Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 or Windows 8

Options
  • 06-06-2013 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I need a new Laptop and a lot of the new Laptops advertised seem to have Windows 8 installed on them and I'm just not sure on which OS to go for as I only really started to get the hang of Win 7.

I was only going to spend €300-€350 but after looking on PC World and D.I.D sites, would it be worth while bumping my budget up to €440 so I could get a laptop with an i3 processor?

15"+ screen size and (USB 3 if possible)

Well this is after turning into two questions:)

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I have a old netbook with Windows 7 and a new laptop with Windows 8. The user interface of XP, Vista, and Windows 7 have more similarities than differences, but Windows 8 is different. Got Windows 8 about a week ago, and I am almost up to speed, so learning the new OS interface is no big deal and can be mastered shortly. If you plan to keep your laptop for several years, you may want to get Windows 8, because some year into the future Windows 7 may no longer be supported by MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm in the exact same boat as the op. I've been hearing a lot of bad things about windows 8. As the op says, almost every laptop has windows 8 on it. If I were to buy a laptop with windows 8, would it void the warranty if I installed windows 7 on it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Make sure to get a laptop with a good touchpad with good gesture support. Makes using windows 8 a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Hi,

I would get Windows 8 if I was you. I have bought two of these and I think they are great value for 400 http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_C850

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Thanks lads, looks like I'll be buying online off electronicsireland.ie or laptopsforless.com great value to be had. Going for old reliable win 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

and defo bump up to an I3 processor. It's quite good. Was very fast. I'm now saving for an I7 or a haswell xD.
    but for most people an I3 is excellent and speedy.
    __
    Like others here 8 will have more "lifetime"
    but personally I'll be sticking to win 7..maybe when win 9 comes out I'll switch XD.

Hi,

I would get Windows 8 if I was you. I have bought two of these and I think they are great value for 400 http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_C850

Changed my mind again and went with Windows 8:eek:

Ordered the laptop in the above link, came in at 325 GBP delivered.

Thanks

Well the Toshiba laptop arrived today and I'm delighted with it. I can't see why some people don't like Win8, I find it fairly straight forward and if I didn't like the home screen with the tiles, I could just switch to the Desktop.

Early days yet but liking it so far.

Advertisement