes, as with many an event involving too much alcohol, a ‘rager’ would end badly. And it’s one such occasion, said to have occurred at St Andrew’s 33 years ago, that this week brought scandal to the highest echelons of the Catholic Church. Cardinal Keith O’Brien,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

freyners wrote: »

Prepare for overload ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/archbishop-slams-smugness-of-bank-culture-235386.html
    Archbishop Diarmuid Martin said the recordings underlined the need for stronger regulation and oversight of financial institutions to ensure they did not abuse public trust again.

He said questions had to be asked about how the behaviour at Anglo evolved. “You ask yourself why is it that in such a huge institution that ethics didn’t address the question of how you manage honestly and transparently a business where you look after people’s monies that have been given to you in trust?”

Parallels could be drawn with the Catholic Church, he said. “The extraordinary complexity of the financial world can give people the impression that, I’m not really responsible for what happened.

We had this a little bit in the Church with the management of child sexual abuse — that it was a systems failure. I use the example where you are baking a cake. I [the Primate of Ireland] only put the sugar in and I only put the flour in but the cake is there and it’s bad cake, it’s a mouldy cake.

Everybody has to live up to their responsibilities. But there’s a problem in human nature — there is a goodness in all of us but there is a tendency to go in the wrong direction. That’s why we need checks and balances. We need proper regulation, we need transparency.

Cake? Cake??!! I think he's got the A&A munchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

LittleBook wrote: »
    Prepare for overload ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/archbishop-slams-smugness-of-bank-culture-235386.html

Cake? Cake??!! I think he's got the A&A munchies.

i'm sure he went on to say: "let them eat mouldy cake"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

“We had this a little bit in the Church with the management of child sexual abuse — that it was a systems failure. I use the example where you are baking a cake. I [the Primate of Ireland] only put the sugar in and I only put the flour in but the cake is there and it’s bad cake, it’s a mouldy cake."

Well surely that's the fault of the person baking the cake....
    I’m not really responsible for what happened.

20081126173842!Orly.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

We need proper regulation, we need transparency.
    That has to be the understatement of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Martin's latest statements can be summed up thusly:

pot-kettle-black.jpg?w=319&h=242

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

does the RCC have a trolling department? they must have, they couldnt possible not understand irony this much its not humanly possible.

Advertisement