Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseeker's Allowance Rate Dropped..

Options
  • 06-06-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I collected my Jobseeker's Allowance today and it had fallen €22.

I usually receieve the maximum rate of €188 but when I went to the post office today I received €166

I was on Back To Education Allowance for this college year (September-End of May).

I signed on for the first time on Wednesday since returning from BTEA.

I didn't receieve any notice that my rate was being dropped.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced similar or know why I have had a decrease? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

It could be due to you being paid into your bank account while on btea and now receiving your money in the post office... there could be a once off adjustment depending on the payment period. Best to check with your local sw office.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

Prior to being on BTEA were you on the full rate of €188? If you were on only €144 then then the figure of €166 would be made up on 3 days on the BTEA rate of €94 plus 3 days on the €144 rate of €72. When you finish on the BTEA you are changed back to the normal rate from the date you are no longer BTEA, which in this case look like half way through the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Sue Ellen wrote: »
    Prior to being on BTEA were you on the full rate of €188? If you were on only €144 then then the figure of €166 would be made up on 3 days on the BTEA rate of €94 plus 3 days on the €144 rate of €72. When you finish on the BTEA you are changed back to the normal rate from the date you are no longer BTEA, which in this case look like half way through the week.

I was on €188.

I read on another thread that the reason a rate may have dropped is because I was on €188 on Jobseekers Allowance due to the fact the Social Welfare give a period of time for when an applicant(?) comes off Jobseekers Benefit where they will still receive the maximum amount of €188 on Jobseekers Allowance. Maybe to give the person preparation to adjust, I'm not sure of the reason. I'm assuming my rate was kept at €188 whilst I was on BTEA because a person who receieves BTEA will receive the maximum rate of €188.

Now that I'm off BTEA and the time that the social welfare give a person who is going from Jobseekers Benefit to Jobseekers Allowance has elapsed, my rate has dropped to €166 from €188. I assume if I hadn't of gone to college my rate would have dropped to €166 long before now.

I'm hoping when I go back to college September my rate will increase back to €188.

Sorry if it sounds confusing, I've worded it as best as I can! Thanks for the help!

Sue Ellen wrote: »

I take it my rate is going to drop to €144 next week then?

Reading here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

Since 2013, People under 25 can now only receieve a maximum of €160 for BTEA.

It also says that if someone was receiving BTEA prior to January 1st 2013, they will receieve the same rate.

I will be going from Fetac to Level 8. I receieved BTEA last yeat but I wonder if I qualify as someone who was already on BTEA, and therefore will receieve €188, or if I'm considered as a new applicant to BTEA as I'm changing course/college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

could it be that you for example: normally collected your BTEA on a thursday and now your JSA claim is earlier in the week(tuesday)?
    If so, the smaller payment would be because you are now getting your money earlier in the week so they cant double pay you for say, the wedensday?
    It happened me when I went from JB to JSA. I got smaller payment as one is paid on a tues, the other on a wednesday as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm hoping when I go back to college September my rate will increase back to €188.

It will yes because the drop in increase only applies to new people taking up BTEA this September

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement