Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using OAP free travel pass in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 06-06-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭

my elderly neighbor uses his free travel pass to travel to belfast once or twice a year,he wants to know if he can travel to other towns in the north with his pass, can anyone help with info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

horse7 wrote: »
    my elderly neighbor uses his free travel pass to travel to belfast once or twice a year,he wants to know if he can travel to other towns in the north with his pass, can anyone help with info.

Not at the moment but he is entitled to apply for a northern ireland OAP pass which he can use in the north as long as he is over 65.
    Application details in this link
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Appendix-3---All-Ireland-Free-Travel.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭horse7

Thanks, will pass that info on.

hi again, i have passed that info on to Joe (OAP) and he just got an information booklet SW40, on page 18 it reads about free travel on cross border journeys. It says on Journies covered,; you must use one through-ticket for your journey.for example if you go from cork to belfast, its free ,as long as the ticket clearly states belfast as your final destination. He wanted to go to belfast victoria station,but to do that he would have to change train at portadown, as the enterprise goes to belfast central station. Can he get a one through-ticket for belfast victoria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

horse7 wrote: »
    hi again, i have passed that info on to Joe (OAP) and he just got an information booklet SW40, on page 18 it reads about free travel on cross border journeys. It says on Journies covered,; you must use one through-ticket for your journey.for example if you go from cork to belfast, its free ,as long as the ticket clearly states belfast as your final destination. He wanted to go to belfast victoria station,but to do that he would have to change train at portadown, as the enterprise goes to belfast central station. Can he get a one through-ticket for belfast victoria?
    Joe needs to apply separately for the "Senior SmartPass" Card for internal travel within the North.

Form FTNI1 is available at all social welfare offices and also at Citizen Information Centres around the country.

When you have completed the application form:

The completed application form must be brought to your nearest local Social Welfare Office along with:

A recent passport standard colour photograph and
    Evidence of your identity (driving license/passport/any other form of photo id, if available) and
    Evidence of address (a recent utility bill, e.g. electricity/gas/phone/waste charges bill or a bank/building society/credit union statement) and
    Current Free Travel Pass

Following processing of your application, your Senior SmartPass card, together with instructions for use, will be posted direct to your home address by post. It may take up to six weeks to process the application.

There is no charge for your first Senior SmartPass card. There may be a charge for replacement cards. Please keep your Senior SmartPass card in a safe place.

Until then if the journey can be done as one through journey such as Dublin to Derry or Dublin to Bangor on the train then it should be covered but afaik it is dependant on the Dublin station staff knowing that it is possible and also knowing the codes for putting Belfast Victoria station as the destination.

Applying for and getting the Senior Smart pass will remove any worries and while it is an additional pass to be carried it will allow Joe to travel around all Ireland without worry.

Once again,thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Joe needs to apply separately for the "Senior SmartPass" Card for internal travel within the North.

Form FTNI1 is available at all social welfare offices and also at Citizen Information Centres around the country.

Applying for and getting the Senior Smart pass will remove any worries and while it is an additional pass to be carried it will allow Joe to travel around all Ireland without worry.

All good and factual advice Foggy.

There is,however,one aspect which some of the "Older Stock" have mentioned to me as a very strobgly held reason for NOT applying for the N.I. Smartpass.

I know of several who,on a point of principle,have refused to apply to a UK Government Department for a Travel Concession available in Ireland.

It is really a "head of a pin" arguement,but nonetheless it is held by,I would suggest,quite a few people of applicable age.

Tread Carefully etc etc....

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,583 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Any Enterprise ticket for Belfast Central is valid to Great Victoria Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

I intend travelling from Dublin to Belfast - Is the 'Irish' travel pass accepted on buses in Belfast city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I intend travelling from Dublin to Belfast - Is the 'Irish' travel pass accepted on buses in Belfast city.

No.

You must have the N.I. Senior Smartpass,although there is nothing to stop you playing the eejit and flashing the DSP one anyway...just don't be offended if it's politely declined....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The bus into the city centre will accept your train ticket but otherwise you pay your fare. If you are over 66 (I think) you can apply for a ROI Senior Smart Pass issued by the NI Translink. It works for all the NI buses and trains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement